“The best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 W Washington St, Chicago, IL 60602 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Direct: Get 20% Off!
Ranked #18 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The best in hotel in Chicago. Top of the line service and unbeatable historical charm. I mentioned to the front desk that we were there to celebrate our anniversary and when we returned to the room, there was a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting for us when we returned to the room from a night out. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Larry D,

We couldn't ask for more! Thank you very much for this raving review. We want to wish you a Happy Anniversary!!!!!! It sound like we didn't disappoint. We can not wait to see you again. Please remember to stay at the Hotel Burnham for all of your special occassions and we will not disappoint you. This is a very special building and I'm glad you had to opportunity to experience it. See you soon

312-782-1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was in Chicago for business and got this hotel because it was cheaper. This hotel is located at a very convenient shopping area. Nordstrom Rack is literally right downstairs, and Macy's shopping mall is across the street. There's a Target a block away. A restaurant is in the hotel. Walgreens and Lavazza coffee shop are also right next door!

However, customer service is just so-so. I usually can't sleep with firm pillows, so whenever I go to a hotel I always make sure to get a soft pillow. Pillows there were super small (like travel size pillows) and very firm that I couldn't sleep. When I asked for a softer pillow, they were nice enough to bring me one. However, the next day my soft pillow was gone! When I called to ask for it back, they were kinda mean and told me that whatever was in the room was what they had! I said no, yesterday I had one, so could you please check for me because I'll be staying for a week... but they just told me "No, I don't have them." without bothering to check for me! I spent a few minutes on the phone explaining this to them but they didn't help me find one. I ended up having bad neck problems and having sleepless nights.

The restaurant downstairs was expensive and unhealthy... I had dinner there, service was great but when I asked if they had any healthy options, they said "No we don't."

Room was pretty and bathroom was nice though!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear SuperKathy,

Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The Hotel Burnham is housed in the historic Reliance building, which is an architecturally significant "skyscraper" dating from the 1890's and which was built to house small offices such as those for doctors and dentists. After falling into a state of total disrepair it was carefully restored to its former glory. (Check out the photos and commentary in the State St. lobby). We were lucky enough to stay on the eleventh floor, which apparently contains more of the original design elements than most, including original office doors with mail slots and knobs. The rooms themselves are small but elegantly appointed.

We love Kimptons because each one has this sort of unique personality. And, of course, the Burnam has the usual Kimpton helpful and friendly staff, wine hour, pet friendly policy, and reasonable pricing.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bic20,

Wow! we loved your review. Thank you very much for the wonderful 5 star review of the Hotel Burnham. We pride ourselves on getting it right. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standard. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.

General Manger
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My room was extremely comfortable and very clean. Handwritten notes from housekeeping and hotel management make it feel very personal. The location is perfect! Tons of shopping within walking distance, all CTA lines are within a few blocks, plenty of dining options too. Bikes are available to rent! There is also complimentary happy hour every day, free personal products if you forget them, and fantastic customer service. I hope I can stay at the Burnham every time I'm in Chicago, and would recommend it to everybody.

Room Tip: Awesome view of State Street if you are facing the north
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jane K,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Hotel Burnham. We are so happy that we were able to make a good impression on you. Please share your experience with your friends and family we want to wow them also. Thanks again for the great feedback about our hotel and staff.

1 West Washington Street
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Overall very nice stay. Staff are friendly without being over the top. Valet at entrance is convenient and they allowed me to leave the car until late afternoon so I didn't have to re-park even though I had already checked out. Rooms are comfortable, bed was fine. Breakfast was very good - everything is to order, no buffet style that I saw. Gym is OK, but it's close enough to the Lake Shore that going for a jog is easy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Forca_Barca,

Thank you very much for taking time out to share your Kimpton-Hotel Burnham experience on TripAdvisor. We love having you with us and really appreciate your feedback. It's an honor to hear that the staff and services you received met your expectations. Thanks again.

Dallas Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

we love this small boutique style hotel. Staff is very attentive & considerate. great Great location. We had some time after check out and wanted to visit the Art Institute..so they securely stored our luggage and loaned us a big umbrella for the very short walk. The Burnham is within the Loop. ...so lots to see and do! Abosolutely lovely historical hotel with great views.

• Stayed May 2013
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Doggiemommy,

We are so excited that you chose to stay at the Hotel Burnham. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. And we are even more delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Our staff is fantastic and we are lucky to have them. The history of the building actually brings everything alive. Please come to visit the hotel again soon.

Ms. Tonya Scott
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I reviewed this hotel in August of last year and once again my expectations of the Burnham have been exceeded. This hotel is located in a central site to shopping, restaurants, attractions and more. Even if you are not an architecture fan this hotel holds a very unique history. Everything is well cared for and squeaky clean. I could not find a speck of dust. The hotel staff treat you like friends and are quick to volunteer help should you need assistance with directions, restaurant recommendations etc. As far as the hotel rooms, they are very clean and well kept. Housekeeping did a great job at cleaning and freshening. Hotel room comes with nice, think drapes to shut each night providing privacy and making the room feel cozy. The Atwood restaurant is located on the ground floor and offers very good food. I look forward to booking all future stays in the Hotel Burnham.

Room Tip: I followed an earlier tip to ask for rooms up high to minimize the street and subway noise. It was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Travelgirl 1739,

1 West Washington Street

Been to Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!