“Always outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Always outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stay often at the The Hotel Burnham and it never disappoints! The friendly service is consistent, making me feel at home. The front desk staff is by far the best I've encountered. They take care of all my needs. The rooms are well appointed, comfortable and clean.It's the only place I stay when I visit Chicago.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Chris K,

Thank you for being a loyal Hotel Burnham guest! We really appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit. I'm excited to hear that we have been consistent throughout your visits. The staff is wonderful and is always looking for ways to keep the guest coming back. Again, thank you and we can't wait until your next visit.

953 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I just completed my third stay at the Hotel Burnham, and walked away convinced that it had finally outdone its sister, Hotel Allegro, as my lodging of choice in the Windy City. Both Kimpton properties provide a great mix of cool architecture, great design, good value, and ridiculously high levels of service. But the Burnham's cozy feel is simply unbeatable, especially on those cold Chicago days ... there's nothing like coming in out of the cold, being greeted by name by the desk staff and sitting in front of the fire to warm up. The Cafe Atwood's bar is terrific too - the mixologists there really know their cocktails! Highly recommended for business travelers - though I'm eager to take my wife there someday soon too ...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear GDMatthews,

A little health competition is always good for sister's! You just warmed up my day with the superb review. Can't wait to see your wife on the next visit. Please let her know that we will welcome her with open arms. Thanks for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. Anytime you want to get away, come to your second home, Hotel Burnham.

Franklin, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Hotel Burnham delivered...luxury and warmth on a cold Chicago weekend. Being an In Touch Member certainly helps. We were upgraded to a beautiful corner King Suite and enjoyed our magnificent view of Millennium Park and north on State St. Breakfast in the Atwood Cafe is a delight...much appreciated warmth as we watched the snow fall and the wind howl through giant picture windows. Food was excellent as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite on an upper floor of the Northeast corner.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Daniel G,

Thank you very much for rating the Hotel Burnham 5 Stars! We really appreciate you feedback and is very excited that we could exceed your expectations. Our goal is to give you an experience that is worthy of sharing with your friends and family, so they can stay with us also. Happy to hear that we warmed you up during the sub below weather. Hopefully you enjoyed the hot chocolate and tea. Thank again for the awesome review
Twin Cities, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Another wonderful stay at a Kimpton hotel! I never fail to have my expectations met and exceeded. The service was first-rate, thanks to a friendly and helpful staff, and the location was perfect. Once again, the Kimpton team has taken an interesting older building, retained the charm and architectural details, and transformed the space into a comfortable and welcoming experience. No cookie-cutter rooms here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Roadsscholar,

I'm happy we did not disappoint. Thank you for the GREAT review! The Historical Reliance is always a crowd pleaser. Daniel Burnham really brung a lot of charm to Chicago and of course the Hotel Burnham benefit from this architectual genius. Thank you for the great response.

Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've just had my second stay at the Burnham in four years, and I must say, this visit didn't diminish one bit the warm memories I had of the first visit. As before, the front desk and bell staff were friendly and seemed eager to do anything they could to make my stay more pleasant. Food at the restaurant, The Atwood Café, was delicious and imaginative as before (even though there's been a change in chef since my last visit). My room (a corner, "-04" suite) was high enough that street noise was negligible, and was warm and inviting -- especially the very comfortable bed.

Altogether a terrific downtown Chicago hotel -- I'd never consider staying elsewhere!

Room Tip: Choose a high-up corner suite for views and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sue_In_KY,

Thank you very much for this great review. I really appreciate you sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. Hopefully you get back to Chicago sooner. We are happy we could accommodation you and we looking forward to your next visit.

Essex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Have stayed here a number of times on business. It's a quirk place - thinks it's a boutique hotel but not entirely sure about that! It's an old building with history - definitely not shiny and new but that's possibly part of its charm. Great bar and restaurant with a good atmosphere in the evenings. Probably worth getting a room away from the lift ("elevator") shaft. Staff are always friendly and efficient, in my experience. I choose it when in Chicago as it's (very) close to my office and it's a bit out of the ordinary.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Swiss6,

Thank you very much for staying with us when you are in Chicago on business. We are a little bit different from the Big Box hotels but that is exact what we intended to be. We really appreciate your loyalty to the Historical Reliance Building built in 1895 by the city planner Daniel Burnham. This place has a ton of history as well as charm, you see it is the world's first steel frame skyscraper at the time, one of Chicago's tallest buildings.. Need I say more.... We appreciate your loyalty and would love to have you again on your next visit to Chiago.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The service at the hotel was so wonderful, I had a hard time leaving. What do you mean, in my regular life there's no one to serve me hot chocolate just because it's a cold day? What do you mean, in my regular life I don't get a free hot toddy (or cider or glass of wine) every day around 5? In my regular life, why isn't there someone to helpfully print out menus of places I might want to go whenever I might need them? Can you tell I got spoiled?
Also, the bed was very comfortable, we loved being so close to everything in Downtown Chicago, and Atwood was a lovely restaurant. All-in-all, a perfect long weekend with my husband in Chicago.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hannahcat,

WOW! What and excellent review. What we mean.... is that you deserve to be taken care of and we are the right people to make this part of your stay special. We can continue to spoil you if you want us too. We appreciate your feedback and please share your experience with your friends. We are looking to make more friends.

Best regards,

312-782-1111

Been to Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!