“Wonderful Hotel, Service, Location - Awesome Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Detroit, Michigan
“Wonderful Hotel, Service, Location - Awesome Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Chicago is one of our favorite cities and our stay at Hotel Monaco was very pleasant! The staff was very warm, friendly and quite informative. The hotel itself is very nicely put-together. The decor is colorful, fancy, and fun. We absolutely loved the room - the bed was very comfortable, all amenities were available, and everything was squeaky-clean. Our room was quite spacious (which is rare for any downtown hotel). Our maid would leave a lovely note on the bed for us each day after servicing our room. One of my favorite things about this hotel is that it had window seating with cushions! Location is also key as everything is within walking distance to many prime locations. The views are to die for as it is situated right on the river! When we come back we will most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Skaur87,

I'm so happy to read your review and see how great of an experience you had with us! Thank you so much for trying us out and we look forward to having you as our guests again.

Marco Scherer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Harlingen, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is not some large glitzy hotel- but

If you are looking for pleasant surroundings, good service and a good location- this is the place for you.

Not too expensive, right by the chicago river and around the corner from the entrance to the Magnificent mile- you cannot go wrong with this small, quant and very excellent hotel.

Even their restaurant is first rate-excellent drinks and the best flatbread around

I really liked this place and highly recommend it......

Room Tip: Pay extra for the corner rooms with a view of the Chicago river
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Superdoc,

Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a nice online review. The riverview Mediterranean suites are truly amazing and their views are priceless. They even have a nice pullout couch in the living room area, in case you have additional people staying with you. Not to mention the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom! I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we can't wait to have you back.

Grimsby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed in the Hotel Monaco in Chicago at the beginning of October. I researched hotels extensively from home, reading reviews and looking at comments on Tripadvisor as well as asking for referrals from friends and family. With so many great hotels, it was hard to narrow it down. Ultimately, I chose this hotel because of its high ranking on Tripadvisor, its great location and a gut instinct that it was the right hotel for us. I was right!!!
Our requests were accommodated (high floor, river view), the front desk staff were courteous, professional and helpful; Rich the concierge was enthusiastic and knowledgeable (although I really do think he should have a bigger desk and a more prominent location in the lobby). The doormen were efficient and pleasant and seemed genuinely interested in how we were enjoying the city. They advised us as to whether sights were within walking distance and quickly hailed taxi cabs for us. We also really enjoyed the window seat in the room which provided an excellent view of the city.
I feel that this company really understands its target market and what type of experience they’re looking for. The hotel has a sense of fun and whimsy (goldfish in the rooms, lobby and room décor) but also understands its guests want a high level experience with regards to service, cleanliness, and efficiency. They provide a good combination of both. What I liked about this hotel is that you can really have as much or as little interaction with the staff as you want. They’re helpful and outgoing without being intrusive, friendly but always professional and very sincere. It’s the sincerity that struck me as most refreshing. So thank-you for a wonderful stay….I have a few quick suggestions about the city!

1.Start at the Chicago History Museum to get a fantastic overview of the city. You’ll get a real sense of time and place and an understanding of what makes the city so historic and important.
2.The architecture tour along the river is well worth your time. Ensure that it’s run by the Chicago Architecture Foundation because there a few river tours available. It’s informative and very scenic.
3.The Art Institute of Chicago is spectacular. If you’re tight for time or with someone that doesn’t love art galleries they have a visitor guide and if you look on the back it has a list that directs you to the highlights of the collection (to see within an hour).
4.Do go to Wildberry and Yolk for breakfast…great service and food. All the reviews are right!!! And go to the top of the Hancock building (Signature Room – 95th floor) and have a Mojito…incredible views of the city!
5.I researched Deep Dish Pizza like a crazy woman. We ended up going to Bella Bacinos. It was not busy for a Friday night so I was a little concerned but the deep dish pizza was amazing. Make sure you ask for the deep dish pizza menu as it wasn’t handed out automatically. I read a review by a food critic who said that this is the only place in Chicago that he’ll order deep dish pizza so don’t be deterred that it’s in a hotel and if it’s not very busy. The service and food were excellent.
6.We went to one very well known Chicago restaurant and found it a bit pretentious but we loved Joe’s Seafood, Prime Steak and Stone Crab. Amazing! Carrie, our server was so lovely and helpful. She made great food suggestions (crab is off the chart delicious and best Coconut Cream pie I’ve ever had) as well as suggestions of what to see in the city. It has great old world atmosphere and charm.
7.Frontera Grill is fantastic. The wait list was long but we sat in the bar and ate. We asked the bartender to choose dishes for us and he made great suggestions. We met a lot of interesting people by eating in the bar as well. Amazing chocolate pecan pie. Be forewarned, people get a little frustrated in the bar because you can be standing for quite some time before a bar seat opens up and someone who has not been there as long will take it. I saw quite a few annoyed people. I would suggest they have a staff member in the bar directing traffic.
8.Lincoln Park is so scenic (the zoo and observatory are worth a visit)
9.We’re not big shoppers so the Magnificent Mile didn’t really appeal to us. We see al lot of the same stores at home (Toronto) so I’m not sure what I was expecting there.
10.Buddy Guys Legends was the highlight. We saw the most amazing blues artist (Cory Dennison)…best $10 I’ve ever spent. He was beyond amazing and the service and seats were perfect. He is a dynamic and intense performer, gritty and authentic and if you get a chance to see him you should!
11.I could have done without seeing the Navy Pier. It’s a bit touristy (except they have a beautiful stain glass exhibit that was the highlight.)
12.Bring your most comfortable walking shoes. The Monaco Hotel is perfectly situated to see sights both north and south of the River. A lot of the traffic was north of the River but we walked to Yolk for breakfast on South Michigan Ave then walked back to the hotel through Grant Park; we saw Buckingham Fountain, Cloud Gate and Millennium Park along the Lake walk.

