“Great location, great service, great room, GREAT!” 5 of 5 stars

Park and Chill Savings
Ranked #29 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Spooner, Wisconsin
“Great location, great service, great room, GREAT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

I was planning a trip to Chicago for a couple months now. After researching every hotel I could afford, I decided to book the Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Chicago, and I sure don't regret that.

Once I finally got through the crazy amounts of traffic, I arrived at the hotel. I was worried about where I would park (it's downtown Chicago, barely any parking), but they had a swerve in where we could park our car until the valet got it. We went into the lobby and checked in. The lobby is very nice and comforting, and you could tell just by the looks of it that the hotel was either recently built or recently renovated; it had a modern feel to it. The lady that checked us in was very friendly and even made some small talk with us. It was nice that the customer service there didn't act like robots, they made you feel welcome.

After we got checked in, we were given a card with the access codes for the complimentary Wifi, and we were given a card for the valet service which we would need with us when we wanted to get our car obviously. The valet took our car and brought it to wherever the dedicated parking was, and we went up to our room.

The room was very nice. It was $89 a night; the standard room with double queen beds. Very modern and cozy. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a mini-fridge or a microwave, but they had complimentary breakfast so I guess we wouldn't have had much of a need for that. I guess I would've liked to see a bit more in it, but I guess that's what I get for picking a standard room, eh? Anyway, the beds were very comfortable, and the room was very clean. It had a nice flatscreen TV and a desk, chair, etc. The bathroom was clean and had a nice big shower.

Getting to sleep wasn't difficult at all. Others have complained about the fire station nearby, but the sirens didn't go off during the night (if they did, then I slept right through them). The bedding was clean, but I slept on my own blanket and pillows anyway.

Leaving the hotel and getting my car from the valet was painless. All you do is call down to the front desk about 15 minutes in advance of your departure of the hotel, then the valet will go and get your car and have it ready in the swerve in. The valet people were very careful and we didn't see a scratch on our car (yes, we carefully examined it after every time we got the car like the sign outside says). At first I was skeptical about the valet service. $42 a night? Seems like a lot, but it was well worth it. Not having to worry about finding a parking space and the risk of your car getting stolen was great. Because the hotel is right in downtown Chicago, you can basically go anywhere in just walking distance, and it was quite entertaining to walk around for a couple hours and just look at all of the buildings, skyscrapers, etc. There were plenty restaurants near the hotel, and a large variety too. There's an excellent restaurant that you can access from inside the Hampton Inn called the Rosebud Trattoria. It's an Italian restaurant, and the food was great. A little pricey, but I got Cheese Ravioli for $14 (I believe), and that was great. More than enough to fill me up. There were also several bars, BBQ places, even a McDonalds, all in walking distance.

The hotel had many great features. They had a nice pool and hot tub which was nice to wind down in in the evening. The complimentary Wifi was great I was expecting to have to pay for it, so I was more than happy with it. The complimentary breakfast was also great too. Not your typical cold cereal breakfast. They had fresh omelets, hot meat, make-your-own-waffles, muffins, bagels, toast, various fresh pastries, cereal, milk, juice, coffee, and many other things which was delicious.

I think I've covered about everything. If you're looking for an affordable yet modern hotel in Downtown Chicago, this is DEFINITELY for you. If I go back to Chicago (which I plan on) I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Dear TravelingProdigy,

Thank you for your insightful review of the hotel. As you mentioned, it is nice to have a restaurant you can access through the hotel. Since you experienced Rosebud Trattoria this time, perhaps next time try Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, which you can access from the 2nd floor of the hotel through the skyway.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Chicagoland.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

This was my second stay at this property. The property is well kept, the room large and clean, and the location is excellent. I wouldn't hesitate a second to stay there again.

Hastings Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I stayed there with my daughter and two young grandchildren. The staff couldn't of been any nicer and helpful. They also had a breakfast buffet that was great. They had biscuits and gravy one morning which made my grandchildren VERY happy!

The staff was helpful with any questions I had from hotel services to getting around Chicago.

Dear Swede52,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent review. Glad to hear that the grandkids loved the biscuits & gravy… growing up in Alabama, that is what I was raised on so I can understand their excitement!

We look forward to seeing you & the grandchildren the next time you are in from Michigan!

Middleton, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

The Hampton Inn in downtown Chicago is a very nice hotel and I paid a great rate for my room. My room felt quite new and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was acceptable and included. The attached Rosebud restaurant serves wonderful food and wine.

My only caution to Trip Advisor readers is that this hotel is located across the street from a fire station. I can sleep through almost anything, so I would not hesitate to stay here again. However, I might consider another hotel if I was a very light sleeper.

