“Location, Location, Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Chicago Hotel

You added Omni Chicago Hotel to your Saves list
Omni Chicago Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   676 North Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #36 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Marshall, United States
“Location, Location, Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My daughter, granddaughter and I visited Chicago for my granddaughter's 8th birthday. The Omni in right on Michigan Ave and Disney Store is right across the street. The service was excellent. The room was clean and very nice. My granddaughter used the pool. Nice to find a hotel in downtown Chicago with an indoor pool. Restaurant was great and so was room service (very good pizza). The location is convenient to shopping, but the staff was wonderful. We will definitely be staying at the Omni when we visit Chicago again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed at the Omni Chicago on June 27 through the 29th. I booked the stay for my boyfriends 28th Birthday I wanted to do something very special and show him a good time. That was not what we had at the Omni. Check-in was okay the front desk staff was not very friendly at all but check in was quick. We went to our room and it was nothing what the pictures showed. I book a corner Superior Suite because they said it was one of the biggest suites they have in the hotel. The room was very tiny. It had a separate living space but that was tiny and the room was very claustrophobic. The bathroom had mold around the tub and the pillows had hair on them. The television in the living room was a flat screen but it was about a 32inch maybe smaller. The television in the room was very old and outdated, it was one of the bib back televisions and that was about a 32 inch or smaller. The hotel is very very old and it needs a nice touch up. The staff are not nice nor friendly there and I was shocked because this is suppose to be a 4 star hotel but it was far from it. I asked to change rooms that night because of the mold and the hair and they informed me that they were booked to capacity for the weekend. I then asked for someone to come and change the sheets and no on ever came. We were able to transfer to another room the following day because we had a conjoined room with a family and they were complaining about the music we were playing. The music was not loud at all but we understood that they had kids and we wanted to be respectful. We called to the front desk and they were able to move us to a higher floor without a conjoined room. Now the night before when we tried to move because of the mold and the hairs on the pillows and sheets we were told they were booked to capacity but mysteriously they had a room open up. I will not be staying at the Omni ever again and I have informed my School District that they should not use them either. I have also let my friends and family know about our stay. I have stayed at plenty of hotels and this has far been the worse of my stays. I am very disappointed because I thought the hotel was going to exceed my expectations and they just fell short.

Room Tip: I would not stay here. The Ritz Carlton is not to far and they have exceptional service and rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
We are sorry that you didn’t enjoy our hotel on your recent visit. We are an all-suite hotel and the smallest rooms are 400 square feet. We do have larger suites than the Superior Suite available for a premium. As far as the cleanliness of the room, we apologize for letting you check into a room that doesn’t meet our housekeeping standards. We are happy to move you to a new room in the event this happens if we are not sold out. Housekeeping should have been timelier in coming to your room to fix the issue, and we apologize that it wasn’t addressed. We are preparing for a renovation later this year. As far as having a room available the next day, but not having one available the previous night, our occupancy changes daily and had availability the next evening. We don’t want to keep a guest in a room that hadn’t been properly cleaned and would have moved you had we had another room available. We will share your review with our front office manager and work to improve the friendliness of our service. We know you do not plan to return, but we hope you and other Trip Advisor users see our many positive scores and understand we often provide great rooms and great service. We’re sorry we missed the mark during your stay.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Chicago was the last stop of our trip, and we were very excited about the hotel based on what is written on the website: "Located in the heart of the Magnificent Mile, the Omni Chicago Hotel is one of the area's best-loved hotels and home to Michigan Avenue's only all-suite luxury accommodations. Every guest room exudes the lavish sophistication you expect from a four-diamond hotel.". Sounds amazing? Oh yes, we couldn't wait. So based on that description, and the pictures on the website we were very excited. Upon entering our room however our hearts plummeted. The suite would have been amazing in like 1990! It was old and dated in every way possible. The room has two TV's, one in the living space and the other in the bedroom. We were looking at the living room one first thinking it looks really old, and then burst out laughing at ourselves when we walked into the bedroom and saw a big box TV that I havent seen anything like for about 15 years. I really have no issue with old TV's, but these dated technologies are not what we would expect in a "all suite luxury hotel". We then noticed the cd player on the bedside table. I am way behind the technology times and even I have had an ipod for 5 years and before that an MP3, so I am genuinely curious to know who still carries cds these days. The 3* best western even had an ipod dock. Again, no issue with a cd player, but this does not meet the high standards of "sophistication" as per the description on the website. The carpet was coming up in places, some of the sockets were hanging off the wall, other sockets were terribly uneven, the bathroom looked dirty (though I suspect it is aged as opposed to unclean) and when you go to the toilet, you are met with a mirror so you have the pleasure of watching youself use the loo!

