“Above and beyond” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando
“Above and beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I honeymooned in Chicago ten years ago and stayed at the Hotel Monaco and LOVED it. Perfect location, great service, fun and luxurious. We became instant Kimpton members and stay in one whenever we've had the chance. My husband had a surprise ten year trip planned that got axed because I was diagnosed with cancer. We were heartbroken in so many ways. He promised me our trip was merely postponed, not cancelled. It turned out he had a work event in Chicago in September and we coordinated a two-night stay at our honeymoon hotel. I even got permission from my doctors to take a week off from chemo so I could go. The staff made our time there nothing short of magic. We could not and cannot thank them enough for the incomparable service and care they gave us. We are forever grateful for the memories--with many more we hope to come. They went above and beyond and it brought us both to tears. That is something you just can't buy and so etching I've never had from any other hotel. Hotel Monaco is top notch.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a river view from the window seats but definitely make sure to request one!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Audrey,

Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary! That's something to be very proud of and I'm glad that we got to be part of your celebration as you have definitely been through a lot. Our staff has such a huge heart and they enjoy becoming friends with our guests. I wish you both the very best and hope you get to visit us again!

Marco Scherer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I recently spent a night at Hotel Monaco to start a cross country Route 66 road trip. It was the perfect pick in Chicago. The location was perfect right near the parks, museums and the Magnificent Mile. Also just a few blocks from the start of Route 66. From here it was easy to walk for food, attractions and groceries for the road.

We were checked in by Emil, who was truly charming. He gave us lots of area information and reminded us of the hotels morning coffee service and evening wine tastings. Then gave us fabulous news that we were upgraded to a Mediterranean Suite. The room was impeccable. Both a lot of style and a lot of function. It was a 1 bedroom suite with a Jaccuzzi tub, comfortable bed, and plenty of tv's. My favorite thing about the room was what I can only describe as bay windows overlooking the city, all huge and cushioned with plenty of throw pillows. I enjoyed laying in the windows with my husband watching the world go by. After going our exploring, we returned to find a bottle of wine and a letter from the staff wishing us luck on our Route 66 journey. A really nice touch. The hotel offers a number of great services, many of which we did not have time to take advantage of. They can give you a companion gold fish for your room and are pet friendly. They offer complimentary yoga mats and newspapers. Internet is free for InTouch members which just requires filling out a form for 30 seconds. They also have a fitness center, business center and provide in room spa services. The lobby area with a large burning fire and jewel tone furniture is very warm and enjoyable to hang out in. The only thing I didn't like was the cost for parking. It was more than $55 for the overnight. That is more expensive than some of the motel rooms we stayed in along Route 66. Being from NY, I am used to paying high rates for downtown city parking, but still found this ridiculous here.

This was my second time staying at a Kimpton Hotel in the last year and a half and both experiences were fantastic. I often recommend them to my travel clients and am so happy we picked Hotel Monaco for our night in Chicago. Thank you Emil for taking such great care of us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
RobynPring,

Thank you so much for taking the time and completing a nice review of your stay. We are very lucky to have great staff members like Emil in the hotel. The cost of parking in Chicago went up this summer due to new taxes that were imposed. The $56 rate is high in comparison to other cities, but its on the lower end in comparison to the hotels in downtown Chicago. It does offer in and out privileges which helps. Due to our location, we always recommend leaving the car at home and using the vast public transportation that is nearby. Also, Chicago just got ranked #6 best pedestrian city in the country and we even offer complimentary bike rentals to our guests. Lots of options for you to avoid paying the parking fees.

Thank you again and I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Overijse, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We spent a week in Chicago some time ago and stayed at Kimpton. Great service, nice, good quality rooms and facilities. Subway is just a few steps away and the area is ok white some nice restaurants within walking distance. Certainly not the cheapest option but quite worth it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kajetan,

Thank you for having stayed with us and leaving the review. Chicago is a great culinary city and there are definitely many options to choose from. We have two great concierges that can assist you in choosing just the right place to dine at that fits your budget and food tastes!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in a riverview room and did not want to leave the window seat! The room was nice, clean and had a large bathroom. The location was convenient, we were able to walk everywhere we needed. All staff encountered were friendly and helpful and, as always, wine hour was great!

• Stayed October 2013
Sunshinedaydrea,

So happy to see how much you enjoyed our window seats! The location is definitely one of the best in Chicago and we are steps from many of the popular spots.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Quad Cities, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel many times before and love the hotel... usually they receive a 5* but this time they really dropped the ball.... multiple times!

Rode in on motorcycles and needed to park 2 in the garage. Not an issue in most hotels, I drive in the linked garage and park, no valet for this large of motorcycle!

Garage wanted to bill 2 parking spots (as we did have 2 bikes) ok no issue for me. We use 2 spots we pay for 2 spots. But the parking attendant wanted to park 2 bikes in same spot and bill for 2?!?!?!?! No way, NO how with out a good complaint being filed!

I checked in and requested to speak to the manager after I had a min to clean up and change out of gear... no call! Requested again as we went out to set up a call with manager... nope. 3 days not a peep!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
David,

I'm so sorry to hear about your frustration with the parking garage. The parking garage is owned and fully operated by Park One Valet Parking. However, we will definitely speak with the Park One manager that is in charge of the garage and let him know what happened with your situation.

I hope you stay with us again in the future.

Beverwijk, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Classy hotel, well located and very nice view from King river view room.
Helpful and friendly staff. It's located near busstops, metro (CTA), shopping and other attractions. We loved the style of the hotel and when you become a member (free), you will get some perks like 10 dollar for the mini bar.
For my wife's birthday the housekeeping staff made a birthday cake out of towels.
The window seat was perfect. We enjoyed the view very much.
The bed (King) was very good. We slept very well and didn't hear any noise of other guests.
Thanks hotel Monaco for a perfect stay!!!

Room Tip: River view room (King)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Unravelling,

Yay! So glad to see that you got to enjoy your stay with us, and your wife had a lovely birthday in Chicago!!

We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The staff and their exceptional service earned this hotel the top rating from me. This is the 2nd time I stayed at a Kimpton hotel, and it confirmed that Kimpton understands travelers' needs. Front desk made sure I had a room to my liking, checkout was super fast, and they had a taxi ready waiting for me. All the staff from front desk, housekeeping, restaurant/bar to the bell boy were excellent. I also appreciated The full size hair dryer as well as the wine hour. Kimpton, keep up the good work!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Kaypeewin,

Thank you so much for completing the online review. Our Forgot It We Got Program has some great items that is usually forgotten when traveling, and having a full size salon hairdryer available to our guests is just as important as nail clippers!

Marco Scherer

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!