“Beautiful boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Roma, Australia
“Beautiful boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here by default after another Hotel let our rooms go. The staff bent over backwards to help, as it was late, and we had a long drive into Chicago. The rooms are spacious, very clean and comfortable and quiet. Our rooms had gorgeous views down to the lake, and the city. Rooms even had complementary Yoga mats and it's own in house Yoga class on the TV. Wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Corner rooms looking towards the Lake
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Plmusic,

Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad we were able to accommodate you for the night. We definitely have a wonderful team here that goes above and beyond to make each guest feel special. The location of the hotel can not be beat... We are centrally located to all the major attraction and restaurants. You get a great view of the City from your windows and also partical lake view. We added the yoga matt earlier this year and it has be such a hit. Thank you for sharing your feedback and we really appreciate you writing a tripadvisor review.

1,004 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Los Angeles CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I spent the last night of my most recent Chicago stay at this hotel, after a few days at the brand new Langham, housed in a Mies van der Rohe building a short jaunt north of the Burnham. I transferred to the Burnham primarily because of its proximity to a CTA Blue Line station, which I would be taking to O'Hare airport. It was a short but sweet return visit.

After my first stay, I wrote a rather detailed review for Tripadvisor. I will be more brief here, but suffice it to say the Burnham's strengths remain the same: 1) Its location in the magnificently and meticulously restored, architecturally significant Reliance Building. 2) Its location towards the north end of the Loop, near many tourist sites (Millennium Park, Art Institute, Willis Tower, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago Architecture Foundation), as well as architectural gems (the Rookery Building, Mies van der Rohe's Federal Buildings and post office). 3) Consistently friendly service.

The circa 1895 Reliance Building, designed by Burnham, Root, and Atwood, was one of the first steel-framed skyscrapers in Chicago. The lower floors were originally a retail space, while the upper floors held offices. This is why the upper floors retain more of the original architectural features of the building such as mitered marble wainscoting, wooden doors with mail slots and "Reliance" on the door knobs, mahogany framed windows (now opaqued-out), a small marble staircase with a wrought iron bannister with the hotel's signature quatrefoil design. The elevator banks are also wonderfully reproduced, as is the mosaic tile floor by the elevators on the ground floor.

I had booked a king room and had requested a higher floor. I arrived early and only a queen room was available, but it was on the top (15th) floor, so I readily accepted it. The room was quite petite as expected (less than 200 sq. ft.), but I was tickled that it had an original door with mail slot (even on upper floors, not all rooms will have original features), as well as the opaque wood-framed windows. Like all rooms, it had the original large Chicago-style window with a large central pane and 2 smaller side panes that open a bit. In some of the rooms (kings and suites), the window banks out for a bit more space, while mine did not. The room faced north with views of Washington St., State St., Macy's (formerly Marshall Field's--a historic landmark), the historic Chicago Theatre, with a tiny view of the Chicago River, plus Bertrand Goldberg's Marina City Towers, Mies' IBM Building (where the Langham is), and the Trump Hotel. On the top floor one can marvel at the building's mouldings not only on its facade, but on the underside of the roof as well.

The in-room Kimpton touches, some kitschy, remain. Robes in tiger and leopard prints. Socks (for purchase) instead of slippers. A yoga mat. Blue velvet black-out drapes, plus a velvet ottoman and headboard. A canopy. The room showed signs of wear and perhaps a bit of fatigue--the robes and towels had had their share of laundering, the pillows were not very fluffy, the furniture a bit chipped. Kimpton InTouch members still get free Wifi, as well as $10 credit from the minibar.

My last stay here was in November. For this summertime visit, I noticed the lobby serves coffee and tea in the morning, and fruit-infused water, lemonade and iced tea throughout the day. There are free bikes at your disposal. And the free 5pm wine reception remains, as does the ever-friendly front desk staff. I would say the doormen are less attentive, preferring to socialize amongst themselves instead of offering assistance.

I would say the ground level, indoor/outdoor Atwood Cafe has upped its game, and surely has a new chef since my last visit. I had received a Kimpton email touting July as "Restaurant Month" at select Kimpton restaurants, including Atwood--a 3-course prix-fixe dinner directly from the menu, with a few exceptions. The dinner was lovely and tasty--I was particularly impressed with the increased attention to presentation. I did not breakfast here, although it's a popular place in the morning. The hotel is also within walking distance to my favourite breakfast spot--Wildberry.

The CTA Blue Line stop is on Dearborn St., one block west of the hotel. Upon check-out, the front desk gave me a great tip to access the station by going into the mall across from the hotel (where the Disney Store is), where one can take the escalator or elevator one level down to the station (vs. a stairway if you enter on Dearborn). You still have to shlep your luggage down another staircase to the train tracks, but considering the ride to O'Hare is only $2.25, there's no reason to complain.

