“Outstanding Service!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Outstanding Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

During our recent stay my husband and I were both thoroughly impressed by the staff at this hotel. We are both in the service industry and as such we like to acknowledge exceptional service when we experience it. From the valet parking staff to the front desk and every person in between that we came in contact with, we were very impressed by their professionalism, friendliness and sincere desire to be of help. I travel a great deal for my job and I have the opportunity to experience both the best and the worst of hotel service and I’m delighted to say that my experience at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago-Downtown ranks up there in my top 10 best experiences! When my travels, either business or personal, require me to be in Chicago again, I will definitely be back.
The management of this property are to be commended for creating a culture of employees who truly know how to create a meaningful experience for the guests.

Room Tip: Just know that this property is across the street from Chicago Fire House #42. You will hear the amb...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I just wanted to thank you for your gracious words and input on our hotel in reference to others in the industry. Seeing as you travel that often and consider us to be in your top 10 experiences truly means alot to myself as well as everyone else at the hotel. We really put everything into our service with our guests and its nice to see that we've had a significant impact on our guests. Everyone at the hotel from valet to housekeeping takes pride in the service we offer and give 110% everyday. I really hope we see you again in the future and I'm happy to hear that you plan on returning. In the event that you do return I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you!

Have a great week,

1,225 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is a great location – close to Michigan Ave, Navy Pier Trolley, Red Line, Bus Lines, Restaurants (Cantina Laredo and RPM are across the street). We arrived into town early and were able to get a room before 10am and grab a muffin before the breakfast closed. This was very helpful so we could start exploring the city. The Hotel is located across the street from the fire station but it did not wake us up if they left in the night (they offer ear plugs at the Front Desk if needed). I was looking forward to visiting the outside patio while eating breakfast but it is located inside pool area not near the breakfast room. I did not want to take food through pool area but I did enjoy my hot tea while sitting outside.

Room Tip: We had an accessible room with the larger bathroom!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm glad to hear you had such a good time with us and found our location, service, and amenities to be satisfying.

I also believe that our location is about as good as it gets, if not the best. Were so close to all forms of transportation, entertainment, and shopping. Im pleased to hear that we had a room ready for you and were able to accommodate your early checking (...and that you were able to catch breakfast before it closed). It sounds like you had a really good time while you were here in Chicago and Im glad we were able to be a part of that. I hope you had a safe trip home.

Wilmington, Delaware, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We stayed at this hotel over Labor Day weekend. We didn't have a car rental, so we were able to take the train from O'Hare to the city and walk a handful of blocks to the Hampton Inn. Once we arrived at our hotel, many of the sites and restaurants we wanted were within walking distance, which was great. The rooms were clean and spacious, and the free breakfast is a nice feature. It's worth noting that the local fire department is located right next door, but that didn't really present any problems during our stay. Overall, I've had very good luck with several different Hampton Inns over the years ... and this was no exception. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for all of the kind words about our hotel! I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with us.

Its good to hear that you trust in the Hampton brand. There is an unparalleled consistency with the Hampton hotels in my opinion which is great knowing that you will receive exceptional service and quality from hotel to hotel. For future reference if you travel into town and take the train in, you can transfer from the Blue Line to the Red Line at Clark/Lake and get off at the Grand/State station (which is a block away from the hotel). That would save you a little walking in the future, and we hope to see you again sometime!

Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a great location for attending a show at the House of Blues. We stayed two nights for concerts and it is perfect walking distance for the venue and also restaurants in the area. Unfortunately, both mornings of our vacation, we were woken up at 7:45 by loud and annoying drilling noises. At first I thought it may be maintenance but when asking at the front desk, they said there is construction for a restaurant going in on the main floor of the building. We were on the 5th floor and discovered that the sound was coming up through the wall by the bathroom, maybe the sound traveling through the pipes or something. I understand they dont have control over that but the staff didnt seem care about the problem either. That was a little disappointing. Other than that, it was great and will be returning once their construction is done!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
I appreciate that you took time out of your day to let us and everyone know about your experience with us! Also, I'm very sorry to hear about the complications with the noise during the renovation of our restaurant. They were using a jackhammer that week and doing the drilling, and unfortunately the noise traveled straight up the elevator shaft. The good news is, they're done with that work and it should be an issue from here on out. I'm pleased to hear that outside of that you were happy with our hotel and will be returning in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly if you come back and I'll ensure that you have a better experience.

