“The Palmer House - great pedigree, very dated.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmer House Hilton

The Palmer House Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Spring Break Savings
Ranked #83 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
“The Palmer House - great pedigree, very dated.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

The Palmer House is famous for its historical significance in the Chicago hotel scene. Long gone are the heydays of celebrities and royalty. What exists now is a grand old hotel well-past its prime.
The hotel has over 1600 rooms and it feels as if the investment to keep it fresh and up-to-date is missing. My room on the executive floor has dirty carpeting - inexcusable in a hotel that talks so much about its own grand heritage. The windows are single pane so everything going on outside is heard if not experienced.
I'm a faithful Hilton patron, but if I'm honest, I would not recommend this hotel to friends or family. Find a smaller, newer Hilton property instead.

• Stayed December 2012
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share a review—we take our guest feedback into great consideration. Please feel free to contact me for any additional questions or concerns.

Dardan Mehmeti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,118)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

A great pleasure in the best lobby a treat you should do it least once hours are from two until four. variety of breads, scones parfaits, petit-fours, opera cakes (the lyric opera is just down the street). Try the executive floor as an upgrade, it is worth it. An easy walk to millennium park and the magnificent mile.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Staying at the Palmer House in December is truly wonderful. Best lobby ever. Historic building in downtown. Have Afternoon Tea it is delicious and a lot of fun. Be sure to check out the Christmas Tree and the Peacock Doors and the gingerbread fireplace

• Stayed December 2012
Shelby Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

So I like to book hotels through Priceline, I usually bid on the rooms and get a decent price, at least 40% off the published price. Which is what I did for this room. We stayed there for 2 nights in October. When we got there the front desk informed me that there were no rooms with double beds except 1 which was a "accessible" room. Even though I booked the room with 4 people, 2 adults and 2 kids they didn't have any rooms except this, so I had to take it. The room itself was actually nice, it was an updated room. The bathroom was a bit of a problem. It had a stand up shower, with a seat for accessibility, but it had no door, just a small curtain which caused the floors to get very wet. and slippery. Again its an accessibility room, so I understand it was probably required to be that way. So the other annoyance was that the room was directly behind the elevator, which was extremely noisy, all night sounded like an airplane was taking off next to our room. Again, luckily my wife and I and the kids are heavy sleepers and weren't too annoyed by it, but it was terribly noisy. The other thing was that this hotel seemed to be in the business area of downtown, which is fine. But not a lot of restaurants were open past 9 within walking distance, at least not for a family with kids. One other thing I discovered was that SpotHero.com which is a parking service had a parking deal for this hotel, which was extremely reasonable, as long as you didn't need to take your car out during your stay. The lobby was great. The staff all seemed friendly. The indoor pool starts at 4 ft and is very tiny. So overall, I was mostly disappointed by the fact that they didnt have a double bed room even though that's what I booked through Priceline...so it was a nice hotel, but....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I apologize that we were unable to meet your request, and for any additional noise issues you experienced. We appreciate your review, for that we take guest’s feedback into great consideration. I hope you will give us the opportunity to make it right on your next visit.

montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My first stay at this hotel was in December 2011. When I entered the hotel I was amazed by the lobby. Very impressive. I was greeted at the Hilton Honors desk by an extremely nice person who welcomed me as a member, offered me free internet and a free upgrade to a higher floor. I was surprised by the size of the room, small, but the bath was lovely. Enjoyed my stay and vowed to return.

November 2012. This time, my family joined me and I was excited to show them this hotel. It was a special visit, as it was a birthday celebration, and we were attending a show in the area that evening. Upon our arrival, around 1:00pm, we were told our room wasn't ready, but the registration person took our phone number and promised to call when it was available. No problem, went to Art Institute around the corner. At around 5pm, we just went back, having never received a call.

We had booked a room on the executive floor as this was a special day/evening. Upon seeing our room, my family was happy that we had booked this "large" room, as anything smaller would not have been good for 3 people. It was a standard room at any other hotel. The room was located between the cleaning staffs supply closet and what must have been the common wall to the elevator's machine workings. Bothersome at night, but especially irritating starting at around 6am.

On the executive floor, a continental breakfast is served, that is if you can find a seat. It was completely crazy with people roaming with plates of food, some taking it back to their rooms. If you did find a table, you may have had to clean it. Internet service was available for 12 dollars, but don't bother. It worked for about 10 minutes in the evening and than 10 minutes in the morning.

Generally, I had a better time in my little room last year than on the executive floor this year. The beds, pillows and bath accessories are very nice and pretty much the same on the executive floor as in the smaller rooms. The concierge was very helpful and the bellman nice. Another plus, the Chicago Art Institute is only a block away, State St. is just outside the hotel's door and the lobby of the Palmer House is impressive, but you can visit without being a guest.

I only get to visit Chicago once a year, and if I do get another chance, I will consider a different hotel. For the price, there are better deals in the area.

Room Tip: Higher floor is better if facing the L train.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I love the old timey historic grandness of this hotel -- but I am here for business and traveled after a nasty bout of food poisoning, and just wanted to grab a bite at the bar and rest in front of the tv in my room. I am a Hilton Honors member and have stayed at a fair number of properties, but I have to say...it's strange that I could not find any of the standard (CBS, ABC, NBC) networks on the tv. 90% of the television offerings required a charge. It's so petty and yet, it has turned me off. I have to come back to Chicago next month, but I think I'll be staying elsewhere. Also, the offerings at the Lockwood were expensive for what you get. I don't mind paying $16 for a seafood appetizer, but I've had some amazing meals in Chicago for half the price. It's odd that I've had far better experiences at Hampton Inns in Arkansas than I've had here. Sad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review, and I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We most certainly offer those channels you mentioned in your review, without any additional charges as well. We offer quite a selection, and now offer HD channels. Please feel free to contact me for any additional questions or concerns. Again, thank you and I hope you will decide to return to our hotel on your next visit.

Normal, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Did one night at the Palmer House using Priceline - just to take my son to Chicago for a day - I have stayed there many times both for business and pleasure. I have always enjoyed my stays at the Palmer House - each room is different - this one had two queens and an updated (but tiny) bathroom.

Valet parking went off without a hitch, the bell staff were all super nice and we got room service as well (most expensive lunch ever - but all part of the experience)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Palmer House Hilton? Share your experiences!