In a city full of wonderful hotels, the Burnham remains one of my favourites. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but what it offers are things easily appreciated and treasured.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pillowsofwanderlust,

Thank your for being a return guest of the Hotel Burnham. We really appreciate our loyal guests and is always open to your feedback and suggestions. Your feedback on Tripadvisor is awesome. We have made note of the in-room opportunities and will work diligently to get these items recitified quickly. The location and view can not be beat... We are very honored to be part of such history and enjoy sharing the experience with our guest. It sounds like you had a good visit. And finding out a secret is aways super cool (escalator to blue line from mall across the street). We hope your next visit to Chicago bring you to the Hotel Burnham. We are looking forward to seeing you once again.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'm not easy to satisfy--and the Hotel Burnham has met and exceeded every imaginable standard for a hotel! Imagine someone walking into a hotel, concerned that the room won't be cool enough (on a hot summer day) or that the fan will cycle off in the middle of the night. Imagine that same person worried that the down comforter or feather pillows will be too warm or will bother his allergies. And that same not-so-easy-to-please patron asks if there's any chance of having beer served at the daily complimentary wine reception. Well, that would be me! Suffice it to say I was met in my room--and met immediately after check-in--by someone who removed the down comforter and replaced it with a cotton blanket, then supplied an endless selection of pillows. Another person then came by with a box fan (which I'd requested), even though I'd already figured out that this was that rare hotel where I could set any temperature I wanted, that the temperature would stay reliably stable, and the fan (if I chose) would blow at the same level all night without waking me! (Yes, I'm a light sleeper.) And then, believe it or not, they drop off, in a bucket filled with ice, SIX cans of an amazing local beer that reflected exactly my taste in beer (which the person checking me in had accurately gauged). I'm loyal to Kimptons in general, but there is nothing to compare to the Hotel Burnham in Chicago. The bed, the bathroom, the toiletries--all top-notch--but that's only the tip of the iceberg. This is a fairly priced hotel, in a world-class piece of historic architecture, that makes every one of its guests feel amazingly valued and appreciated. I actually feel giddy and grateful to have found this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gammster,

Your 5 Star review is AMAZING! We really appreciate your positive feedback on Tripadvisor. One of the best things about staying with us is that we are centrally located to all the major attractions/restaurants. We aim for topnotch service and it looks as if we achieved it. If you think after staying with us made you feel giddy...Well after reading the outstanding review we were giddy and over the moon. It sounds like you had a good visit. We hope your next visit to Chicago bring you to the Hotel Burnham. We are looking forward to seeing you once again.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had 5 amazing days in Chicago at this hotel. Great service, great staff, lovely room, right in the heart of everything and within easy walking distance of all major attractions such as Millenium Park, Cloudgate, restaurants and bars, shopping, Magnificant Mile, etc. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear MichB26,

Thank you so much for spending 5 days at the Hotel Burnham. We really appreciate your positive feedback on Tripadvisor. One of the best things about staying with us is that we are centrally located to all the major attractions. It sounds like you had a good visit. We hope your next visit to Chicago bring you to the Hotel Burnham. We are looking forward to seeing you once again.

Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

For my last stay at this hotel on business, I accidently booked the hotel with an extra tour of the architecture of Chicago as a special package. Although I would have liked to do the tour, I had a full day of meetings so that was not possible. I just goofed when making the reservation. The Burnham staff asked when I wanted to take the tour so I found out about my error. They fixed the problem immediately and booked me into a room at the usual business rate.

The room I had was on the 14th floor looking out at the Chicago Theater sign. The room was small, but perfect for a one night stay. I also enjoyed the glass of wine while checking in. In this case, I also had breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. I try to stay at this hotel whenever I am in this area of Chicago.

Room Tip: All of the rooms on the higher floors are nice. Lower floors have more street noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Mercurychase,

I'm very happy to hear that the staff was able to assist you with reorganizing your reservation. I must say that are wonderful to work with and I could not ask for me. We loved your review. Thank you very much for the wonderful 5 star review of the Hotel Burnham. We pride of ourselves on getting it right. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.

It make me proud to hear that you will be back for a 2nd visit. See you soon!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This first class hotel has everything going for it. First and foremost, it is beautiful inside and out. The restoration of this property is outstanding. The location is perfect to so many places including theater and highlights of downtown within walking distance. The staff is very friendly and helpful in giving directions and suggestions. The food in its restaurant is very well prepared. My room was very large, comfortable, and well appointed. The very high ceiling added to the spacious feeling.

Room Tip: The suite rooms are very large and sunny, with lots of windows, especially if you are lucky enough t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LarryH0322,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I only spend one night at this hotel. But I really loved this place, is a very different hotel. Not like hilton, marriot or the other hotel brands. They will let you use the hotel bikes so you can go around the city and explore. If you have the opportunitie to stay in here do it. You wont regret it. The staff is very friendly also.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Enzi2006,

We are so excited to hear that the Kimpton Bikes was a big hit during your stay! We loved your review. Thank you very much for the wonderful 5 star review of the Hotel Burnham. We pride of ourselves on getting it right. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.

1-312-782-1111

Been to Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!