There may be better hotels in Chicago, although I haven't found one. There are some minor negatives like "no in-room coffee pots", "no in-room refridgerators", etc. Also, some rooms are fairly small. However, for sheer class and a sense of history, the Palmer House cannot be beat. What other Chicago hotel offers a 2.5 hour historical tour? Where else in the city can one find a lobby ceiling reminiscent of the Cistine Chapel? This hotel restored it's treasures, rather than destroying them. Wow!
For those of us who love the theatre, the hotel is very well-placed. There are five great theatres (with Broadway-class productions) within easy walking distance. The Art Institute of Chicago, with its great collection of impressionist masters is a very short stroll away. There are also a number of very good restaurants nearby.
For the more casual tourist, the Palmer House is a stop for the hop-on hop-off bus tour. This makes such things as Navy Pier, the Shed Aquarium, the Field Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry (with a real WWII German sub), etc. easily accessible.
The Magnificent Mile is a comfortable (if not short) walk but the more reasonable State Street shopping district is very close, as is the jewelry district.
This is not an inexpensive place to stay but it has location and class. Not a bad trade.
- Also Known As:
- The Palmer House Hilton Hotel
- The Palmer House Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Palmer
- Palmer House Chicago
- Palmer House Hilton
- Chicago Palmer House Hilton
- Palmer House Hilton Chicago
- Palmer Hilton House
- Hilton Chicago
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palmer House Hilton welcomes you from the moment you enter our remarkable lobby. It’s ceiling of 21 panels featuring Greek mythological scenes rich in paint and architecture could rival that of the Sistine Chapel. A perfect spot to immerse yourself in the culturally rich history of Chicago and lively buzz of passer bys while relaxing with a hand prepared cocktail or sipping from a selection of blended teas during our Afternoon Tea. Located adjacent to our Lobby, you’ll enjoy dining at Lockwood Restaurant, AAA 4 Diamond restaurant and cocktailing at Potter’s Lounge, our modern twist on a prohibition speakeasy. Our Contemporary guestrooms blend decor of warm textures and jewel tone accents synonymous with the traditional Palmer House grandeur while integrating modern media capabilities include a 37 inch flat screen television, wireless and wired internet connections and alarm clock with auxiliary port. Enjoy the Hilton Serenity Dream bed featuring a plush top mattress and crisp linens,and Peter Thomas Roth bath amenities. The hotel is walking distance to the Blue Line and the Orange Line “L” stations for quick transport to O’Hare International Airport and Midway Airport, respectively. The Palmer House Hilton is steps to all the action along State Street including Macy’s, Nordstrom Rack, American Apparel, H&M, Block 37 Mall and the Chicago Theatre. The hotel is also a short walk to The Art Institute, Joffrey Ballet, Cadillac Theatre, Jeweler’s Row, Millennium Park, John G. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Otel, Hotwire, Venere, Amex, Olotels, getaroom.com, Tingo and HotelsClick so you can book your The Palmer House Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.