“Absolutely GORGEOUS and fantastic customer service!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“Absolutely GORGEOUS and fantastic customer service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was looking to reserve a room for business purposes for one night only as I book rooms in Chicago pretty often for that reason only. I decided to splurge and get the tranquility room as it looks really beautiful and unique...the pictures does not do any justice! The room is the most gorgeous and picturesque rooms I've ever stayed in. The furniture, bed and windows are absolutely amazing...and the window seats are a lot bigger than it looks. Get the rooms with the river view, whether it be tranquility or mediterranean rooms...it's SOOO beautiful and relaxing. All I wanted to do was sit there and do my work there.

The only complaint I have is that at around 5AM, there was a bit of a horrible smell coming from the garbage/sewers outside. It reeked so bad that we had a hard time sleeping at that time, but the front desk was very accomodating and had someone to check it out and bring febreeze for us. It did help.

Food service is great, loved the food. Like any hotel in Chicago, expect high taxes and expensive delivery charges. One thing you should also expect is very expensive overnight parking...that's the downside of staying in Chicago versus in the suburbs of Chicago where it's free to park overnight.

I should also mention once I checked in, I was greeted with a glass of wine. Perfect way to start off my stay at the hotel. I will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: Definitely get the room with river view. It's worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AGMRyan, Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Coming to the Monaco Chicago, checking into Tranquility and being welcomed in the lobby with a nice glass of wine? Sounds like a great way to start a business visit to Chicago! I'm glad you had such a positive experience!

Wow, I'm sorry about that city trash smell- I'm glad our staff was able to help make things a bit more comfortable for you.

And yes- downtown parking in Chicago, like most big cities, is not nearly as affordable as suburban hotels. We do, however, have the least expensive downtown parking. Just down the road it's up to $12 more per night.

Thanks for chosing our nicest suite and sharing your great experience with everyone,
Ryan Parker, Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Arlington, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco by accident, and I'm so glad that I found it! This gorgeous hotel is in a perfect location - within walking distance of all that you come to Chicago to see. From a decor standpoint, it stands out. Two comfortable window seats with views of the river were unexpected. The staff was friendly, and the wine reception was a treat. I will make this my hotel of choice for future trips to the windy city!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
AGMRyan, Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Well we certainly are proud and excited to be your hotel of choice in Chicago! It's a lovely spot, isn't it? Our staff will love your comment- thank you- being friendly is easy with guests like you.
Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you. Reach out to me when your ready to return.