Have a great week,

Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Right from when we first stepped inside the door we were blown away by the staff's friendliness, helpfulness, and willingness to make us feel right at home. After a short jog on Saturday morning as soon as I stepped inside the desk staff had a bottle of water for me. Small gesture but menat a lot. Breakfast was one of the best I've had at any hotel offering complimentary. Location is perfect for all the sights to see and restaurants to visit in the River North area. Cost was reasonable as well compared to other suite hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for all the great comments about the hotel!

I would have to agree with you completely , our service is first class and we do our absolute best to ensure every guest has a great experience with us. There are many hotels downtown, which I'm sure you're aware of, but we try to offer exceptional service that sets us apart from the others. I'm very pleased to see that we were able to have that sort of impact on you when you were with us. I hope you had a good trip home and I hope to see you guys again in the future!

Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hotel is located right in Downtown and a walking distance to many restaurants and stores.

Pros: The rooms are huge. We stayed in a double-bed room, and it was more like an apartment. It had a full kitchen with granite countertops, a fridge, electric stove, sink, and a dishwasher. In the dining room, there was a round table with four chairs. The living room had a flat screen TV, a sofa, and two armchairs. Then in the next room, there was another flat screen TV and two beds. The bathroom is a shower/tub combo. This room is so big that a large family can stay there and not feel crowded. I liked that the windows opened and the room gets lots of natural light because of so many windows (9) in it. The room was quite in the sense that we didn't hear any neighbors beside or above us. The service was great, the staff is very friendly and ask how everything is each time they see you. We even received an email from the management while we were there asking how things are going - that's a nice touch. We also had free Wi-Fi in the room, which was great!

Cons: While we loved the spacious room, the hotel is also located ridiculously close to a fire department, right outside the window. We were on the 3rd floor and each time the fire trucks pulled out of the station they turned on their sirens, which was every 30 minutes or so during the day and every few hours during the night. This continued every day we were there. No wonder the hotel offers earplugs to help you sleep. What a crazy location to build a hotel in. When we checked in, the room (#319) also had a weird smell in it, which lasted our entire stay even though we had windows open every day hoping to air the room out a bit. The furniture is outdated, looks like it's from the 80s. The room was pretty clean, but looked a bit "tired", partly because of the décor. The hotel offers free breakfast but skip it if you don't want to be disappointed. The selection is not huge. The scrambled eggs looked and tasted as if they were from a powder of some sort, in other words, not real eggs. You also have a choice of making your own waffles. I was also disappointed to see canned fruit - you know the ones you get from the grocery store, I think it's called fruit cocktails. Also, there is no wait-staff, if you wanted to get orange juice or an apple juice you're out of luck.

Overall a good stay, but might not be our number one choice in the future.

Room Tip: Get a room on the highest floor possible to dull the noise coming from the fire station across the s...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
I wanted to thank you for taking time out of your day to leave us such a comprehensive review.

I'm pleased to hear that you really enjoyed the room and found it to be so spacious. They are the largest on our property and feel nothing like a hotel room in my opinion. All of the windows, square footage, and room features make it one of the best deals in town. The full kitchens in the suites and all the extra space really make the rooms special. Im sorry to hear about the issues you had with the noise from the fire station and our breakfast. Our breakfast staff are typically very attentive and present on the floor, but I'll be sure to pass this information on and make sure we are doing our absolute best everyday. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope you had a nice trip home!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed here in May 2013, i had a conference to attend but extended it into a vacation. The city is one of my fav's in USA. All the architecture and layout of the buildings is magnificant!
The hotel is in prime location. Everything is walking distance (including the two macy's!). My mother who is a keen shopper never had a minute to spare haahaha.
The hop on hop of is defo worth taking as you get to see whole city inc the church from my best friends wedding (film)!
Also, i recommend hiring a bike and riding around the city, so beautiful!. Watch out for the wind too!
We used to eat at cheese cake factory twice a day on Michigan Ave!! Highly recommend it! You will not get sick of it!
I will defo visit again, but in the summer hopefully!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
I'm glad to hear that you were able to extend your business trip into a vacation, and that you also had a good experience with us! I believe our location is one of the best in town, for the reasons you listed. I'm quite the shopper myself and think that our spot is perfect because were equal distance away from both of the prime shopping spots downtown (and right in between both Macy's). Thank you for leaving such a kind review about our hotel and again for staying with us. Hope we have the chance to see you again in the future!

f:312-830-0333

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown? Share your experiences!