“Great hotel and location!” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-15%
Ranked #12 of 169 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Great hotel and location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have previously stayed at Kimpton Hotels and found them to be great value, comfortable and have always enjoyed their individuality. The Monaco Chicago was no exception. On this occasion we were pleasantly surprised when our daughter, who had emailed the hotel, organised a surprise goldfish for our room. Our daughter was delighted that the hotel had dealt with the request very promptly and even contacted her to say that the goldfish was on its way.

We did upgrade when we arrived from a standard King room to a river view King room which we felt was worth it. It was nice to look out at the river even though it was snowing when we arrived on the first night.

We also enjoyed the Kimpton wine hour in the newly decorated lobby which had a warming fire to detract from the cold and wind outside.

Front desk staff are very friendly as well as the doormen who always have some pleasant comment to make as you go in and out of the hotel.

This hotel is in an ideal location for shopping, trains and theatres - highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Sharon,
Thank you for a fantastic review of your brilliant experience with us. I'm so glad that everything worked out just perfect, from the goldfish to the River View King room, to the welcoming lobby and wine hour.
We look foward to having you back!

1,534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This was my second Kimpton hotel on a recent tour across the continental US and it certainly didn't disappoint. My room was beautifully appointed and the service was excellent. When I rang reception to say the room safe didn't seem to be working a repair man appeared within five minutes to replace the battery. The staff in the hotel's restaurant were very friendly and accommodating too. The hotel is yards from Chicago's central riverfront .. perfect for sightseeing. All in all, a lovely experience

• Stayed February 2013
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Christine,
It sounds like a fantastic trip and I'm glad you got to rest and relax with us while enjoying the Windy City. Thank you for sharing your experience, and it's great to hear you found the location central to everything from the river and lakefront to the great shopping and dining nearby.
Wilton Manors, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed at the Monaco for the first time this past weekend. It is a lovely hotel, located in the Loop and theater district. Our room was a queen/queen on the 8th floor, a corner room, so it was larger than similar rooms. It didn't have any view to speak of, as it looked out over a parking garage and other buildings. Not a huge issue, but a view might have been nice.

The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was big. Shower had excellent water pressure and the water was hot. My biggest like was the blackout curtains. They made the room totally dark, well after the sun arose. I like a dark room, so that was perfect for me.

One gripe would be that the room could have used a dresser to put clothes in. There was room for it and would have made it easier than having to keep things in the suitcase.

They were working on the lobby floor almost the entire stay, not sure why it took so long, but they finally finished.

Didn't try any of the restaurants/bars in the hotel.

Service was friendly, though they might have done something special for my birthday, which was the reason for the visit.

Overall, at the price, I would definitely stay at the Monaco again.

Room Tip: room 802 is extra large queen/queen since its a corner room. but no view and you will hear the CTA...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
To our friends in Florida-
I'm thrilled you enjoyed your large Queen Queen room. We're so lucky to have the extra large rooms with two nice sized queen beds as part of our room type choices. They also are really quiet. We do have River View Queen Queens as well as an upgrade, Also, never hestitate to ask for anything you need- we'd gladly help provide some extra drawer space for your room whenever you like.
I'm thrilled you enjoyed our renovation, and our friendly service. Happy Birthday, and we can't wait to have you back.
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

A very nice hotel and too expensive, nice views, and pleasant staff. I forgot a few things and they gave them to me free of charge, very center located. Everything you need is with in walking distance, a perfect getaway for you and your mate, and they host a free wine hour as well.

