“Outstanding!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmer House Hilton

You added The Palmer House Hilton to your Saves list
The Palmer House Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, IL 60603 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Early for Summer!
Ranked #86 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Outstanding!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My Wife and I stayed in this hotel on a vacation we took to Chicago. We both loved this hotel in everyway possible. The rooms were absolutely spoteless everytime you walked into them, beds were comfortable, and room service was outstanding as well. We ate at all of the restaurants that were in the hotel during our stay, and did not have a bad meal in any of them. What I like most about this hotel was something that maybe some people might not care about, but I did. All of the staff was down to earth, and very friendly. I don't mean friendly like it's their job to be friendly, I mean that they really made you feel like they really wanted to help you to enjoy your stay in their hotel as well as you visit to Chicago. I am from a very small town in the midwest, and when we stayed here it was the very first time I had ever been to a city the size of Chicago. The town I am from has a population of 108 people. The lobby of this hotel will hold more people than that. So needless to say it was a bit of culture shock to be in a city that large, and trying to find our way around was a little bit nerve racking. I also grew up in the country, and when I walked into the lobby of this hotel I actually thought that surely they would kick my hillbilly, blue jean & boot wearing rearend out, but everyone was extremely nice. The concierge helped us everytime that we had any questions about where we should eat, what we should go do, or the easiest way to get from point A to point B and back. The bellhops were hillarious, and would joke around with us everytime that we saw them. I didn't quite understand that you were supposed to tip the guy who blows his whistle to get you a cab (again I grew up in a town that has never even seen a cab) so at the end of the trip I gave the guy $40 dollars to make up for everytime that I hadn't tipped him throughout the week. Anyway, I could keep going on about this hotel, and how much I loved it, but I think you get the point. If you are looking for an extremely nice hotel, with friendly staff who do an excellent job, and who will help make your trip the best it can be then you can't go wrong staying at the Palmer House Hilton!

Room Tip: It seemed to me that all of the rooms were very nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,155)
  • Turkish first
Ithaca, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Palmer House used to be a grand place. The lobby is still magnificent, with incredibly high ceilings and murals on them, chandeliers, and a belle epoch feel. The ballroom, too, retains much of the charm of its heyday. But the guest rooms are showing their age. Wallpaper peeling off the walls, small and not much soundproofing. The bed was very comfortable, and there were ample feather pillows. The bathroom was clean and well-lit, with plenty of plush towels. A plus was that I could get it as cool as 60 degrees for sleeping, something that many hotels don't allow you to do. I continue to be annoyed by hotels that charge over $200 per night, and then want an additional fee for wifi and the use of the gym. There was not even free wifi in the seminar rooms! Staff were friendly.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed there in April 2012 in an executive suite. Like everyone else, we also thought the lobby was stunning. The room was small, even for a suite, but we expected that since they're right in the heart of Chicago DT. The staff was helpful in pointing out helpful hints and recommending local restuarants. The breakfast and evening reception was above average and we appreciated that only rooms designated execitive (only two floors) had access to reception and breakfast. Overall, excellent experience and would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Greensboro, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Hilton Palmer House is a really grand hotel in the tradition of old. The lobby and hotel bar area really beautiful and look like something out of Boardwalk Empire. The hotel is close to a lot of shops and restaurants, which are all walking distance or even right next door. I had a room on the 18th floor and never heard any noise from the trains at night. I had a "modern" room which was nicely decorated and clean. The room itself and the bathroom were a little small, but I stayed there for 5 nights and the size was no bother to me. The elevators are a little slow, but there was only one time during my stay when I thought the wait was excessive. The staff was all very polite and helpful. On the street level there is a Starbucks, Freshi, Chicago Souvenier Shop and the absolutely delightful Merz Apothecary. If you love beauty and health items, I positively recommend you set aside some time to spend at Merz.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a modern room.
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed 4 nights around a wedding we attended at the hotel. Lobby is stunning, Empire Room where the reception was held is amazing. The food and service for the wedding reception was outstanding. The regular rooms are just ok, but the suites are exceptional. Our daily maid service was excellent, they were attentive and made sure they knew what we needed and when we would be around.
The location is perfect, right on the orange line and the red line. Super easy to get around. No need for a car at all.
Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Suites are definitely the way to go if you can afford it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lethbridge, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Look. I call 'em as I see 'em. Last year, you may note my less than flattering review of the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco. For a high end hotel the service was not up to par, not only in what was delivered, but in HOW it was delivered.

Now. Regarding the Palmer House Hilton. Wonderful stay, beautiful hotel, excellent location in downtown Chicago. To begin with, our room was small but very clean and on the Executive Floor - which give you not only a nice morning continental breakfast, but with two dedicated elevators serving the two executive floors exclusively - nice touch.

Regarding service - perfect. From the desk clerks, to the wait staff, to the cleaning staff - I haven't been given so many smiling and sincere "hello's" and "good morning's" in any previous hotel experience. I don't know if the hotel was pumping in something in their air vents but the staff was very friendly and engaging almost without exception. I mean - the banquet cash bar tender greeted me with a great smile, talked to me about his life in Chicago and a brief stay in San Antonio (nice, but too hot in the summer).. the hotel is magnificent with a magnificant history - but it really was the people who made it stand out.

Lobby, as others have said, was stunning. The Potter's Lounge food was good, service was better.

I can give a full two-thumbs up to this hotel, without reservation. Stay here - you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Spend the couple bucks and stay on the Executive Floor. The breakfast and afternoon drinks, combine...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on the Palmer House—we greatly appreciate your response! I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will have the chance to visit again soon.

Best regards,
Dardan Mehmeti
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Upon entering the lobby, I was overwhelmed by it's stunning beauty. My reservation was for a King room, I arrived early and a Queen room was provided as an alternate to accommodate my need to check-in immediately.

At first glance when entering the room, I was pleased that it had been redone with modern decor. However, I quickly became underwhelmed with its small size and miniature bathroom. To make matters worse, the bathtub did not drain properly, leaving me ankle deep in water during my shower and the electrical outlet in the bathroom did not function. Additionally, the wall are paper thin leaving me privy to conversations going on in both adjoining rooms including a late night rant on one side, followed by an early morning show tune being belted out on the other, paired with noisy staff on cellphones/walkie talkies in the hallways.

I stayed in total for two nights and didn't have a peaceful nights sleep on either night. For the amount of money paid to stay in this hotel, I expected much better accommodations and certainly a much better experience. I will not return to this hotel, nor would I recommend it to anyone else - other than to enjoy a cocktail in the stunning lobby.

Room Tip: bring ear plugs
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on our hotel. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. It’s unfortunate that you were unsatisfied with your stay. We take each guest’s feedback into great consideration.

Dardan Mehmeti

Been to The Palmer House Hilton? Share your experiences!