“When traveling in the U.S. stay at a Kimpton Hotel...trust me!” 4 of 5 stars

Chicago Summer Package
Ranked #11 of 167 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York, NY
“When traveling in the U.S. stay at a Kimpton Hotel...trust me!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

The free wine happy hour every evening is the icing on the cake at Kimpton! I went to Chicago for a girls/birthday weekend. I chose the Monaco because it was centrally located in the loop. You can walk to Marshall Fields and other shopping, Mich. Ave, Buddy Guy's, theater, and the train. When I arrived at the Monaco, my room wasn't ready so they offered me complimentary cocktails at the bar while I waited which totally made the 45min fly by! The rooms at the various Kimpton properties are very chic and different depending on the property. No generic rooms with random pictures of trees or lakes here! Kimpton hotels also offer flat irons, leopard print robes, fashion tape (to the keep the twins up in little dresses), and other perks complimentary. Some of the other perks cost, but not much. I had told the staff it was my birthday at check-in and to my surprise they had a box of fancy cupcakes from a local bakery waiting in my room! The room service menu is small, but good. The Monaco is small, cozy, and fancy at the same time. Any Kimpton in any city is a win:-)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
AGMRyan, Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
"Any kimpton in any city is a win..." wow we love to hear that! I hope you loved those cupcakes, they are from SugarBliss, a great local cupcakery right down the street and they have tremendously fun flavors- pistachio being my favorite. Glad you enjoyed the location. Come back for some of our complimentary Summer Sangria at wine hour!
Ryan Parker, AGM

1,500 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Apopka, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed at Kimpton's Hotel Monaco and have to say it was the best hotel experience bar none I have ever had. Not only do the staff truely care about you and your comfort but they show it in everything they say and do. From the internet to the bathrobes to the mini-bar to the fitness center I lacked for nothing. Courteous and helpful - every single person - made my business stay such a breeze. I'll stay there whenever I'm in Chicago for work or pleasure.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Laura- you make working in hospitality a pleasure. I'm glad our genuine care helped you have a great business stay. Please don't hesitate to reach out directly to me so I can thank you for such kind compiments when you stay next time. You have to try the Sugar Bliss Cupcakes we have- so please let me know when you return.

Many thanks,
Ryan Parker, Assistant General Manager
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just a one-night stay on a biz trip, but this stay confirmed why Kimpton Hotels are always my first choice.

The location is great, at Wabash and Wacker -- walking distance to great sights and shopping and business offices. The decor is typical Kimpton -- quirky but self-assured. Kimpton InTouch members get free wifi plus a $10 credit at the mini-bar, which is subversive but compelling.

Nick at the front desk discovered this was my first stay at this Kimpton hotel and promptly upgraded me to a great corner room on the top floor. Amazing, and very welcome at the end of a long day of travel and meetings. The room actually had a number of window seats deep and wide enough to hold an upholstered single-bed mattress and four pillows. If I had brought my wife on this trip, she could have read her Kindle in one of those window seats with a great view of the Chicago River.

Amenities are thoughtful and of high quality. Some details take a minute to appreciate, like the desk that is perpendicular to the wall so it works equally well for right- and left-handed guests. (If you're left-handed, like me, you are more likely to notice.)

The workout room was well-equipped and fun, with free bottled water and hula hoops in addition to newish cross-trainers and treadmills.

A perfect stay. Wouldn't change a thing. Kimpton Hotels really provide an empathetic, cheery environment for travelers while maintaining a distinct personality for each site. Amazing.

Room Tip: Hope you get Nick when you check in.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
AGMRyan, Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
We are very proud that we have helped make Kimpton Hotels your first choice always. How wonderful to hear! Nick appreciates the awesome compliments, and I'm so glad you had that window seat upgrade- they are a fantastic spot to relax with a book or a glass of wine brought up from Wine Hour.
We thank you for making our day with such a lovely compliment- empathy and creating a cheery environment for travelers while maintaining a personality is a huge part of our goal!
Ryan Parker, Assistant General Manager
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

