“Excellent conference hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmer House Hilton

Save Saved
You added The Palmer House Hilton to your Saves list
The Palmer House Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast & WiFi Savings
Ranked #85 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent conference hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Attended a conference at the hotel and couldn't have asked for a better stay. Was upgraded to an executive room and it really makes a difference. Private elevators and great snacks during the day. Service was excellent and the location can't be beat. Great place to stay in Chicago.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

4,458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (910)
Ridgetown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

There may be better hotels in Chicago, although I haven't found one. There are some minor negatives like "no in-room coffee pots", "no in-room refridgerators", etc. Also, some rooms are fairly small. However, for sheer class and a sense of history, the Palmer House cannot be beat. What other Chicago hotel offers a 2.5 hour historical tour? Where else in the city can one find a lobby ceiling reminiscent of the Cistine Chapel? This hotel restored it's treasures, rather than destroying them. Wow!
For those of us who love the theatre, the hotel is very well-placed. There are five great theatres (with Broadway-class productions) within easy walking distance. The Art Institute of Chicago, with its great collection of impressionist masters is a very short stroll away. There are also a number of very good restaurants nearby.
For the more casual tourist, the Palmer House is a stop for the hop-on hop-off bus tour. This makes such things as Navy Pier, the Shed Aquarium, the Field Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry (with a real WWII German sub), etc. easily accessible.
The Magnificent Mile is a comfortable (if not short) walk but the more reasonable State Street shopping district is very close, as is the jewelry district.
This is not an inexpensive place to stay but it has location and class. Not a bad trade.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was my first time to Chicago where I lucked into staying at this amazing hotel I was able to upgrade to the executive floor where I surprised my sister (also her first time there) with a room with two queen sized beds and count them...two bathrooms. Was as decadent as I could imagine and since it included a very large continental breakfast, coffee, tea and soft drinks all day and a "high tea" from 5:00 to 7:00 which covered our dinner meals, we only had to buy our lunches while seeing the sights and shows around town. The hotel is lovely, historic, spacious rooms and definitely top notch.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, see about an upgrade to the executive level--well worth the extra cost. Rooms d...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

A very good stay at Palmer House for a conferecne. It is very close to the M for a quick trip from O'Hare airport. I was recognised as a Hilton Gold member and given a king size room away from any noise in the hotel and access to Executive lounge. Although the hotel was busy with conferences during my stay, I never had trouble finding a seat in lounge area. Restaurant was good for a couple of meals. Well situated in town within ten minutes of Magnificent Mile. Good stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hagerstown, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Everyone will tell you about the beautiful lobby. It certainly is. I had a suite, so I can't comment on a regular room. My suite was very nice and clean, beautifully decorated, two full baths. I found that every employee I dealt with in person was extremely nice. I had quite a different experience when I called the hotel a few times over the months leading up to my stay. Some of the oddities: common items found in even cheap hotels are not including in these rooms, not even in my pricey suite, like a coffee maker (!), microwave, pull out couch/bed, mini-fridge. You can request a coffee maker be brought to your room and it is complimentary. But a microwave, fridge, roll-away bed are all for an additional fee. No free wi-fi in your room either. Oddly, I had ordered the fridge when I made my reservation as instructed by the website, but when I checked in, they told me it came with my suite at no additional fee, so that was a bit of misinformation. I couldn't order the coffee maker ahead of time (one of the unpleasant phone calls I mentioned earlier) so I ordered it when I checked in. It didn't arrive that day or the next, so I had to call again and it finally came. I still have a hard time with these so-called "extras" needing to be ordered and paid for on top of the premium price already paid for these premium rooms at this premium hotel (and they warn you that there is no guarantee they will have the items available!) The hotel was packed when I was there... piles of people trying to get on the elevators, which are a bit slow. But that was just at certain peak times.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I made a reservatiionon 11/12 for the Palmer House for 11/21. I never received an e-mail only a confirmation number. Big Mistake! My family and friends had a great weekend planned until I called to reconfirm my State St room view. Misha (front desk)told me that I have a reservation but not at her Hilton hotel. My res. is for the Michigan Ave hotel. She said that they had plenty of rooms at the Palmer House with double beds for $129. Not to worry. I paid $148. she said she could book me, but not cancel my res. at the other hilton hotel. I would have to cancel with them. Hopefully I wouldn't get charged a cancellation fee I was transfered to Sylvia (Director of Reservations) who just appologized and said they only had rooms at the Palmer House with one king bed. But I told her that I needed a room for 3 adults. They offered a role away bed and that they would lower the price to $134. How confusing since Misha said room rates for 3 were $129 and that they had plenty of rooms with two double beds. After waiting 1.5 hours for Sylvia to call back with info about a room with two double beds I called and spoke with Kelly Walsh (Assit Director) who just apologized and said Sylvia was working on it. It had already been two hours since I first found out that I didn't have reservations at the Palmer House with a State St View. Why would I request a State St view from the Michigan Hotel location. My holiday was ruined thanks to Hilton. I ask to be refunded without paying a penalty and Kelly Walsh said that she could not give me a cancelation number but that her name and word would be enough. So I ask why would anyone every stay at any of your hotels again? They couldn't find me a room yet they had rooms available. I book another Hotel.

Room Tip: Don't trust your reservation even if you have a confirmation number. All meaningless
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience with booking your room, along with any confusion that occurred. Please feel free to contact me for any additional questions or concerns. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I hope you will give us the opportunity to make it right on your next visit.

Dardan Mehmeti
Manhattan KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My mom and I stayed at the Palmer House in September and loved it! It is a beautiful hotel, in a great location. We took the train from the airport and had no problems and it was much cheaper than a taxi.
Some have complained that the rooms are too small. Yes, they are small but the hotel was built in the 1800's so one should probably expect that. I thought they were quite comfortable and since we weren't planning on spending all our time in our room, it did not matter. The beds are very comfortable and were wonderful after a day of walking and seeing Chicago.
I would definitely stay here again! I am a travel agent and would reccommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Palmer House Hilton? Share your experiences!