“Warm Hideaway on a Cold Day in December” 5 of 5 stars

25% Off Suites!
Ranked #13 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Warm Hideaway on a Cold Day in December”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

First, I am very late posting this review. I had an opportunity to enjoy a day to myself in December while in Chicago so I decided to treat myself to a 1 day stay at the Hotel Monaco. Rarely do I get to enjoy a city when traveling for business so I took full advantage of the opportunity. I stay at the Hotel Monaco every time I possibly can and each and every visit reminds me why I like it so much. I was welcomed warmly on arrival by the Doorman and Reception, they remembered my name and how often (and long i might add) I normally stay. We talked about me taking a day for myself and how different it was for me when traveling. Once I checked in, the weather took a turn for the worse so my plans to walk and shop a bit on Michigan Ave was tempered by my availability of warm weather gear. What I did was, in my opinion, was just as relaxing and enjoyable. I took the time to enjoy the wine reception in the lobby and then experienced a great dinner in the restaurant and then after an after dinner drink in the bar area. I travel the world and the wonderful service at the Hotel Monaco in Chicago, in my opinion, rates at the top of my recommendations. This is the only hotel that I can say I get excited about when I know I'm going to be staying there again.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel closest to Wabash seemed to be quiet for me, there is construction going on t...
Green Features: The Kimpton programs are excellent and they provide great information about the steps they take to be as environmentally neutral.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Hi Paul B -

Better late than never, especially with the helpful review that you left! You hit all of the great points about staying here with us - wine reception, staff, you got it all! We hope that means we get to see a lot more of you!

Marco Scherer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed here for a recent business trip.

The location is excellent. It's right in the heart of the loop across the river from Trump and walking distance to many bars and restaurants.

The front desk and bellmen were nice and friendly. I had breakfast twice in the on-site restaurant. The food was delicious!

My average rating is more for the decor in the rooms. The bed is nice and comfortable. The room is spacious, but I was left desiring more. I was also placed in a handicap room without being notified ahead of time.

Nice bonus for all Kimpton members - free wi-fi and a $10 mini bar credit. Once again the egencia system and kimpton system didn't sync properly so my rewards number didn't automatically appear.

It's a decent hotel. I'd stay again if the pricing was right, but there are many of other choices in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Chris P -

Thank you so much for offering your honest feedback of your recent stay at the Monaco. We treasure our location, and even more so our staff, so I'm happy to hear that you appreciated both of those things during your visit! We're so sorry that the decor was a little bit of a let down, sometimes those Egencia reservations book into our accessible rooms when inventory is limited, and I wish you would have known ahead of time too!

We hope that we get the chance to see you again soon.

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Nice staff, nice large rooms with comfy beds. Our room was very quiet, though no view; we faced another building. The location couldn't be better, a block from a number of L lines that will take you to anywhere in the city. Leave the car at home! It's also walking distance to Michigan Ave, the hot dining scene on North Clark, and the Lake Front, though that's a decent walk. Get a bike and ride over to Navy Pier!

If you get lost in the Loop, you can find the hotel easily by heading for the Trump Tower. It's just across the river. We flew into Midway, and it's a quick trip in on the Orange Line.

If you join Kimpton's loyalty club, you get free wifi, definitely worth it!

Room Tip: Some rooms face other buildings and these are very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear sharonincolorado -

Thanks so much for your great review of your recent stay at the Monaco. We're glad that you found our location to be great for your Chicago experience, and you're totally right about taking the Orange line in, it's a breeze.

We hope to see you again soon!

McKinney, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I usually do not write bad reviews as I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I know it is impossible to bring your "A" game every day. However, for the money spent, this is the worst hotel I have stayed in. First of all, they had lost my reservation and it took about 15 minutes to find it even though I presented a confirmation number. I was offered no compensation for my time. Then the meeting room staff ignored multiple requests to turn down the fans. The AC in my hotel room made an annoying noise all night long. I hope I never have to stay on this hotel again.

Stayed August 2014
Dear DDay1959 -

We appreciate you taking the time to offer your constructive criticism of your recent stay at the Hotel Monaco. We all want to be the best we possibly can, and without our guests being honest and sharing what that its, we would never be able to achieve that. I am very sorry to hear that your experience at the Monaco was not our typically exceptional service and that you experienced a delay at check in due to a clerical error in the spelling of your reservation. We understand your reluctance to return, but would always be happy to host you again and hopefully show you the true Monaco experience.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Most Sincerely,

Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I was attending a conference that was held at the Monaco Hotel! It is centrally located with walking distance to many attractions! The room and the entire hotel was elegant! Clean! I stayed 3 nights. The maid was folding the hand towels and washcloths differently every day! It was amusing and a great touch! The staff at the concierge, front desk, and throughout the facility were helpful, friendly, and polite at all times! I appreciated their exceptional customer service. I used the business center, and one of the front desk employees came to assist me when it wasn't working properly. She removed the internet charges. She didn't have to. The only bad feedback I would add is the construction next door. They begin at 5:30 am..... So I would wake up. I am sure it's temporary. Hopefully, next time I stay at Monaco, I have a room with a view!

Stayed August 2014
Dear Ellada H -

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a lovely review of your recent stay. While we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities, we are even more proud that our staff made such a positive impact. We would be happy to get you that room with a view on your next trip!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The Hotel Monaco in Chicago is perfect for almost any trip to Chicago. It is in the business district, but only a block away from Michigan Avenue and just south of the river. This means all of Chicago's fabulous shopping, great restaurants, museums and Millennium Park/Grant Park are within walking distance. The hotel itself if clean, updated and has great service. Everyone we met went out of their way to be helpful and accommodating. The rooms are well appointed and have everything you need, but are not luxurious. The rooms are average size with plenty of room for yoga and stretching. The water, tea and coffee in the lobby are a nice treat. The restaurant is very good and the bar is stocked with friendly bartenders serving nice wines, beers and spirits.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the parking garage may offer a quieter sleep.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Lisa G -

What a lovely review! You managed to hit all the high points for us, and I'm so glad to hear that you really enjoyed your stay. We hope you'll take the quick trip down to visit us often, we look forward to seeing you!

Northeast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stay at this hotel each time we come to Chicago - great location, super service, and an updated gym that is still small but much improved. Easy trip by public transportation from Midway or O'hare - only a few blocks from the loop stop. Special shout out to Frances at the front desk for making the trip go so smoothly and Michael for being so attentive. Worth joining Kimpton Karma for free wifi and a discount on the minibar or in their restaurant bar.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear wilmafred1 -

Thank you for your great review, and especially for giving a shout out to Frances & Michael - two of our rockstar team members! We hope that our team, as well as our convenient location will keep you coming! As you do, you'll continue to build your Kimpton Karma while enjoying those WiFi & Raid the Bar perks - everyone wins!

We look forward to seeing you soon!