we had never been to Chicago and this place was awesome. The hotel staff was so welcoming and the Concierge Rich and Michael the bellman...along with everyone else. The hotel is centrally located. The best and my most favorite part was my Window Seat overlooking the waterway. From morning to late night it was a joy to sit in. I commend Kimpton for adding these windows for our viewing pleasure. I watched policemen stationed for NATO to Marching bands line up for the parade. Michael thanks for getting us on the L train to the airport. We only took a taxi twice in 6 days. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
You love this place? We love having you hear and we love hearing that our concierge Rich and our bellman Mike took great care of you. I'm also glad you had that awesome window seat- yuo get such a great vantage point from there. It's a very worthwhile upgrade. Taxi? Ah, you rarely need a taxi from here- you are right on about the central location, it's so convenient to getting around using the L and on foot.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

This hotel was a great experience! The staff was super friendly, especially at the front desk! Nick (i think that was his name) helped us find some great dinning options and became our go to person during the 2 days at the hotel. I would not think twice about staying at this hotel again!! We even had a gold fish in our room and played Wii in the lobby!!

Pay for the upgraded room! its worth it!!!

Room Tip: Call ahead before you arrive and ask for an upgraded room!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Please don't think twice about staying here again- we'd love to have you back. It's always great to hear people enjoyed the many unique amenities we have to offer like the goldfish and the WII (Jeopardy is my personal favorite) or the morning runs with myself and our South Water Kitchens very own Chef Roger. I'm very glad Nick was on top of helping you out and proving such genuine friendliness. Have you found us on Facebook or on Pinterest? Check it out!
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

If you are looking for a friendly, unique, small hotel in Chicago, you must stay at The Monaco (A Kimpton Hotel). Staff is really friendly and knowledgeable. The Concierge got us in to every restaurant we requested. Become a member of Kimpton In-Touch for free and get a lot of perks (free internet, bday/room discounts etc). Also, great for kids/families.
Truly a fun experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hotels our size offer the great amenities of larger spaces, and the level of genuine service you often miss out in other places. I hope you liked the great Raid The Mini Bar perk of being Kimpton In Touch- up to $10 of items free out of the mini bar that you get to pick out. Thank you for sharing your pleasant experience!
Salem, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We had a great stay over this past weekend in a River View Mediterranean Suite. The room was tastefully updated and the view of the Chicago River/Marina City was perfect. We specifically booked this hotel for the location and the view and neither disappointed. The best feature of this room/hotel was the window seats. Our room was a corner, so we had 4 of these window seats that were actually more like window beds! You could sit and watch the boats go up and down the river and watch all the people walk by. We were slightly disappointed that we were only on the 5th floor, but the hotel actually did us a favor and allowed us to check in early, so we had to take what was available.

The hotel provided an easy walk to the Sears Tower and department stores, the river boat tours left right across the street at the Trump Hotel, and was easy walking distance to the Magnificent Mile. Really just a perfect location. It was also walking distance to the Clark/Lake & State/Lake train stations. Clark/Lake is a stop for the train that comes directly from the airport (very easy - no need for an expensive cab ride).

Our only recommendations for the hotel would be to make better use of the large amount of sq footage in the suite. We did not use the "living room" once....especially since there was a settee in the bedroom area, and that is where the view was. Knock down the wall and make one huge room with a "living area". It would seriously increase the wow factor. Also, the bathroom door was way too big. It should either open out or should just be replaced with a smaller door. It was too big when inside the bathroom. You had to keep it closed in order to move around the bathroom. You had to figure your way around it even to use the toilet. It was obvious that it is an issue as the stairs to our tub had been cracked as the door barely cleared the stairs.

The service was great. We called and asked for extra towels and LITERALLY someone knocked on the door within the minute with towels.

All in all, this was a great room with an amazing view and fit our needs perfectly. We made the right choice and will definitely be back again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
AGMRyan, Manager at Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
So glad you got a nice early arrival. It's not always easy to do, but we're certainly glad when it all works out. Aren't those window seats so awesome? Families especially love them, and the goldfish and the wii at wine hour.
Thank yuo for enjoying our hotel and we will certainly take into consideration your renovation ideas come our next property makeover.
Ryan Parker, AGM

Been to Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!