I offer one tip if driving to the hotel. Valet parking at the hotel was $42 and included unlimited in and out access. However, there is a surface lot just east of the hotel that charges $25 for 24 hours if you do not need to drive while staying at the hotel.

This hotel has many, many good qualities in a nice location at a great price with only one small downside. I still recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear Double_A_71,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent review. You mentioned the newness of your room: yes we just completed a renovation of your guestrooms this past fall.

Glad to hear that the street noise didn’t bother you. We find that most of our guests are not disturbed by the city noises when they use the complimentary earplugs that the otel provides.

We look forward to hosting you again soon the next time you are in from Wisconsin!

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I strongly recommend the Downtown Hampton Inn on West Illinois. The location is perfect. Easy walks (within 3-4 blocks) to all kinds of restaurants, bars, Michigan Ave, etc. I hosted a group of 15 and the entire group was complimentary. The meeting rooms, food service, sleeping rooms, lobby, etc., are a pinch nicer than the usual Hampton Inn. There is a next door restaurant that has a decent bar. They will deliver both food and drink to your room. I found the staff's recommendations to restaurants, pizzarias, bars, music scene, etc to be dead on. I will use this Hampton Inn for family and business travel for sure.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear DennieG,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent review. We were glad to host your group of 15 from Kentucky.

We look forward to hosting you again soon the next time your group comes to Chicago!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed at this Hampton Inn and Suites in June 2010 and I never wrote a review as I had intended to do. We are a family of five and stayed in a corner suite with two double beds and a pull out sofa. The corner suite was spacious and worth the small amount extra we paid to book it. It appeared renovations on other floors were taking place during our stay, and our room was newly renovated. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and space for the price. It was nice having a full size refrigerator rather than a mini fridge. The location seemed safe, even in the evenings.

The breakfast area was nicer than your normal Hampton Inn, and the offerings were pretty good for a complimentary hotel breakfast. The choices varied each of our three days. We had no problems with housekeeping or front desk service. Valet parking is pricey, as it is everywhere in the city. We actually parked in the lot across the street for $25 a day instead of $40-45 a day and had no problems.

We did happen to be right next to the fire department, although this was not a problem for our family. I was the only one in my family who even woke up a few times due to the sirens, and luckily fell right back asleep; but if you have light sleepers in your party I would suggest a location away from the fire department or ear plugs.

The location of this hotel is good. We parked our car when we arrived and did not use it again until we left Chicago. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance as well as a grocery store. The hotel is only a few blocks from Michigan Avenue, but a bit of a hike to the John Hancock Center and Water Tower Place. My youngest child was five and handled it okay, however. One day we went to the Field Museum and Planetarium and caught a bus just a few blocks away on Michigan Ave that took us directly to that area.

Overall we had a great stay and would stay at this Hampton Inn again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear slwm,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent review. Glad to hear that your family got to experience both the Adler Planetarium & the Filed Museum at the Museum campus here in downtown. With a family of 5, I am glad that you got to experienced our largest suites, the corner suites. Hopefully the extra room of the dining are was useful to you.

We look forward to hosting you again soon the next time you are in from Atlanta!

madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

I will say that the staff was very friendly when we arrived and curtious!
I used the valet parking which was very nice and fast
Our room was very clean, the pool and hot tub were great.
Great breakfast, very nicely setup and ease to get too.
Now for the noise, the people in the room next to us came home at 12 am and started to party until 6 am in the morning, I had ear plugs in and a pillow over my head the whole night. Our room faced the fire station so sirens were going off too. We did not get 1 hour of sleep all night long. The next morning as we were leaving our room to go down stairs we could hear a lot of screaming coming from the room, the man was abusing the woman and she was screaming for help. I picked up the hotel phone and called for security, This was not something I want to experience again.
As we were leaving the hotel I did talk to the person at the desk to express my frustration with the whole night and morning experiences, She was very polite, apologized , explainted that they do have a no party clause ( which I did not know about) and thanked me for calling to get security to help that poor woman.
I will give this hotel another chance as it is very convently located in the downtown area but I will be sure to ask for a room not facing the fire station.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, February 19, 2011
Sssjah,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent review. I am so sorry that you were disturbed by other guests that were in the room next to you. We take noise complaints seriously at out hotel as we realize that people do ultimately come to hotels to sleep. Upon getting a complaint that another room is too noisy, we immediately send security to rectify the situation.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to provide any additional helpful feedback or if I can assist you in any way.

Asst. General Manager

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown? Share your experiences!