Chicago, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I recently spent two nights at the Hotel Monaco to celebrate our 10 year anniversary as well as my birthday. Even before we arrived, the staff at Hotel Monaco lived up to the glowing reviews and comments mentioned in the other reviews. My wife had been coordinating a surprise for me with Ryan, the Assistant General Manager, prior to our arrival. Ryan was great, not only with hotel services and restaurant recommendations, but he also went above and beyond trying to recover my prescription eye glasses after they fell out of my jacket on the cab ride in from Union Station. All the staff at the Monaco were first rate and we thank them for making our stay a great one!
As for the hotel itself, it’s ideally located at the corner of Wacker and Wabash, which is a perfect home base for just about anything you want to do in Chicago. It was a block or two walk south to State Street shopping and a couple blocks north to Michigan Avenue shopping. It’s also a stone’s throw from Millennium Park and Navy Pier. Additionally, there are several El stops a short walk away which will take you to whatever part of Chicago you want to see. We went out to Bucktown (4 stops away) for a dinner and show on the Blue line one night. The biggest craziest Walgreens you will ever see is only a block or two Southwest of the hotel. They even have someone making Sushi right inside the main entrance, and the wine selection is better than some liquor stores. You are also literally a few steps away from the river boat tours.
As for the room, we had a River View King room on the twelfth floor of the North side of the building with fantastic views of Trump Tower and Marina Towers. This is the view to get! Spend the extra bucks and upgrade to this room! It was fantastic sitting in the window seat watching the sights of the city and the river tour cruises floating past. I’m tall, and easily fit on the window ledge cushion with room to spare. My wife spent time on the ledge reading her book. The room itself was nicely appointed and the clock had an iPod dock, which is nice. The bed was extremely comfortable and plenty of pillows. The last day we had breakfast at the South Water Kitchen, which was both good and reasonably priced, given that you are the middle of a major city.
As far as food options, there are too many good restaurants to mention within close proximity. I admit, I’m slightly biased because I’m from Chicago and I think we have the best food in the country, but we had never done Chicago like tourists. We ate at the Berghoff (again), great German food and a Chicago institution. We also tried Roka Akor (based on a recommendation from Ryan) which was an excellent Japanese restaurant with a refreshing take on Sushi - try the Butterfish roll, and we had an awesome dinner at Joe’s Stone Crab. Chicago literally has hundreds of outstanding restaurants of all ethnicities from diners, drive-ins, and dives to fancy restaurants. We wanted to try 90 Miles, a Cuban restaurant in Bucktown, but the wait was just too long, although it smelled incredible in there.
In summary, the Hotel Monaco was a great pick and all the glowing reviews are spot on the mark. The service was incredible (thanks again Ryan & all), and really adds that special touch to your vacation. The location couldn’t be better for sightseeing and shopping, and transportation links to other areas of the city are very close by. Anything you’d need in terms of sundries is a block or two away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy anniversary and happy birthday! We're so pleased you celebrated the special occasions with us! I'm glad you chose the River View King rooms- they have such a pleasant view and relaxing window seat.
Now I have to give credit where credit is due- your comments about Ryan are very kind, but it was our concierge Ryan Lettier who assisted you, not myself, Ryan Parker, although I'd like to think I'd be as helpful and hospitable as Ryan was shall we talked in advanced.
Thank you again for all your great comments and help. We're so glad you had a great anniversary and birthday.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have stayed at the Monaco many times over the last 10 years and it's always a great experience. The staff is helpful, friendly and upon arrival treat you like royalty. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. I would recommend a suite, if possible, the views from these particular rooms are amazing. The quality of the room service food is very good. The location of the hotel makes exploring downtown Chicago a breeze. The Monaco is sure to please in every aspect and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Helpful, friendly, welcoming, clean, comfortable? What a fantastic review! Thank you! It's a pleasure to work here and a pleasure to have guests that enjoy it so much. We genuinely appreciate your loyalty! I hope you're Kimpton InTouch, you should have earned some free stays soon with all the times you've been here.
Ryan Parker,
Assistant General Manager
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Avoiding the crowd of most major hotels in this centrally located boutique property - this is the one to be whether you are a business or leisure travelers like us. We celebrated our 31st Anniversary in this property and stayed 3 nights in September. Most places of interest are within walking distance or a $10 taxi ride for two each way. For those wine lovers, here is your opportunity to sample wines (free, of course) at evening hours and the time will be posted at the lobby so check it out.
The concierge desk Ryan was most helpful and his suggestions on places to visit and restaurants to go really help for our short stay.
Our sincere thanks to all in this property who made our anniversary celebration a memorable experience. Not forgetting the Champagne they left in our room in honor of our anniversary celebration.

Room Tip: This hotel is Pets friendly and if you have pets traveling with you, advise the reservation departme...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary! What a great reason to spend a night in a lovely room at the Monaco! Ryan is an excellent concierge, he really has great restaurants to pick from, doesn't he? We look forward to having you back!
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

spent 2 weeks in the Monaco Chicago during trade show, great location, great room, amazing service and friendly staff, great breakfast. as we were a group we also received lots of free service, some of them for us and some are for all like the free wine tasting during afternoon.
realy enjoyed my stay

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We loved having your group and I'm so glad to hear you appreciated all the amenities and found the value in staying with us. It's a lovely location to be in while visiting Chicago. Thank you for choosing the Monaco Chicago.
~Ryan Parker, Assistant General Manager
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Nice hotel in the middle of downtown Chicago with a lovely Art Deco style reception area. Rooms are quite large - if you can, get a river view room as high up as possible. If you do, there's a window seat that is quite large - it's basically a twin mattress in the window, and quite pleasant to look at the river and Chicago skyline. Very close to Michigan Ave, Millennium Park, etc. Free bikes to borrow, which is an added bonus. Only negative is that this section of Wabash means the wait for cabs can be long, so you need to walk a short distance to Wacker or State if you don't want to wait that long.

Room Tip: High floor, river view rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Those window seats are so popular- we're very lucky to have a limited number of them. I wish all our rooms could have them, so I highly recommend booking the River View King or River View Queen Queen rooms. They are also in our suites as well. And have no fear, one of our excellent doormen like Peter or Jorge will gladly hunt down a taxi in no time.
Thanks for sharing your experience,
Cheers,
~Ryan Parker

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!