“Not A Great Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashotah, WI
“Not A Great Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I visit Chicago often and like to try all the great hotels the city has to offer, Hotel Monoco is not one of them. After reading great reviews we thought we would try it. To start with the positives, good location and nice doorman/valet. During our stay a water pipe burst and we were left with no warm water for a morning shower, the hotel did not do much to rectify the inconvenience. Next, 2 of the bathroom towels had holes in them, time to order new linens. The kitchen was being remolded and their "room service" menu was very disappointing. Overall would never recommend this hotel, and if there are "inconvieneces" that arise it would be nice if the staff was some what accommodating-that would have gone a long way. Chicago offers a plethora of wonderful hotels and this is deffinatly not one of them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm sorry that the renovation to improve our restaurant damped your experience, as well as an unfortunate water situation. I can imagine how frustrating it must have been. Please feel free to reach out to Ryan Parker, our Assistant General Manager, at your convenience to further discuss and we can better address the service issues. I can assure the community that the renovations to our restuarant and lobby will be a great update for the Monaco, and will be completed in just a few short weeks. We certainly will do our best to provide a great experience in the meantime.
Marco Scherer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

For this trip to the Hotel Monaco, I selected a River view King and was able to upgrade to a corner suite. What an amazing view from the 4 window seats! This room was clean, comfortable and quiet. It made for an excellent getaway, and the only thing I would change would be the bathrooms -- the shower was a bit small and outdated, but otherwise very functional.

Room Tip: Get a river view room - it makes all the difference, and the view is spectacular.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aren't those River View Suites so awesome? The view is well worth the upgrade, and families always comment on how much they enjoy watching the world go by on those window seats. Thank you for such a great five star review!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Great stay from check in to check out. After check in we where greeted with a complimentary wine / hot toddy tasting. The staff was extremely friendly and genuinely concerned that everything was to our expectations. They exceeded it. The lobby is small but cozy and decorated nicely. Room and entire hotel was spotless. Great location between theater district, Millennium Park and Magnificent Mile. Late night action is north of the river. Easy walk to House of Blues and many other bars and clubs.
Pet friendly too.
Hotel restaurant is undergoing renovation and we heard the rest of the hotel might be also so check on that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
A fabulous five star review! Many thanks, we're glad you experienced that genuine care and charm that the Monaco Chicago is known for. Stay tuned- our restaurant and lobby refresh is will only help make things even better on your next stay.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

My wife, son and I stayed for 4 days over Christmas as a mini-vacation. We chose the Hotel Monaco because of on-line reviews and its central location.

Our arrival was perfect. Prompt, friendly check-in by the front desk. Good luggage service to the room. Great start.

We had booked a river view queen room with a chance to upgrade to a queen suite. Our good luck was with us and we got the upgrade. Beautiful room with river views from two of the four directions. Cool window seats were fun little cubbies in which to read or just watch the city life below. Bed was comfortable and my son said the sofa pullout was also very comfortable. The shower was fine. The bathtub was a huge jacuzzi tub. We didn't use it but you could have had 2 in there easily.

Free coffee, hot chocolate and a variety of newspapers made a nice morning routine of relaxing by the fire each morning in the lobby and having a coffee.

Workout room was nice; 3 treadmills, a couple of bikes and weights. Free water too.

Location was ideal; right on Wacker and Wabash. Michigan Ave and all the restaurants and shops are a 5 minute walk. Theaters are 5 minutes the other directions. Subway stop to the airport is 5 minutes away too. Amtrak station is a 7-8 minute cab ride ($10).

We had drinks and appetizers one night in the bar/restaurant (which, by the way, is being renovated for the New Year). Drinks were tasty and a good beer selection. Upper class bar food was just right for a snack. A special shout out to Stephanie our server. A total bundle of energy and super helpful and friendly. My wife loved the copper mug my drink came in and asked Stephanie if they sold them. She said she would check. Came back a few minutes later and said, "sorry, the manager said no." Oh well, thanks for trying. Ten minutes later Stephanie stops by again and says the manger changed his mind! $10 and you made us a super fan. Stephanie remembered us the next night when we stopped back and made us feel welcome again. She's a star.

