“I'm Back on Board” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Worth, Texas
“I'm Back on Board”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Visited this past week for 3 nights and absolutely enjoyed it. Was here last winter and was not quite as enthused. I am chalking that up to the room we received each time, or possibly the hotel is in a constantly improving mode. (paint/touch ups etc.) Stayed in room 911 which was a corner mini suite with 4 window seats overlooking the river. Views were outstanding and we caught ourselves gazing out the window at night for a long time. Location is perfect for all downtown activities. Bed was comfortable and clean. Bathroom is a bit small (especially the shower stall), but clean and stocked with high end products. Service all the way around was superb (especially the doormen, they were awesome. I'm back on board, this is my go to hotel hotel in Chicago once again.

Room Tip: Ask/beg/pay for a room with a view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear mike h -

Woohoo! Nothing makes us happier than to hear that we have won over a guest who maybe didn't feel the original Monaco love on a previous stay. We hope that we continue to be your home away from home on your trips to Chicago...the doormen will be looking out for you!

1,546 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

You are in for a rare treat here excellent personal service, we arrived early at 11am & would have been ok hold off until 3pm but not only did she have a room ready but as it was our first time there we were given one of few rooms overlooking the Corn Cobs & rivers with the window seats you read in other reviews (that is the way to get a newbie back time after time). Its going to be a great 5 days.
Be warned that these room with a view are in full ears distance from the L, so if you are a sensitive sleeper this may not be for you, the L starts squeaking on those tracks early.
It is a well decorated Parisian boudoir inspiration, bed was comfy, & as I prefer in any hotel the comforter was covered in a double sheet. My only complaint are the pillows they are just not comfortable at all both the BF & I were up several times re-fluffing them if your better half snores brace yourself.
Also be warned this is a VERY pet friendly hotel so you if you are opposed to that or allergic this might not be the hotel for you.
There is a nightly wine reception, it was a great way to cool off & get inspired before venturing out for dinner.
I will review the restaurant on it own, but make sure to go there try what I call the "Ethereal Eggs" or their take on devil eggs & I would suggest ordering the SWK burger & taking it upstairs putting on your robe provided & going at it. It is absolutely in the top 3 burgers Ive had in my life, but you will moan, groan & your eyes will roll into the back of your head (if you cook it no more than medium rare) so I suggest making this a private moment. If you are traveling alone this is the perfect place to go .... look for my extended review.
We will be back here, this is certainly a gem among all the hotels in the area

Room Tip: some rooms are within ear shot of L squeaking by. AC takes a while to cool the entire room (leave on...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sasha G -

Wow. Your review basically left us speechless...and that's pretty hard to do. We've never had our burger described quite so well! Gwen is an absolute gem, and we are so very lucky to have her as part of our family. We absolutely look forward to seeing you again - very soon!

Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I spent 4 nights at the Monaco in room 815, a very spacious room offering a view of Chicago's impressive skyline and 2 "meditation nooks." One (pictured) is as big as a double bed. If my children had been traveling with me, they most certainly would have played in the nooks and probably slept in them. Room 815 also has 2 double beds. The one I slept in was very comfortable. The hotel is in an excellent location: it's 2 blocks from the L and about a 10-minute walk to Millennium Park and the Art Institute. I walked to Intelligentsia Coffee on Randolph every morning and enjoyed more leisurely walks to Navy Pier and the shops on the Near North Side. The food at South Water Kitchen, the restaurant next door to the hotel, was also quite good. I have only 2 complaints about the Monaco. First, the staff had a hard time splitting our hotel bill in half and providing my traveling companion and me with 2 separate receipts with each of our names on them. We were assured that this could be done without any difficulty when we booked the room and again when we checked in, then we had to ask twice for 2 separate receipts. One clerk insisted that the hotel could not provide them, but another one managed to figure out how to do so. Secondly, the hotel could use soundproof windows. Chicago is a loud, vibrant city and even 8 floors up, we could hear car horns and radios, police sirens, and the L rumbling along late into the night and early in the morning. This is more of a quibble than a complaint, but comparable hotels in comparable cities offer rooms that are as quiet as a tomb.

