“Best hotel in Chicago!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Morgantown, West Virginia, United States
“Best hotel in Chicago!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Great location, friendly staff, and room service is excellent! The best part of it is their "late night" menu... Their grilled cheese is the perfect meal after a fun night out with your friends. Hotel Monaco definitely exceeded all my expectation! If you're planning on visiting Chicago, Hotel Monaco is the place to stay at!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
AGMRyan, Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Grilled Cheese is so satisfying after a night out- we're glad you enjoyed it! I'm glad you and your friends had a fun experience with us and that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for a great five star review.
Ryan Parker, AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed in queen/queen room 1402 for a business trip. Found the room to be very spacious for a downtown room and was pleased that it had a desk with two desk chairs to facilitate two people working together at the desk. While the view was of the building next door the large windows provided plenty of natural light.
The service in the hotel was all around great during our stay. We were regularly assisted by Foster who was always kind and helpful. The housekeeping service was top notch in always tending to the details. From leaving a note to ask if they could do anything additional to stocking the room with a few bottled waters from the gym after seeing I had been working out.
The only place I would suggest improvement would be the service in the restaurant. While it was often very good there were a few experiences we had where the servers seemed rushed or inattentive. This was especially true during breakfast one morning.

Room Tip: Reserve a river view room instead of a standard one to avoid looking directly at another building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
On behalf of Housekeeping and Ryan Foster, we are very thankful for the kind comments. We are hear to give that genuine kindness and hospitality Kimpton is known for. Thank you for sharing. I'm glad to hear 1402 was a great business room. I'll definitely share with our restaurant about the inattention you recieved from breakfast service, I'm sorry about that! I can assure you, next time it will be more of a pleasant experience.
Thanks for sharing your review,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We come here every November for the Festival of Lights. While the festival is fun for all ages, it's becoming more and more crowded every year too. But I digress. We always stay at the Monaco, because it's so good that it builds up that kind of loyalty. Last year we veered and stayed at the somewhat new Radisson Blu. All I'm going to say about that is that we came back to the Monaco. It's got an excellent location, has super friendly staff, has the signature Kimpton wine hour, but it's the small things that impress. Staff who remember you from the day before, the goldfish you can order for your room (yes, in a fishbowl!), the free coffee in the morning. In the summer you can even have a bike loaned out to you. No, it's not the Waldorf, but you don't pay Waldorf prices, and the staff is so friendly. Come experience home in a strange city!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We are very thankful and appreciative of your five star review! I'm also very glad you experienced a very happy occasion with very friendly staff.
We'll keep welcoming you back with big smiles time and time again.
sedona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We have stayed at the Palomar Hotel during our last two stays in Chicago (my home town!). The Palomar was out of our budget this time around, so we tried the Hotel Monaco after reading all the great reviews.

Like the Monaco, the hotel is "boutique" in nature. You don't need a car, as you can literally walk everywhere. It's about a 20 minute walk or so to the Hancock Center; 5-8 minute walk ot the Art Institute. You are also not far from Lake Shore Drive. The chilly temperatures kept us away from the Lake Front this visit, but this is also within walking distance of the hotel.

We had a partial River View Room; higher floor. But we did not get a room with a cushion at the window (although we COULD sit in the window area. . .and did!). We both agreed next time we would opt for the Cushioned window seats and pay the extra money because it is a special touch and experience. We had a high floor and we were away from L Tracks so the noise level was minimal. Although someone on our floor at 4am was shouting in the hallway. Geez, what ARE people thinking?!!? Other than this, it was a quiet stay.

The room was very roomy/spacious. We actually ordered in one night and set up a towel on the floor, lit candles and just enjoyed the quiet and solitude of our room after being out in the crowded city streets all day. The had appetizers and Champagne at "Pops for Champagne" one evening; also dined at Vermillion. We would VERY much recommend that restaurant.

Some of the cons (and why I did not give it a 4 out of 5:
**There is literally no drawer space in the room. I found that very odd, and it made organizing our things very frustrating at times. I found myself going in circles forgetting where I put things that would normally be in a drawer.
**The work out area, while nice, was not looked after properly. There were no towels in the area one day. The next there was no water in the cooler for guests.
**The front desk staff I found inconsistent and not as warm and accessible (overall) as the Palomar Hotel. We checked our bags our last day, so we could walk around and enjoy the city before taking the Blue Line to the airport. When I went to get our bags, we ended up walking away without our hanging clothes. It wasn't until I got to the train station that I realized we did not have them! I went back and the bell-hop had overlooked them, but really didn't offer much of an apology.

None of these areas were deal-breakers. And we definitely would return.

Room Tip: Definitely splurge for a room with the seated cushions at the window. We did NOT do this and we wer...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow - the Palomar going to be jealous that we got to have you this time around! So glad to hear you had such a nice experience with us! Vermillion is awesome too- its both of our concierges favorite place in River North. We get a lot of great feedback from people heading over from the Monaco to there. I'm so sorry you experienced what looks like a bit of a lack of empathy from our staff- wow- I hope that next time you get that genuine Kimpton care.
Again -thank you for staying with us,
~Ryan Parker, AGM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is my second time at a Kimpton Hotel and again I was very pleased and satisfied. The staff was great. They were very friendly and accommodating. I was there for a meeting and we had lunch served in our room. It was fabulous. My room was so cozy and comfortable. There was a fantastic window seat that had pillows all around. It was a great place to sit and watch the city. My room looked at the river..it was very nice. I hope to get back that way again and when I do..I will stay at Hotel Monaco..if you have the chance stay there. It may seem pricy to some but it is well worth it

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Well we are so glad that you were impressed the first time with Kimpton Hotels so you came to us and checked us out too. Great to hear you had a great stay! Make sure that you join Kimpton InTouch to get your free wifi and so you can "Raid the Mini Bar" on the house!
Thanks again,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Again Kimpton hotel in Chicago and again good choice. Previously I stayed in Palomar and it was a very good choice, now Monaco and good choice again. Very friendly and helpful staff, concierge full of good advices, comfortable bed and good beer- who needs more for a few days of business trip?

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I agree! Comfortable bed, good local beer, and a great concierge- what more do you need? Thanks for sharing- we're glad you had a lovely business stay with us and we look forward to you coming back to stay again or try our other sister properties.
Englewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco Chicago during our recent anniversary trip. Our stay was perfect with a friendly, helpful and welcoming staff and beautiful accommodations. We stayed in a spacious river-view king (Rm 912) that had a large window set into a nook (a great place for reading or just watching the world go by), a large TV and comfortable bed with plenty of pillow choices. I recommend taking the CTA train into town from O'Hare (for $2.25 each rider) because the hotel is only a short distance (3 or 4 blocks) from the Clark/Lake CTA station. The hotel is perfectly located if you prefer walking to taking a taxi, only minutes away from Millenium Park, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Lyric Opera at the Civic Opera House and plenty of great restaurants, like Trattoria No. 10 on North Dearborn. I recommend joining the Kimpton In Touch program for the best prices (they have a low AAA price) and a complimentary $10 access to the well-stocked minibar. We have stayed in Kimpton Hotels in New York, Denver and have a trip planned to San Francisco, and we have never been disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a river-view room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AGMRyan, Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
What a great review! Thank you! Yes! The location for people who are happy to walk or use public transportation is very good. You are certainly right about the Kimpton InTouch benefits, and there's more too- like free wifi, and earning free nights in hotels of ours. I'm glad you enjoy our culture of genuine care and a welcoming atmosphere.
Ryan Parker, Assistant General Manager

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!