There may be better hotels in Chicago, although I haven't found one. There are some minor negatives like "no in-room coffee pots", "no in-room refridgerators", etc. Also, some rooms are fairly small. However, for sheer class and a sense of history, the Palmer House cannot be beat. What other Chicago hotel offers a 2.5 hour historical tour? Where else in the city can one find a lobby ceiling reminiscent of the Cistine Chapel? This hotel restored it's treasures, rather than destroying them. Wow!
For those of us who love the theatre, the hotel is very well-placed. There are five great theatres (with Broadway-class productions) within easy walking distance. The Art Institute of Chicago, with its great collection of impressionist masters is a very short stroll away. There are also a number of very good restaurants nearby.
For the more casual tourist, the Palmer House is a stop for the hop-on hop-off bus tour. This makes such things as Navy Pier, the Shed Aquarium, the Field Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry (with a real WWII German sub), etc. easily accessible.
The Magnificent Mile is a comfortable (if not short) walk but the more reasonable State Street shopping district is very close, as is the jewelry district.
This is not an inexpensive place to stay but it has location and class. Not a bad trade.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- North America’s most established hotel, the Palmer House Hilton first opened its doors in 1871 and has remained the place to "see and be seen" in downtown Chicago. We continue evolving to serve you with the latest conveniences and comforts in meetings, accommodations and dining - a hip and historic blend of modern nuances and Chicago cultural significance. Whether you’re holding a gala in the famed Empire Room or an intimate gathering in one of our hospitality suites, your event is sure to be a success. Here, you’ll be the host in the Chicago hotel that’s been the venue of choice for celebrities, politicians, and royalty for more than a century.When you come to the Palmer House Hilton, you don’t just stay here. You live here—even if it’s only for a night. That’s why all of our guest rooms and suites have just the right touches to make you feel right at home. You’ll sleep well on our Hilton Serenity Dream bed featuring a plush top mattress and crisp linens, lathering up with Peter Thomas Roth bath products, perceptual service and a full host of amenities to keeping you connected – from flat screen HD televisions, wired and wireless high-speed internet to alarm clocks with auxiliary ports, you’ll find everything you need to rest easy. Lockwood Restaurant, your Farm to Fork, AAA 4 Diamond destination open for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as afternoon tea. The Lobby Bar at Lockwood is a favorite for locals and travelers alike for craft beers and craft cocktails with Palmer House private reserves and labels. Potter’s is the hip spot to enjoy a retro mix of perfectly poured libations and delectable light fare while reminiscing about the hotel’s history. The hotel is walking distance to the Blue Line and the Orange Line “L” stations for quick transport to O’Hare International Airport and Midway Airport, respectively. The Palmer House Hilton is steps to all the action along State Street including Macy’s, Nordstrom Rack, American Apparel, H&M, Block 37 Mall and the Chicago Theatre. The hotel is also a short walk to The Art Institute, Joffrey Ballet, Cadillac Theatre, Jeweler’s Row, Millennium Park, John G. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hilton Hotels, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Palmer House Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palmer House Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Palmer
- Palmer House Chicago
- Chicago Palmer House Hilton
- Palmer House Hilton Chicago
- Palmer Hilton House
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton