“In one word..."fabulous"!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbus, OH
“In one word..."fabulous"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Chicago for 3 nights (6/22-6/25). The purpose of this trip was to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday & to do some sightseeing/shopping. On a previous visit we stayed at The Drake Hotel (which is also very nice) but the staff at the Hotel Monaco went out of their way to make sure this trip was memorable as well as comfortable. We booked on Priceline and got a great rate--the only drawback was that you cant guarantee a queen room (Priceline's fault--not the hotel). However, the front desk cheerfully upgraded us to a King Mediterranean suite (Room 905) with a partial view of the river. The padded window seats (3 of them!) are amazing as is the massive jacuzzi tub--so relaxing. My youngest daughter actually preferred sleeping in the window seat to the sofa bed. There is no in-room coffeemaker and we are late-risers (coffee is served 6am-9am in lobby) but a quick call produced a coffeemaker that we used throughout our stay. We didnt have turndown service on any night of our stay (slight negative) but the manager did send a personal welcome note & complimentary champagne for my daughter's birthday--a nice touch! I might mention we are Kimpton InTouch members--all of my requests were met (non-pet floor; quiet room w/view, highest floor possible, etc.) even though we booked with a 3rd party so I would suggest joining their rewards program (free) if you arent already a member. I hope to return to Chicago again soon and we will definitely stay at the Hotel Monaco!! My hats off to Kimpton for making us feel like "special guests"--not just ordinary travelers.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

This review is rather late, but I had some time to think about what I wanted to write & essentially we (my husband & I) had a great stay. My only complaint was that I slept very little due to very loud construction noise (i.e. jackhammers, etc) which was a result of the city doing roadwork the entire weekend of my conference; the hotel said they had no advance notice of this when I asked about it. We stayed in a lovely Mediterranean suite w/ river view, which I would highly recommend - lots of room to spread out. Service was great. Dining in the restaurant was ok (Hotel Birnham's restaurant was wonderful). We also enjoyed walking to other restaurants in the area (loved Osteria Via Stato) & picking up snacks at Trader Joe's. We also were able to see Wicked our first evening in Chicago & went on the Chicago Architectural Foundation riverboat tour. My first introduction to L'Occitane products which I have since ordered (love that Verbena scent). We loved the complimentary bath salts to use in the jacuzzi. In the future, if I ever return to this or any other hotel that is doing roadwork, I will change my room to an interior room or change hotel altogether as it was very unpleasant to exist on so little rest, but I guess this wasn't the fault of the hotel. It was a rather expensive room because it was conference season.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Stayed at Hotel Monaco 6/24-6/26 and really enjoyed my stay there. Hotel staff was friendly. Stayed at room 912 which was a King river view room. Absolutely loved the bed and the window seat. So comfortable I took a nap on the window seat. Loved the turn down service to the Hotel lobby to the free wi-fi. The only thing from my experience there that I didn't like was the walls from the hall way to the room apparently are too thin or something. There was a loud guy in the hall way talking on his cell around 930pm on 6/24 on the 9th floor. Was about to say something to the front desk when I heard someone from the other room confronted him. He continued to be loud for a few moments then he left. This really didn't have anything to do with the hotel but just made my experience there was slightly diminished because of that. Anyway. The room was beautiful and clean and would love to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Hotel_Monaco_Chicago, Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
Dear Pamylah,

Thank you for sharing your review of the Hotel Monaco Chicago with the TripAdvisor community! It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your river view window seat, turndown service and complimentary WiFi access. It was our pleasure to be your hosts!

I was sorry to hear about the gentleman who disturbed you by speaking loudly on his cellular phone near the elevator landing on your floor. Such unmindful behavior is not typical of our guests. Please accept my apology for the disruption.

We are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel Monaco Chicago when your travels bring you back to the Windy City!
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

Won this hotel on Priceline for $90. When I called to request a room with two beds they said they were sold out and had no availability. This was a bit annoying since I was traveling with a friend, but we worked something out. The location is great. Close enough to all the Loop and Magnificent Mile attractions and right next to an L stop for the rest of the city. We spent very little time in the room itself, which was large, nice and clean. The bathroom seemed particularly fancy. The service was friendly. Our room faced a brick wall, but that was expected from booking through Priceline. If I was traveling solo or could have gotten a room with two beds it probably would have been perfect.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

My fiance and I have stayed at the Monaco in Chicago for the past several years on our anniversary. As a veteran of the hospitality industry, the Monaco always meets our standards. From beautiful art deco rooms, to fabulous customer service, we will always return here on our special day. And since we can't bring our beloved dog along, we always treat ourselves to a complementary goldfish as a stand-in pet for the evening. Always a treat for a reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Monace on June 19-20, 2009. The visit was to celebrate our 20th anniversary, although we didn't make any type of announcement to the hotel staff. Wine reception and turndown service were great touches - loved the window seat, though not the best view, and the concierge staff was most helpful.

While the stay was relaxing in all respects, there were a couple of little disappointments. First, we had requested a quiet room on a higher floor and away from the elevator. We were given a 4th floor room that was right across from the elevator -- ding, ding, ding. The first greeting we received once inside our room was barking from the dog(s) next door -- but that soon quieted down. We later found out that this pet-friendly hotel puts the patrons with pets on the 4th floor if possible. I'm not sure how a middle-aged couple without a pet ended up on the that floor; we probably should have asked for a different room, but we didn't.

Later on Friday night (after midnight), I was awakened by two couples, obviously staying on opposite ends of the 4th floor calling down the hallway their plans for the next day - and, of course, their goodbyes for the evening! That was rude to the highest degree.

The room itself was excellent, we just would have been happier with a better location within the hotel. Without reservation, we will stay here again, but next time will make sure to follow through with making sure our room request is exactly what we want.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
blaine, mn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

We went to Chicago with a bunch of friends to see the MN Twins play at Wrigley. We booked our rooms via priceline and Hotel Monaco was the chosen hotel. We were not dissapointed. The hotel is just a block or two off of Michigan Ave where we spent a day walking around shopping, eating, etc. There are several bars, places to eat in the immediate vicinity, and tons within a short walking distance. Ryan, the concierge, was always there and very helpful with directions, and he made reservations for us for dinner a couple times. The bell staff was quick with getting cabs whenever we need them. The hotel is situated about 3 blocks from the train which we took to and from the airport. $2.25 vs. $40-50 cab fare. (and quicker) Our room was nice and clean although the view was of a roof and the side of another building. What can you expect by using priceline? We saved alot of money by using priceline! Every night the hotel put on a wine party with free wine and there was coffee in the morning from Starbucks in the lobby. We got room service for breakfast one morning and it wasn't very good. We had some friends who walked across the street to the Emerald Loop for a breakfast buffet, we should have gone there. The hotel had free wi-fi, which is always nice. Morton's of Chicago is right next door, we had dinner there one night and it was one of the best meals we have had in a long time. Make sure to check the website before going there for a really great special!
There are so many hotels in downtown Chicago we are not sure we would pick this one again, not because we didn't like it, but because we like to try new ones all the time, but if priceline chose this one again we wouldn't be dissapointed.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!