“Great value in downtown Chicago” 5 of 5 stars

Park & Save Special
Ranked #30 of 179 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Aurora, Colorado
“Great value in downtown Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was visiting Chicago with my teenage daughter who had never been to the city. I was on a budget and looking for a nice hotel near Michigan Avenue at a good rate. The Hampton really hit the mark. I would like to first of all address the main negative mentioned in other reviews; the noise, or more specifically , the fire station located next to the hotel. Yes, the sirens from the emergency vehicles can be easily heard. Yes, I was woken up around 2:30AM on the first night by sirens. You know what? I went back to sleep. When you're staying in a major city, you're going to hear noise. It's unavoidable. For me it's part of the urban experience, which I enjoy. The hotel offers ear plugs, if necessary use them. The location of the hotel is amazing, close to everything, on the free trolley route to Navy Pier, easy to get cabs, more restaurants within walking distance than you could ever visit and a couple of blocks from Michigan Avenue. The hotel itself is very nice, updated modern lobby and rooms, nice pool and workout facilities, sauna and a very relaxing outdoor sundeck. Breakfast was very good and offered until 10:00AM. In my opinion this hotel offers the quality, location and amenities of other hotels costing much, much more. If value is important to you I cannot imagine you will find a better option downtown. Thumbs up from me.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hey Stephen,

I wanted to thank you for such a great review of our hotel. Your honesty about the noise is much appreciated, and it gives an accurate depiction of what a night at our hotel is really like. In our exterior rooms, you might get woken up by an occasional siren on a busy night for the FD, but otherwise it isnt bad. Plus, the complimentary ear plugs are always available to anyone who would like a pair. Our location is perfect for checking out the city so its great to see you were able to take full advantage of it. I hope we have the change to have you guys as our guests again in the future.

f:312-830-0333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Chesterfield, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Had a wonderful time, great location down town Chicago. The staff was very helpful and courteous. They gave us wonderful directions around the city and restaurant choices. Breakfast was very wonderful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hello Pamela,

I appreciate all of the great comments about the hotel and you taking the time to share your experience with us. Its good to know that you enjoyed our location, staff, and breakfast. They're some of my favorite things about our hotel, and our staff truly makes our hotel something special. Hope you had a safe trip home!

Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I usually go to Hampton. On july 2nd, I spent 3 night at a corner suite. Next to the Hampton there is a fire department. All night we had ambulance or fire truck siren. We could not sleep. I am amazed to be the only one to complain.

Room Tip: avoid a corner suite if you have to be there.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hello halibut47,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience. It is my personal duty to make sure that our guests enjoy their time with us and situations like this are resolved during your stay. There is a fair amount of urban noise in the city and it can be of a disturbance to our light sleepers. If notified of the situation we do our absolute best to accommodate our lighter sleepers by giving them interior rooms, or as available to all guests we have complimentary ear plugs available at the front desk. I really hope we have the chance to have you as our guest again in the future and if you let me know you're returning I will do my best to make sure you get a very quiet room.

Cannock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Just stayed four nights here. Had a suite for my husband, daughter and myself. First time visitors to Chicago and found this a great location for exploring the city. Only a 5 minute walk to the river to cross into downtown and the Loop and only a 10-15 minute walk to the magnificient mile. Felt safe around the hotel area and liked the room, breakfast and hotel facilities. The fire station did not wake us up on the nights we were there. It is only a 5 minute walk to the House of Blues and The Hard rock cafe as well . A post office is just across the street too. Handy for buying stamps and for posting your postcards. The 24 hour complimentary tea,coffee and hot chocolate is a great service too. Has a great business centre for accessing the internet and checking in on line and printing your boarding passes. Was always open. On my last day but one I approached a member of staff by the car valeting area and asked if he could arrange a taxi to the airport for us the next day.. He was very helpful and organised a pick up which arrived in good time. My actions seemed to have irked the stocky concierge in reception on the day we checked out. I do not understand why and even if it did he should have hidden the fact. This is what i did at the Doubletree in New York the week before. Apart from that small issue we had a great stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor away from the elevator and had an excellent nights sleep throughout our s...
Hello Annette,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Im happy to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to both Chicago and our hotel. For a first time visitor, or anyone for that matter, our hotel is in the perfect location for doing/seeing just about anything. I appreciate you mentioning the conversation with a member of our front desk staff. I will be sure to address that with him today. I hope you had a safe trip back to the UK and hope to see you again in the future!

Lindenhurst, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed over the busy 4th of July weekend. The room was fantastic. Both days, the breakfast was terrible. We expected a crowded breakfast room, but we also expected they would have enough food. There were no pastries, no eggs, no potatoes. The cereal containers had only a scant amount of cereal in them--not enough for a bowl of cereal. They did have a few apples & you could stand in a line of 15+ people to make a waffle. The staff should have anticipated a large crowd and had enough people working to keep up. When we mentioned that there wasn't enough food at breakfast at check-out, the desk staff acted like he had heard that complaint several times. (MANY people were complaining in the breakfast area). We choose this hotel in part because of the convenience of the breakfast.Was very disappointed!

Hey Trisha,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and for the helpful feedback. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our rooms. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with breakfast. I spend a good amount of time up there and we do our absolute best to prepare for rushes. For example around 9:00-9:30 each weekend we get a rush. In regards to the line at the waffle machines, there is a set amount of time each one takes and unfortunately we are unable to speed up the process. I will speak to our breakfast manager and make sure she has our team prepared for rushes regardless of the time. I hope you give us another chance to show you just how good our breakfast is!

Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My wife and I were surprised by the level of customer service the staff put exhibited, it was refreshing to see that everyone right down to the awesome overnight guy Byron, he was very engaging and had a wealth of information about Chicago.
Not only will I recommend this hotel, I won't stay anywhere else when in Chicago.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hello,

Thank you so much for the great review as well as your loyalty to our hotel. I'm very pleased to hear that you liked our staff and were able to see just how awesome they are. Like you said Byron is great, working on audit thats hard to find in the city, but he engages with all of our guests in a great way. From top to bottom I don't believe there is a better staff in hotels in Chicago.

Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights on our first trip to Chicago ever. Super clean and comfortable room and a perfect location for exploring many of Chicago's attractions on foot. Train and shuttle are close by as well. The staff was so very helpful and enthusiastic and offered great ideas for things to do and places to eat.
The fire station can be loud at times, but you are in a city and that comes with the territory! This hotel is doing an excellent job in the middle of a great city!

Room Tip: Not overlooking the fire station would be helpful if you don't like noise.
Hey Travelartsue,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. I would have to agree with you 100%, we are a "great hotel". Like you said being in the city it does come with its urban noise but we always suggest interior rooms and earplugs to those guests. The location is unbeatable, and our staff really makes our hotel something special in my opinion. I hope you had a safe trip back to Virginia!

f:312-830-0333

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown? Share your experiences!