“great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Chicago Hotel

Save Saved
You added Omni Chicago Hotel to your Saves list
Omni Chicago Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   676 North Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Parking or Rooms!
Ranked #27 of 167 hotels in Chicago
london
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

this place could not have been better located but definitely not 4.5 star hotel. have to get elevator up to reception then change elevators to floor a little annoying when busy. restaurant and bar excellent and i have to say the bar maid was a genius with her cocktails you have to have one and the waiting staff were so friendly and helpful. cheese board worth a go too. the room we got first was a twin as no kings left even though booked this so not a comfortable first night but second room was great corner room with lots of light and a huge window behind bed. join omni rewards wifi expensive otherwise. the hotel needed some updating but on the whole good. gym facilities good and so is pool which is located through the gym as difficult to find

Room Tip: get a corner king room windows and view beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We're sorry that we only had a two double bed room upon check-in, but glad we were able to move you to a corner suite the next day. We are currently in the early stages of planning our room renovation. We hope you will come back and see the final product when it's complete.

1,504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We planned a girls weekend in Chicago and choose the Omni Hotel. In every way we were impressed by all staff members, their friendliness, helpfulness, and timeliness was suburb. The location was excellent, we could walk everywhere we wanted to go. Our favorite meal of the weekend was the Omni's breakfast buffet. Delicious pastries and breads, delectable meats, and the freshest fruits.

• Stayed December 2012
Shenandoah, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Having stayed here a few years ago for a meeting, I decided to book the same hotel again, having nice memories of the place. I have to say that I will not be coming back. The hotel has 2 good points: Location (a half block from Michigan Ave, nicely situated between points of interest and shopping) and large suites. Getting in is odd, as you first enter a small lobby, take an elevator to the 3rd floor (where the front desk is) and then a separate elevator up to the rooms. There was almost no holiday decorations, as opposed to every other Michigan Ave hotel. The staff was moderately friendly, except that the concierge was not but the doormen definitely were (neutral). However, the bellman took my luggage to the front desk and no further, leaving me to lug it up to my room. I signed up for their preferred program but got no water and never had Starbucks delivered to my room like others have mentioned.

However, the rest of the stay was marred the a number of bad points. First was the room. The room, while clean, and big, was otherwise unremarkable. Flat screen in the sitting room offset by small bedroom TV, and the furniture was OK. The bed was not particularly comfortable, unless you like very firm mattresses, but was without lumps. My room was next to the elevators, and the bed is against that wall, so elevator noise kept me up the first night, but the bed was far enough away that hall noise was minimal. The towels were very scratchy and thin, especially for a nicer hotel, and while normally I do not notice this much, the toilet paper was single ply and so rough that it felt as I was receiving dermabrasion.

Housekeeping was spotty. Had turn down service only once my entire stay, and on 2 of 4 nights, they forgot to replace the travel cups so I could take a cup of coffee with me as I walked to the shuttle bus. Little things, but made my stay noticeably less comfortable.

Upon coming out of the elevator on 3 of my 4 nights at the hotel, the hallway literally reeked if cigarette smoke, so much so that I went back down and asked if they had mistakenly put me on a smoking floor (the entire hotel is nonsmoking I found out). As far as I could tell, no effort was made to stop the smoking form occurring, although they did send someone to liberally spray air freshener up and down the hall each time.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel at this point based on my stay. On my next visit, I will probably go with the Westin, Marriott, or Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Get a higher room to avoid traffic noise and do not get one by the elevator!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
We apologize that we didn't provide help getting your bags to your room. You are right. The little things do add up. We're sorry that you had to deal with cigarette smoke in the hallway, a lack of attention to detail from housekeeping and a bed that wasn't very comfortable. When a guest is smoking on one of our floors we do everything possible to locate the source and warn them to stop or else we will have to remove them from the hotel. We also charge a large cleaning fee to any guest who smokes in the room to discourage it. We know you will most likely try another hotel next time you are in Chicago, but we hope that if you don't find a better place that you will give us another try.
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I arrived at 7:30 a.m. to the hotel. Check-in wasn't until 3pm. They got me checked in right away. Don't forget to sign up for their free preferred program. Water on your arrival and fresh starbucks delivered to your room every morning. Uniquely tailored for each guest. Also a great location on Michigan Ave.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights and I will definitely be returning. There is a huge focus on customer service and we experienced nothing but the best here.

First of all, the location is fantastic. Right on Michigan Avenue and close to all of the shopping. We got to the hotel at noon expecting to drop off our bags and return at 3 for check in, but we were pleasantly surprised that our rooms were ready.

The rooms are large and it is definitely nice having a separate sitting area from the bedroom. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. The bathroom is very big as well and there is lots of room for 2 people to get ready.

The staff here are amazing. Everyone was so friendly and we definitely felt welcomed. The perks that come with being a select guest (free to join) really made our stay exceptional. We had a high floor room, a morning beverage brought to our room every morning, free wi-fi, and shoe shining. The nightly turn down service is a nice touch as well!

We happened to be in Chicago for the Festival of Lights and received a full page letter the night before letting us know what to expect. (What time the parade would be passing by, delays to expect with parking and getting a cab) This was helpful since there were so many people out for the parade!

Some reviewers have commented on the separate elevators from the ground level to reception and then the ones up to the rooms. We did not find this an inconvenience at all.

We really enjoyed our stay here and look forward to returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were very pleased with our stay at the Omni Hotel right on Michigan Ave in Chicago! We have stayed at other locations on and near Michigan Ave & we felt this was one of the better locations that we have stayed at in Chicago. The location of the hotel can't be beat being right on Michigan Ave. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go to based on the great location of the hotel. Another advantage to the Omni over other Michigan Ave area hotels is that it is a suite hotel, so the rooms were much roomier than other hotels we have stayed at in Chicago. There was a large living room area with tv and wet bar, large & clean bathroom, and then a bedroom area with another tv. Since I was traveling with a friend, it was nice for each of us to have our own area. The staff at the Omni was all very friendly & helpful. We will definitely consider staying at the Omni again when we return to Chicago.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Midland, mi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My family stayed at the omni during thanksgiving. First of all, the big plus of this hotel is obviously the location : in the middle of Michigan avenue, perfect spot for shoppers.
First issue is the size of the beds : not really queen size and difficult for 2 adults. The second issue was more important : they forgot to clean the room ! Inacceptable at this range of price. The third issue was the bill for the bar : the hotel charged us something that we never used.
Maybe bad luck for us but I was disappointing and probably will not come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We thank you for coming to stay with us during Thanksgiving, and we're glad you enjoyed the hotel's location. We're sorry for any confusion on bed types. Our rooms with two beds are double beds, not queen beds. These rooms do have a sleeper sofa to accommodate more people if needed. Our housekeeping staff should have cleaned the room each night of your stay. We apologize that it didn't happen, as well as for the billing issue for the bar. These are not common issues for our guests, so we hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future. We would like to show you the service we're capable of delivering.

Been to Omni Chicago Hotel? Share your experiences!