Downsides? The restaurant and bar closed on 12/24 and 12/25 for remodeling. Not a negative at all because I understand that to refresh you have to close sometime, but we did miss stopping down for more drinks and friendly cheer.

We really enjoyed our visit. Nice hotel, nice people, great location.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your great experience. We were happy to be your home away from home for you and your family. Stay tuned, the restaurant refresh will be well worth the wait, and in the meantime we have some great offerings through In Room Dining.
Thanks again,
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We had a great experience at the Hotel Monaco. We had stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Portland, so we were interested in this hotel for our Chicago visit. Initially, I looked a reviews for a few others and then came back to Monaco. Almost all of the downtown Chicago hotels received reviews about noise from either the traffic or the L, so I called several times to the Hotel Monaco to make sure we would get a quiet room. It was the quietest room room I've ever stayed in. The window seats were a huge hit with the kids. There were 2 (one for each of my children), and they played in them every minute we were in the hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They delivered a gold fish to our room the first day. Then, they delivered stuffed animal gold fish the second day. We enjoyed coffee and hot chocolate in the lobby each morning while watching "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (set in Chicago). Everytime we needed something, everyone was very helpful and friendly from the doorman to the bellman to the front desk to room service. The hotel itself looks a little old, but that really didn't bother me. The hotel was centrally located between the shopping (to the North) and museums (to the South). And by the way, the Art Institute of Chicago is the best art museum I've ever visited.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
To our friends in Atlanta, I'm thrilled to hear your prefered quiet room was easily accomodated and that your family had such a pleasant experience with us. Thank you for sharing and come back again, we'll be finished with some great renovations and updates very soon and the Monaco will look quite refreshed!
washington, dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We just spent the weekend in Chicago with our family. We occupied 2 rooms and one suite. The location is great. I can not rate the rooms, but the suite was large, but needed some updating. My peeve with the hotel was the service from the front desk. Not all staff were rude (Foster was great and accommodating!), but the rest did not go the extra step at all. We wanted to have one of the rooms for a couple extra hours on Sunday. They would not honor this request. After paying for 3 rooms, dinner and drinks in the restaurant for 2 nights, this does not sit well with us. Service is important to us when we travel. For dog lovers, however, this would be a lovely hotel to stay in as they are an animal friendly hotel.

Room Tip: higher floors will have less "l" noise
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Hi Mileway,
Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a review on tripadvisor. I'm sorry that the service you received at the front desk wasn't at our normal standards. I have addressed your survey with the front office manager, so that we can take another look at our training practices. I'm glad the Ryan Foster helped make up for some of it.
Yes, we are a very pet friendly hotel and one of the few that doesn't impose any deposits or additional charges and special restrictions! You can even bring your cat. We have certain floors that are pet friendly.

Normal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Again, my wife and I stayed at our favorite hotel in Chicago, Hotel Monaco. Usually my wife and I gush about how wonderful it is there and we look forward to the next time we make our way up to Chicago to our home away from home. Not this time. It really wasn't any major thing, just a few minor things. I guess when you have close to perfection the first few times you stay, you expect it every time. Whether it was having a smaller room this time, no greeting when you came in and out, or two of the three treadmills not working in the gym, it just wasn't the same. I know I am being extremely picky, but there are a lot of hotels in Chicago that I'm willing to give a chance to earn my business. Of course my wife may have a say in this, so we will see.

Room Tip: Get a suite if available.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. I'm so sorry that your most recent stay wasn't as perfect as the previous stays. We do inspect the fitness center twice a day and we have not found an issue with the treadmills, but I have asked our machine service company to come out and take a closer look. Please know that we do have several different room types which you can reserve at the time of booking, which is different in sizes and views. I do hope you give us another try.

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!