I was so disgusted I complained. I was disgusted at the picture painted on the website and the actual reality we had before our eyes. If I had access to the internet (wifi was not complimentary, again something I have not experienced in a hotel for years) I would have brought up the website to make my point. The receptionist was very kind and apologised. If we had booked directly I would have demanded a refund and booked in somewhere else there and then. We left for food and upon our return we were told that after that night we would be upgraded. That night we also realised the windows are also very old and in need of an upgrade. If you are a light sleeper DO NOT STAY HERE. Emergency service sirens are very frequent and you can hear them perfectly in the room. Luckily we are heavy sleepers so once asleep we did not hear them, but I was still disgusted at the noise given the "lavish sophistication" we had read about.

The "upgrade" was more of a shunt along. The room was very slightly bigger (not that this bothered us) and we had a view of Michigan avenue (again, not bothered - I also do not see this as a desirable feature). I was not impressed and made my feelings clear; the room change was simply a sugar coating as my argument was their rooms did not reflect the description they have on line and this was what needed changing. They offered to move us again, but the room was the same as what our "upgrade" was, and as we felt we had already wasted an hour of our time packing from one room to the next we were not interested. The "upgrade" also had a family next to us. I have no problem with families but we could hear the baby crying all night, so the walls obviously also need some attention.

Overall this is one of the worst hotels we have stayed in. Not because it was horrific per say, but compared to the description they offer it was horrific. As far as I am concerned, the picture they paint online is one big fat lie and should be met with extreme caution. Essentially what this hotel needs desperately is a massive upgrade. It looks like something from 1990 and I would rather stay in a 3* best wester than this "4 diamond luxury suite". I have attached some photograhs to demonstrate how the very old appliances and dated room do not match the "luxury" and "sophistication" as described by the Omni website.If I could upload sound files I would upload the recording I took while lying in bed of the emergency sirens that occur on a regular basis. If I could rate 0 of 5 then this hotel would get it. Take your money elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
We’re sorry you didn’t enjoy your recent stay with us. We are nearing a full room renovation, so many of the room amenities (televisions, cd player, etc) will be replaced in the near future with more modern amenities. In regard to the condition of the room, we should not have allowed a room with loose carpet or electrical outlets “hanging off the wall” to be assigned to any guest. Our Wi-Fi is not free, but if you join our complimentary Select Guest program it is free for your entire stay. With a great location on Michigan Avenue also comes proximity to area hospitals. All hotels along Michigan Avenue have this challenge, but we are happy to provide ear plugs or move you to the other side of the building if we have available rooms. We’re sorry that the room we moved you to had a family next door with a crying child. Our rooms do have soundproofing, but it is difficult to block out every noise from guests in the building. We hope you find another hotel in Chicago that you prefer. And if not, we welcome you to come back after our renovation and see our improvements.
Aaron, Hotel Manager
Cincinnati, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Everthing about our stay at the Omni Chicago was perfect. The room was exceptionally clean, location was excellent. We encountered no problems whatsoever, which allowed us to enjoy our stay in Chicago. We make the trip every summer, so I will continue to book our room at the Omni.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Freeland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I wish I could give this hotel a better review. We visited over the weekend with our kids and at first had a great experience. The room was as expected and the location of the hotel was excellent. It was my birthday, and the hotel surprised me with a complimentary cake on our first night there. They also dropped off two goodie bags with cookies and milk for our kids! However, on our last night there the people in the room next to us played very loud music and we had to call security to address the issue. They did respond right away, however the walls were so paper thin even though they turned their music down, it was not enough to make us comfortable. If our kids were not with us we could have maybe dealt with it, however for the price we paid to stay at this hotel we expected a top notch visit! Also, I left a pair of brand new shoes behind and when I called the hotel they said the maid did not find them. While they were friendly and responded to my inquiry right away, I am very disappointed the maid stole my shoes and the hotel did not offer to reimburse or make the situation right.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We apologize for the noise issue with the guests next door. It’s our goal to make sure all guests have a good night’s sleep. If you were still not comfortable after security had them turn the music down, we would have done our best to move you to another room, but depending on the hour that might have been a bigger hassle to pack up your suitcases. We’re sorry that you left your shoes behind as well. We have a very high success rate of finding lost items and sending them back to our guests, but we are sorry that your shoes were not found in the room. The report is on file and we will let you know if they are found in the near future.
Aaron, Hotel Manager
Chicago, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed in downtown Chicago for the first night of our honeymoon. The location and service were great. The staff was friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make our visit special. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. The TV in the bedroom part of the suite was an old tube TV. The remote didn't work. Small things considering we didn't stay downtown to watch TV. Overall, I would certainly stay again.

Cardiff by the Sea, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This hotel has wonderful staff members particularly in the 626 restaurant; however, management needs work. Also...the Omni frequent stayer program is not as good as others. Rooms are a little worn...needs new carpet, paint & upholstery.