“Wonderful Hotel!! Stay here!!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 N Wabash, Chicago, IL 60601 (The Loop)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Direct: Get 20% Off!
Ranked #13 of 176 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lexington, Kentucky
“Wonderful Hotel!! Stay here!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went to Chicago to celebrate my daughter's 7th birthday. The staff were great! They had a small gift and card waiting in the room for her and that made her day.
The hotel very clean and well put together.
The room was wonderful! Clean, modern, comfortable.
Easy walk to Michagan ave.
Felt safe at this hotel.
We have found our new Chicago hotel!
My advise - Stay here!

Room Tip: River view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Jason,
Thanks so much- we really appreciate the great review. The whole team loves to hear we could help a special young lady celebrate her 7th birthday! Thats really great. When you return nextime, make sure to ask for one of our goldfish to be in the room- everyone always loves that.
Marco Scherer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wilmette
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is such a great hotel for the location, price, and wonderful service! Walking distance to so many things including Millenium Park and Andy's Jazz Club! We stayed for a wedding, but would stay again for a get-away weekend in the city any time!

Room Tip: Request a lower level facing West
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeanne,
Andy's Jazz Club is a fantastic spot! I'm so glad you enjoyed the location- with the river walk, lake front and shopping/eating areas so close it really makes us in an ideal spot. Next time you come back try our complimentary bicycles we rent out to our guests and go enjoy the parks! It's a great experience.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in a few of the big hotels in Chicago on the 'mile', but this is the best business hotel I've seen. At the Monaco, you are out of the rat race, atmosphere, brilliant service, quiet and personal. The business centre is great. The hosted drinks in the evening was terrific and I met some lovely people. The South Water Kitchen was my office for breakfast meetings each day. I had the escape of State Street shopping and the river for views. A fabulously comfortable bed which is critical for a working visit, particularly when flying from Australia. I have now changed from big name hotels to smaller boutique hotels when I travel and the difference is vast. When women travel alone safety, a sense of security and the personal touch make it such an enjoyable visit. Recommended to women business travelers.

• Stayed April 2013
Hi Gallasingery,
I'm so happy to hear that after such long travels from Melbourne, you found brilliant service, fabulous accomodations and great meals. I'm so glad to hear you tried the experience of boutique hotels and loved it, and we look forward to your next visit stateside.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco for two nights and loved it. My room (and I think all rooms) had a window box with a cushion and pillows and overlooked the Chicago river. It was so comfortable and such a great view that I could have slept in there rather than the bed! The rooms were large and had everything I needed.

The staff at the hotel was exceptionally nice and helpful. They made great dinner recommendations and when we were going to the airport at 5pm they recommended taking the train rather than sitting in a taxi in traffic the whole time. They made sure we knew where we were going and the train ended up being great! Exceptional service.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the river
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Colleen,
Great to hear you experienced exceptional service and had a smooth trip to and from the airports. Aren't those window seats just amazing? Thank you for sharing!
toledo, oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We came in to celebrate our daughters birthday, she lives downtown.
Great hotel and the deco it has gives it character.
Our first stay here, for 2 nights, we received a room deal email from Sneak Away. Excellent price.
About $160 a nite.

We checked in hour before the free wine hour, that was a treat that we enjoyed in the comfortable lobby. Great touch.
The morning offers complimentary coffee and tea in lobby.
The staff is top notch.

We had Sunday brunch and saw a play Big Fish and all were walking distance.
Our corner room was large and had all the amenities you would expect.
Only negative, adjacent parking is $48 a nite, but at least you have in and out privileges.
Hotel Monaco was a nice find. Enjoy!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Toltom-
Happy Birthday to your daughter! I'm so glad you got a great rate for a weekend visit with us. May I suggest joining Kimpton InTouch so you can start earning free nights stays and free wifi? You also get two items out of the mini bar at each visit- try the Dagoba dark chocolate bars!
I am glad you enjoyed Big Fish and the location, and we can't wait to host you again for the next special weekend you have in Chicago!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Agree with all the reviews that say this hotel is beautiful, but the customer service is stellar. I was in Chicago for a conference (at another hotel) and had a very nice experience at the Hotel Monaco. But when the Heavens opened up and Chicago began to flood, my flight was delayed over and over and finally canceled, along with 400 others. I was fortunate enough to get a room again at the Hotel Monaco, but my luggage did not accompany me, as it was stuck at the airport. When I asked for a tooth brush, toothpaste, razor and comb because I didn't have my toiletries, the front desk took the time to go the extra mile and upgrade me to a suite just because they knew it had been a long day. (And I promise I was not even complaining about the day! Weather is unpredictable.) I tweeted and FB about the experience and got a personal note back each time. When I got the automatic survey about "how was your stay?" I got a personal email back as well, thanking me for the high marks and welcoming me back any time.

I've always enjoyed Kimpton hotels, from the handwritten notes from the cleaning staff to the free wine hour each day. They are often in architecturally beautiful buildings and always have wonderful restaurants associated with them.

I will definitely return to the Hotel Monaco and will recommend it to anyone who is in Chicago. Good weather or bad.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with window seats - they are outstanding!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ms. Destefano-
You sound like a true Kimpton fan! The weather that weekend was terrible, but I'm glad we were able to provide not only some good accomodations, but we were able to connect with you and help you make the best of your flight cancellation. It's great to hear you felt well taken care of and that you'll be back.
Many thanks,
fort wayne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have walked past this hotel several times. I finally had the chance to stay there just a few weeks ago. I LOVED IT! The hotel is very nicely decorated but the best part is it's location. If you get a room facing the river your view will be wonderful. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. The train station was within two blocks. Macy's was withing 3 blocks. Our favorite pizza place was only two blocks away. But the best thing of all is that they are pet friendly AND they don't charge extra. I had never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before but mark my word......from now on I will check them out first when I travel to NYC and Phoenix.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view overlooking the river. Each room has a window seat.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lolo1865,
I'm so glad you had such a positive experience at the Monaco that you're now looking to book in Phoenix and NYC. Pets are special to Kimpton- we love taking good care of both types of guests- people and pets too.
I'm so glad you visited with us and that the experience was memorable.
Marco Scherer

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!