“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
fort wayne
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have walked past this hotel several times. I finally had the chance to stay there just a few weeks ago. I LOVED IT! The hotel is very nicely decorated but the best part is it's location. If you get a room facing the river your view will be wonderful. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. The train station was within two blocks. Macy's was withing 3 blocks. Our favorite pizza place was only two blocks away. But the best thing of all is that they are pet friendly AND they don't charge extra. I had never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before but mark my word......from now on I will check them out first when I travel to NYC and Phoenix.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view overlooking the river. Each room has a window seat.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Lolo1865,
I'm so glad you had such a positive experience at the Monaco that you're now looking to book in Phoenix and NYC. Pets are special to Kimpton- we love taking good care of both types of guests- people and pets too.
I'm so glad you visited with us and that the experience was memorable.
Marco Scherer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great rooms and amenities. Location is awesome in downtown Chicago, just off Michigan Ave and next to the Chicago River. Wine hour is a nice bonus! Didn't have a chance to dine in the restaurant, but the bar was a great comfortable area to end the day! If you join the Kimpton rewards program you get free internet!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
JohnG36,
Wonderful to hear you enjoyed the Kimpton InTouch benefits and got a chance to visit the Tavern in South Water Kitchen for it's mix of classic and unique cocktails and craft beers. Thanks for spending the weekend in the city with us!
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I splurged a little for a getaway to Chicago this past weekend, and chose to get a Mediterranean River View Suite. Pictures don't do these rooms proper justice - our room was absolutely gorgeous with a view that was wonderful to come back to each night. Plus the two-person jetted bath was great to relax in after walking around the city all day!

The location was great - as a first-time visitor, I was anxious about not having my own transportation, but the hotel was located very close to train and bus transportation, and was a straight-shot from Midway Airport. I see complaints about parking costs, but from what we saw throughout the city, parking in general is horrendously priced, so I'm glad we nixed a car rental for our trip and just relied on public transportation.

Staff was courteous, friendly, helpful, the whole shebang. As we wanted to make the most of our weekend, we arrived very early on Friday (9-10a) and left very late on Sunday (8p). I was pleased when I called ahead to hear that the hotel would hold our bags for us before check in and after check out, but was amazed to arrive and be told that our room was ready for us! The concierge on Saturday morning was awesome (wish I could remember his name!) - We had an idea of everything we wanted to visit, and he pulled out a map and marked the public transport routes, taking care to keep us in safer areas of the city. When I had a question about a local restaurant, he didn't hesitate to pick up the phone and make a call to ask. The doorman and front desk staff were always welcoming when we arrived back to the hotel.

Not really a complaint, but I wouldn't recommend ordering in for breakfast. We spent I think around $35 to order a bagel, three pancakes and glass of orange juice. Of course it was convenient, but we weren't so happy with the quality of the food for the cost (at least I didn't think the pancakes were very good - I can't judge the bagel). This wasn't enough of a setback to make our trip any less awesome and perfect, but I'll jot the breakfast food in the "areas for improvement" column. The staff that we placed the order with and delivered the food were extremely pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Corner suite had an amazing view that is worth the extra cost
Dear #1 Guest in the World: Nicole,
Your first trip to Chicago sounds awesome. I'm so happy to hear you loved everything from the gorgeous view from those window seats to the jetted tub to the genuinely welcoming team. First time visitors are especially a pleasure- helping you make the most of the city is great fun for us.
Thank you for your stellar review- it's wonderful to hear you enjoyed the whole shebang (as you said) :)
Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Monaco and thought it was perfectly located to the Chicago Theater, Chicago River, Michigan Avenue and Millennium Park. The doorman and valet parking was nice and not too expensive. The desk staff were welcoming.

Our room was on the sixth floor facing the river. We enjoyed laying in the window seat and watching the river activity. The room was clean and classically decorated. There was plenty of room and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013
Rusty-
Great to hear you took advantage of the awesome location. Chicago is a great walking city, and the public transportation that is within steps can take you anywhere. Not only did you enjoy our location, but you loved the window seat and the large room size. Thats wonderful to hear.
Beacon, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Because of an early flight in, I wasn't too optimistic I'd be able to check in early, but was totally impressed that not only was I able to check in early, but was also given a great room (510) looking out to the Chicago River. Pays to be an InTouch member! Also received a $10 coupon for the mini-fridge! Everything was super clean and comfortable, great style. My friends who stayed at the Hyatt were jealous of my accommodations and style of the lobby. Will definitely look to book at the Monaco again on any future visit to Chicago.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
To our friend in Beacon, NY...
Arriving early and having a great room waiting for you? Sounds like a great Kimpton Moment to me! I love hearing you find the value in the Kimpton InTouch membership and that you and your friends loved the recently renovated lobby.
We are very happy you'll be returning to visit.
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Our first stay at the Monaco and it fully met our expectations -- already high because we're used to the quality of the Kimpton hotels. We've stayed across the river at the Palomar, another Kimpton, a dozen times but this location was extra convenient for theater, shopping and museums and Monaco runs specials more often than the other Kimpton hotels in the area (be sure to sign on to Kimpton's In Touch rewards program). The Monaco hotels are funky in a good way, and our north-facing room had a lovely view out onto the river and was astonishingly quiet. You can count on staff to be the best in the industry, rooms clean and fully appointed, and beds extra-comfortable at Kimptons. This particular hotel is a great location for destinations in the Loop and just across the river. Will definitely go back in the future when a Loop location is needed.

Room Tip: You'll may receive a last-minute email offering a deep-discounted upgrade on arrival, if availab...
FabRanch,
What wonderful things to hear about our team! I'm so glad your expectations were met and that you found our Monaco and the Kimpton InTouch membership to be such a great experience. I love to hear people enjoyed the respite from the city in a quiet, river view room. Thank you!
Columbia, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

When I go to Chicago, always try to stay at Hotel Monaco. Wonderful hotel and great location to Theatre District and many restaurants. Staff always makes you feel welcome, safe, and comfortable! Near the Chicago River and Michigan Avenue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Pam-
We always love to have you stay with us, and we're thrilled you feel welcome and comfortable here. We can't thank you enough for your loyalty and great review.
Marco Scherer

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!