“Great Stay!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Monaco Chicago for three days last week. I've stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Seattle and was a huge fan, which is why I chose this hotel when visiting Chicago. I surely wasn't disappointed. Riverview King room was great. Clean and with a really cool window seat overlooking the river and the city. As always, the bed was super comfortable. Fitness center was great as well!

Only downfall was that the room seemed a bit muggy. Even the bed linens seemed jut a tad damp as a result. But, it was still a great stay and I'd absolutely return for another stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Jackie-
So glad you enjoyed our awesome Fitness Center. Take advantage of our other great ways to keep fit next time you stay with us, like the in room yoga mats you can take to the park for community yoga, or our twice a week morning runs with our Assistant GM, Ryan Parker. Thanks for your review, and I look forward to seeing you again.
Marco Scherer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
York, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My mother, sister and I were looking for a place to meet up for a long weekend to celebrate our birthdays together in late March, and Chicago seemed a perfect choice (we live in NJ, Maine and California). We each did some research on hotels and found that only a couple of selections appeared on all three of our lists. Hotel Monaco was one we all had common.

Why did we ultimately choose Hotel Monaco? First and foremost, the location was perfect! We knew we had shopping and sightseeing to do in various parts of the city and Hotel Monaco is in a very central location. We were in walking distance to the theater district, blues clubs, great shopping areas, Millennium Park and the Navy Pier, and anything else we wanted to check out was a very short taxi ride away. Other reasons for our selection were the price and Kimpton amenities.

In the end, we were thrilled with this hotel. Even with three adults sharing a space, our room felt spacious (the extremely high ceilings and huge floor-to-ceiling windows really helped with this). The room was clean, our room service attendant left us fun towel animals each day, and the extras were great – like an awesome mini-bar and iPhone dock in the alarm clock radio. We also really appreciated the room decor which consisted of really fun fabrics and bold patterns. It just felt very fresh and modern, even though the building itself is historic.

The hotel gym was small, but equipment was new and worked great (my sister and I are both runners and needed to keep up with our training schedules on the trip). The lobby was a pleasantly decorated and comfortable place to drink a cup of coffee and visit in the morning. The business center amenities were readily available for checking email and printing our boarding passes. The front desk concierges and bellmen we spoke to were very helpful with maps and suggestions for things to do and places to go.

The icing on the cake for this trip was the attention to detail. Someone at the hotel noticed a Twitter post in which I had mentioned we were staying at the Hotel Monaco in celebration of our birthdays. We returned to our guest room on day #2 to find three beautiful cupcakes from a bakery down the block with a handwritten birthday card from the hotel staff! Now THAT's customer service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hi Lori D,

Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a great review! I'm so happy to hear that you and your Mother and sister had a great time with us. Happy Birthday!! I remember signing your card, and I'm glad you got to enjoy the cupcakes and our fitness center!

We look forward to your next Chicago visit!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here in June 2013 for a work trip. This was an amazing hotel overall, very good customer service by the helpful staff.

ROOMS were very clean and spacious. Three of us stayed in one room and there was still plenty of space to move around, even with three suitcases. We had a complimentary goldfish delivered to our room! It was a very nice touch that left an excellent impression!

WIFI is posted as $12/day, however, it's actually free if you sign up as a "Kimpton InTouch" member (free). I suggest doing that prior to arriving at the hotel so you have wifi right away (can't sign up to be a member without wifi access to begin with!).

AMENITIES are pretty impressive at this hotel. In addition to all the standard things, they provide extras (upon request) like contact lens solution, curling/straightening iron, cell phone chargers, etc.

COFFEE is not provided in the room like most other hotels. They have fresh coffee in the lobby every morning, so you can just go down and help yourself. I requested a coffee maker/kettle in my room specifically (for late night tea and my instant breakfast) and the hotel staff delivered a kettle to my room right away!

TRANSPORTATION to the hotel was quite easy. I took the subway directly to/from O'Hare and Midway airports. There are direct lines to both airports, and the stations are no more than a 3-5 min walk from the hotel. I had a medium-sized suitcase and had no problems getting in and out of the subway. It's a $30-40 taxi ride versus a $5 subway ride to O'Hare or $2.25 to Midway. It's about 45 minutes to O'Hare and 30 minutes to Midway.

LOCATION of the hotel was phenomenal. It is in the centre of everything! Right next to the river and Michigan Avenue, close to subway stops. Also, the hotel provides bike rentals!