THANK-YOU CHICAGO AND ESPECIALLY THE HOTEL MONACO…we had a wonderful time!!!!

Room Tip: High floor, River view, maybe a corner room to get two windows!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Yippeecanada,

Thank you for taking the time and completing such a detailed review! We're very lucky to have such a great team working here. They are true hospitality veterans and enjoy taking care of our guests.

I enjoyed reading your 12 things to do in Chicago! Lincoln Park is a perfect bike ride away, especially going along the lake front on a beautiful day. You will be awe struck by the beauty of Chicago!

We can't wait to have you back again!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

For a first time trip to Chicago, this hotel could not have been more perfect. The location is awesome and so many things are within walking distance. We had a river view room and it was absolutely gorgeous. The window seat was one of the highlights of the room. You could sit and relax and enjoy the breathtaking view of the city. The room was incredibly clean and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. Next time I go to Chicago I am definitely staying here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JustineJorgy,

First time in Chicago! How exciting! I hope you got to enjoy the great weather and everything the Windy City has to offer. Thank you for the review and looking forward to your next visit!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

When I arrived at Hotel Monaco Chicago the front desk staff greeted me warmly and with good cheer -- that welcoming attitude from the attentive staff made it a nice place to come home to each day. It was also an easy place to come home to each day, because the location cannot be beat - near everything in downtown Chicago. Colorful, fun decor, all the amenities you'd ever expect, and I even had a view of the Sears (sic)Tower. Very comfortable, clean, good-spirited and convenient place to stay in downtown Chicago. I'd stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
KayMaker,

I'm so happy to hear about your check-in experience with our staff! Looks like you had a very enjoyable stay in Chicago and we look forward to having you stay with us again! Thank you for the review.

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We played tourist in the Windy City recently and chose the Monaco for its location. We could walk to everything! We loved the Monaco in Alexandria, Va. and we're happy here, too. This old building has been renovated into a posh hotel with a funky edge. I usually don't have much to say about a hotel staff but the Monaco staff is superb. Above and beyond. I thought they were going to cry when they realized our assigned room was not ready! No problem as another was found quickly. And happy hour - what a great amenity and a relaxing end to a busy day of sightseeing. Nice touch, Monaco! My only complaint was the price of parking but, hey, it's the big city.
The South Water restaurant was excellent, too. We ate their twice.

Meg46,

Playing tourist in Chicago is a lot of fun and so easy to do! There are so many options to touring the city from special guided tours from the Chicago Cultural Museum, to the Architectural boat tour and even some Segway tours. My favorite is just putting on the old comfortable tennis shoes and start walking, you are bound to run into something amazing. Parking is definitely on the higher side in Chicago, but we tend to be on the lower side of the hotels downtown. We always recommend leaving the car at home and getting around Chicago with taxis and the vast public transportation options!

Thank you for leaving us the review.

dallas, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Ok, I am road weary tonight. It's been a crazy couple of weeks with not much sleep. But I have to say I was really surprised and delighted when I arrived at the Hotel Monaco.

From the moment I arrived, I felt like I could relax for the first time in days. Staff at front desk and in restaurant were very friendly and made me feel welcome (unlike my cab driver from ORD). Room decor is fun and funky—and the animal print robes made me smile. They're actually quite delightful after a shower.

Join their rewards club to get free wifi and other treats.

Towel dog made me forget for a second that I'm here on business. Looking forward to a great night's sleep. No river view for me, but that's ok since my cab took me on the scenic route to get here.

My dinner was ok. I think I was too tired from traveling to enjoy it as much as I could have or maybe I picked the wrong thing (flatbread with artichokes, pesto didn't taste like pesto--no basil flavor, but maybe I'm spoiled since I grow basil and make my own pesto). Wine was nice though. I liked the space a lot and will be having breakfast there in the morning with colleagues.

Would love to come back here for a weekend with my husband--it's right in the heart of things and Chicago is such a walkable city...when it's not winter.

Looking forward to a great night's sleep.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jooles_p,

Thank you for leaving us a nice review! We definitely have a lot of little things that will put a smile on your face... animal print robes (we even have some for little kids upon request), gold fish companion is also avail upon request, and even our staff will make you smile with their friendliness!

I hope you and your husband get to come back and just enjoy the city. There is so much to see and to... not to mention the many amazing restaurants to get your taste buds working.

cheers,
Marco Scherer

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!