Room Tip: Room 815 has 2 "meditation nooks," one of which could easily serve as a bed.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear CatPorter -

Thank you for your lovely, detailed review of your recent stay at the Monaco Chicago. We're happy to hear that our location afforded you the ability to walk many places, and that your stay was comfortable & enjoyable. Unfortunately, in a building of our age in our location, some city noise is inevitable, but we hope it didn't impede upon too much of your resting time! We hope that you'll come see us again soon on your next Chicago visit!

Paradise Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My mother had recently been discharged from the hospital and we needed some economical rest and relaxation. The Monaco provided just that....it is conveniently located within walking distance to restaurants, shopping, drugstores, and mass transit! The front desk staff were fantastic...very accommodating to our situation! We loved the bay window where we could sit and enjoy the river view. I would stay here again on business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hi AZoutdoors -

First & foremost, we're glad to hear that the family is on the mend, and happy you chose us as your relaxation destination. Our location does make it impossible not to enjoy everything Chicago has to offer, and we're glad you did. Come see us again soon!

Kirkwood, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have loved every Kimpton I've stayed in and the Hotel Monaco is no exception.
It's in a great location, friendly and helpful staff, wine hour!! and just a really fun hotel overall.
I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The river view rooms really are worth the money - big window seats and a great view!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear PSS4444 -

Thank you for your great review of the Monaco Chicago. We're glad you got a chance to enjoy these river views, and that the staff took care of you suring your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I love Kimpton Hotels! The location of this one is fantastic and the room was beautiful, the staff was friendly & helpful and the restaurant downstairs was great too! Overall a great experience & I wouldn't change a thing…thank you for a wonderful stay!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear tjw1974 -

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay at the Monaco Chicago!
We're so glad that our staff took good care of your ladies during your stay, and we look forward to hosting you again soon!

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Simply put, this hotel is fine. It's in a good location - close to transit, Millennium Park, restaurants, etc. The amenities are decent, and the room is clean and a good size. My only complaints with the room are that the bed was very uncomfortable, sagging terribly in the middle, and the shower made an awful squealing sound. The restaurant is fine, and the wine hour is enjoyable.

But it's just fine, and Kimpton's are usually better than fine. At check in we weren't given a rundown of the amenities - not even a mention that they had a fitness centre. The doorman never recognized us, even though we were there for ten days. Front desk staff never looked up or made eye contact unless we were standing directly in front of them. The person staffing the wine hour spent most of the time texting on her phone rather than engaging with guests. We ran out of both hotel-supplied soap and qtips, which were not replaced by housekeeping. There was no turndown service. On check out we noticed we had been charged for three nights of parking, though we didn't have a car; the charge was reversed when we brought it to their attention. None of these things are a big deal, and if I was staying at a big business-type hotel like a Hilton or Marriott I would say it's par for the course, but Kimpton usually does the "personal touch" really well, and this place just didn't. I acknowledge the hotel was full while we were there, and there seemed to be quite a few conference groups who took over the hotel bar and the wine hour on a few occasions. As a leisure traveller I didn't feel as though I was particularly valued.

We have stayed in Kimptons from Seattle to Miami and many places in between, and this is the first one I would not go back to. I might try a different Kimpton in Chicago, or maybe something north of the river closer to more restaurants. Hotel Monaco Chicago is not bad, it's just average. I just had higher expectations.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear BC-Westcoaster -

Well, I would like to begin by thanking you for your honest feedback of your experience. You must understand, especially after reading all of our other reviews, why I am quite surprised to hear of your experience. Our staff is typically known for their ability to quickly connect with our guests, and hardly ever do we hear feedback like this. That being said, I will make sure to share this experience with all of our teams in hopes that they will not miss a beat in their future interactions and make sure that we are consistently providing the Kimpton service this hotel is known for. I do hope that you will continue to enjoy Kimpton properties in the future, and should you choose to return to Chicago, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Most Sincerely,

Marco Scherer

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!