Room Tip: High floors and even numbers for rooms.
JaeCowins,
We're so glad you enjoyed our welcoming, genuine care and that you let us assist you with all your needs. We love to help out and make sure you are comfortable.
So glad to hear you enjoyed Wine Hour too- its such a great amenity and we love to hear people enjoying it and looking forward to come back for it.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Warm, friendly, well appointed, always helpful, it's a pleasure to be here. The beds are very comfortable! After a long day of meetings, a great place to unwind. Even though I didn't bring my dog, I love that they are pet friendly!!!! Makes for added warmth all around.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kathryn,
It's a pleasure to have you as a guest as well. People enjoying our warmth and letting us provide them with helpful, genuine service is exactly why we are passionate about our jobs.
Thanks Kathryn, and please bring along the dog one of these days- we have great natural dog treats and extra plush dog beds for them to unwind on too, after their meetings, of course.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I read many reviews to pick a romantic getaway in Chicago at a reasonable price for the day and this one just fell a little short for a 4 star Hotel. I have had fly by night hotel rooms that only cost 80.00 per night that provided much more overall. We had a King Deluxe room that was quite smaller than I expected. The room seemed very compact. The place was very clean and the bed and pillows comfort level was the only thing that felt like I was in a 4 Star hotel. No pool, but a great workout facility. Although the parking was not free (48.00 per day in/out) it was more reasonable than the average parking facilities provided in the area. I ultimately decided that we were paying for the downtown location because the amenities provided was not sufficient for the price. My next getaway to a downtown 4 star hotel will not be at the Monaco.

Eli3000,
Great to hear you found our hotel very clean and comfortable and that you loved our modern and updated workout facilitiy. I'm also glad you recognized that our valet parking is actually the least expensive hotel parking in the area.
I'm so sorry to hear that you felt our rooms were small. With the high ceilings, large windows and generous square footage they actually compare quite large to other downtown hotels. Perhaps a Mediterranean Suite might be a better fit?
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed from Dec 20-23 2012.

We arrived around 5 am and was greeted by the doorman, Courtney at the front desk, and the bellhop. There was no problem with my personal requests that I had made for early check-in. We were pampered all the way to our room. Service was excellent throughout our stay and we love that about this hotel.

The room was fantastic- it had a river view window with a day bed to lounge in by the window. The room was clean, and it had all the basic toiletries/necessities you needed (toilet paper, q-tips, soap/shampoo, lotion). Plenty of towels and other items your could use with a fee- bath soap for soaking. Room was clean, beddings were fresh (bed was so comfy to lie in), and ambience was set at entry (romantic music and a digital aquarium on the tv). A/C and heater worked great and room service was prompt (didn't take more than avg. 5 minutes after the front desk requests- towels, toiletries, room cleaning). There are plenty of electrical outlets for charging your gadgets on the desk and on both bedside tables ( I loved this b/c I had 2 phones, 2 camera pack chargers, 1 video cam charger, and 2 laptops to charge). I was impressed b/c other hotels I have stayed at do not take electronic/outlets into consideration (accessibility and quantity).

The service was great. Front desk employees always greeted us when we were leaving or entering the lobby. The doormen always greeted us, opened the door, hailed taxi (if needed), and gave us practical advice/directions for local fav's. Coffee and tea was provided every morning, I believe from 6-10 am (starbucks quality). There was a restaurant that was busy each night we were there. I had no problem having my 3 medium deep-dish pizzas (yay Lou Malnotti) placed in the restaurant freezer and ready to take home at hotel checkout. Cleaning service did a great job tidying up our room and had a personal touch on our last day :)

The location was great. It is about 20 minutes walking distance from the Hancock tower (which was the farthest we travelled from our hotel. Taxi cabs were easy to hail from the hotel and it cost no more than $7-10 to get to shopping areas, museums, etc. We went from Dec 20-23 and during that time there is a trolley that is free which takes you around the city (Navy pier, Hancock Center, etc.). If you decide to take a Pedway tour, the meet-up location for our tour was 1 block away.

Overall, the price, the location, and the service were the 3 main things I loved about this hotel. I highly recommend it to anyone trying to figure out where to stay. I would definitely come back to this hotel if I had the chance to visit Chicago again (maybe in the non-winter months :-D )

Thank you again for a memorable stay.

Room Tip: River view is great especially with the window lounge bed :)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fridaynights7,
You made the most your stay! It's awesome to hear you got a 5am early check-in that allowed you time to enjoy the nearby attractions, which it sounds like you did! So many sites are walkable from us, like the Hancock and the great shopping, as well as that awesome Pedway tour. I'm so glad you loved your stay, and thank you so much for the glowing, detailed review.
Marco Scherer

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!