WINE reception is provided in the hotel lobby every evening from 5-6pm. Basically you can go down for a free drink at the end of your day to help wind down.

Overall, it was a great stay! Felt like home, great job Kimpton!

Hi MissDietitian,

Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a great review! I'm happy to hear about your nice stay and the many tips you left for other travelers visiting us. We definitely have a ton of nice amenities that we offer, and it would be difficult to list all of them but we try! Everything from Starbucks coffee in the lobby every morning, to our fun evening manager hosted wine hour reception and even our loaner bikes for people to sightsee in style!

We look forward to your next Chicago visit!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Monaco was the host hotel for a conference that I attended. Due to weather, I arrived in town 13 hours later than expected. I called the hotel ahead to advise them that I'd be checking in very late. Upon arrival, I was given a complimentary upgrade to a river view room! The room was perfect, the picture window with almost a full size mattress on it was ideal for catching a nice view of the river & downtown. The complimentary in room umbrella was a nice touch since I had forgotten to pack one. Complimentary coffee, tea and water were available in the morning and the wine hour from 5-6 pm was nice after sitting in a class all day long! The location was ideal, as it is an easy one block walk to Michigan Avenue as well as several stores up on State Street. I would love to stay here again.

OCPanthers,
Sounds like a very awesome experience with us! Thats fantastic! I'm glad you enjoyed the wine hour- did you try any of our summer sangria? Oh wow it's delicious!
Thanks for the great share- we look forward to having you back.
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We arrived very late having had a train ride from hell due to the weather. Great reception from front desk....gave us a lovely room 9th floor overlooking the river. two queen beds large bathroom and it was just great! We were given complimentary breakfasts and an explanation of the daily wine tasting session which takes place in the foyer also complimentary!! Such helpful concierge...I asked about transfers to the airport...he explained that a taxi ride would cost "a lot" the airport shuttle $29 and takes hours or for $2;25 a train ride on the blue line from a couple of blocks away that takes you right into the airport!!! Great news especially when Macys is across the road well practically....The hotel is also so well situated with Michigan Ave around the corner and Chicago is such a walkable city. Spent the afternoon down at Navy Pier and a boat ride on the river too. This was our 3rd visit and the Monaco helped make it a truly memorable one!

Gudtripper12,
So glad you loved the River View Queen room with two queen beds and the nice view over the river. You are right too- Chicago is such a walking city and so much is right near us. Thanks for being a great and loyal guest.
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We visited Chicago for a four-day mini-vacation, and booked the Tranquility Suite at the Hotel Monaco. The suite is gorgeous - it is decorated in a style that weds 1930's glamour to a touch of whimsy. Based on other reviews, I was expecting that the suite would include an upholstered window seat - actually, there are three! The suite is on a corner, and each window seat looks out on a different stunning view of the river and the city. The hotel itself is walking distance from great shops and restaurants, and a very easy walk from the Art Institute and Millennium Park. The staff members are all very friendly and helpful, from the housekeeper who left us a hand towel folded into a charming little elephant to the doorman who never failed to greet us with a smile. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: The Tranquility Suite is worth every penny.
Dodo from Chapel Hill,
Thanks for sharing- Tranquility Suite has had some great upgrades recently and thats kept it unique and like you said- whimsical. I'm glad you agree! I'm so glad you got to spend three nights with us and enjoy everything from our genuinely caring and welcoming service to our most unique suite we have!
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We are currently staying at Hotel Monaco for our Honeymoon from the UK and to be honest have found it quite underwhelming. I emailed ahead as did my travel agent saying it was out honeymoon and could we have a nice room overlooking the river we have heard about. At check in the person said 'sorry we are full' and that's all they could do. So they obviously havnt read our emails. We stayed at another hotel during out trip and they couldn't do enough, champagne and chocolate in the room, a card saying happy honeymoon, just a nice touch. Nothing from Hotel Monaco. Don't gets wrong, I wasn't expecting much but at least a nice room as I asked. We are on the third floor overlooking a bar accoss the road, meaning if I sit in this window seat I look like I'm in a shop window. I'm really
disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Kate H-
I'm hoping your honeymoon has turned out much more exciting and I'm sorry we let you down. We did have a sell out of people that booked the River View rooms and suites which can make it difficult to honor all requests unless they've been actually booked as that room type- I'm sorry about that. Did you get our amenity we sent up?
Congratulations on your marriage celebration, and enjoy the rest of your trip!
Marco Scherer

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!