“Wonderful stay with our family!” 5 of 5 stars

Book Now and Save 15%
Ranked #24 of 168 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Jose, United States
“Wonderful stay with our family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We loved everything about our visit. We checked in late at night with four sleepy kids, and the check in process was done in less than 2 minutes. We were surprised at our how big and nice the suites (we had two suites) were. The breakfast was nice but most of all the staff working the breakfast room were so kind and helpful. When the breakfast area started to fill up with people, the manager there opened the adjacent banquet room for more seating. One of the gentlemen actually came around while we were eating breakfast and offered us little boxes of mints for us to take with us. The fitness room was clean and had several Precor machines. The pool looked nice too although we didn't get to use it. We will definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you so much for all of the nice things you mentioned about our staff and the hotel as well.

I'm glad to hear your family enjoyed your time with us. Its nice having a check-in process that is very quick. It allows for guests to get to the rooms fairly quickly in times like in your situation. I truly hope that we see you guys again in the future and thanks for staying with us!

Thank you for all of the kind words about the property.

I'm pleased to hear that the location of our property was convenient for you to get around downtown, and it was easy for you to access everything from our location. Also, thanks for the compliments on our staff. We pride ourselves on the quality of service we offer to our guests, and we hope to see you again in the future.

1,309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We landed at Midway airport and found that it was cheap and fast to take Chicago transit to the Hampton Inn. We rode the Orange Line to Roosevelt, switched there to the Red Line which let us off at Grand St., about 1 ½ blocks from the hotel.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay at the hotel. It was very central and enough attractions were within walking distance. Our room was on the eighth floor facing Dearborn Street with the quite large firehouse on the corner of West Illinois and Dearborn. Sometimes it sounded like the Great Chicago Fire from the 1800s was still on with the fire engines always running out. However, we barely spent too much time in the room with our busy schedule. Next door to the hotel was some kind of restaurant that became pretty crowded and noisy during the night with people lining up and bouncers maintaining the line. If anyone visits you after 11:00pm give them your key or have them call you as the doors get locked after that time.

The breakfast was just good enough. It does get pretty crowded. There was a baseball game the prior evening and those fans were everywhere that morning.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't face Dearborn, and a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to fill out a review!

I'm sorry to hear about the noise issues you incurred. Those issues have been a thorn in our side for years. The breakfast does get very busy some mornings and we do our best to monitor the area and open additional space if necessary. Hopefully if you come into town again you choose to stay with us, we can arrange for a room in a different location in the hotel.

Have a great week

Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

No matter what you're intending to do in Chicago, you should be as well situated to get there as could hope to be with this hotel. The Grand St Redline station is just a block or two away, and all other transportation links are not too much of a walk away in the Loop. The area around the hotel also has easy to walk to restaurants, shopping and the great Ohio St Beach.

My room had more space then I could have used and a comfortable bed. I didn't have the fire truck noise issues other did, but I was on a higher floor. The staff was great about having a room ready for me to check in early and addressing issues I had with the free wifi.

The breakfast was ample and the complementary mints the staff offered were great. The food was nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done and starts your day off right. I would definitely stay here again if I come back to Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, I didn't really have any noise issues on the 11th floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
We all appreciate the nice things you had to say about our hotel!

Its so nice being only a block away from the redline, and many surrounding attractions. I think our rooms are quite spacious as well, and our corner suites don't even feel like you're in a hotel they're so big. Im glad to hear you enjoyed the free wifi and breakfast as well. Those are two that aren't typically included at many of the hotels downtown. I hope we see you again next time you come into town!

Have a great day,

Lothian, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We had a group of seven visiting Chicago and I picked this hotel by the reviews from other guest. This hotel exceeded my expectations. Location was great. It was right next to the CTA Red line and within walking distance to the Magnificent Mile, the boat cruises, hop on hop off trolley and good restaurants. The hotel was clean, quiet and up-to-date and the breakfast offered as part of the room was a good start to our day. I can't say enough about the staff. They couldn't have been any more friendly and helpful. They may be the best hotel staff I have ever encountered. I will always return to this hotel when I visit Chicago and will recommend it to all my friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the suites which was very roomy and had a kitchenette. The bedroom had a separa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights early September as part of a first stop on a USA 2 week tour. Location is excellent and able to walk to most tourist spots easily. Rooms clean and staff very helpful. Great having a decent free breakfast as well, although the main breakfast room did get crowded sometimes the hotel opened up a second room to dine in. Yes it is next to the fire station but apart from one time in the night on our first stay I was oblivious to the noise!
Would highly recommend the hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I really appreciate all of the kind words you had to say about our hotel.

I agree with you, I believe that our location is the best in town and very convenient. Our breakfast is also something we pride ourselves on. For a free breakfast there are quite a few options and its very filling. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future.

All the best,

Stoney Creek, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights on business, staff was second to no where I've stayed, hotel well run, clean, breakfast complete and constantly being topped up. Location is great, closely located to restaurants, stores, walking distance to Navy Pier (1 mile), felt safe entire time, only downside would be within a few blocks is a firehall, is a big city so par for the course. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ron J, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for all of your kind words!

We take great pride in providing exceptional customer service to accompany a Great Experience. I am glad that the Fire Station did not distrupt you while you were with us as well as you were able to take advantage of our excellent location.

I look forward to seeing you in the future!

All the Best,

Ron Justus
Front Office Manager
Ron.Justus@Hilton.com
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel is very clean, the stuff is friendly and accommodating, and one can see many extras, which may look tiny, but are great in the time of a need. A lunch room is open 24 hours, with tea, coffee and apples available. The sauna, a hot tub, a pool and a fitness room are located next to each other and are in a great condition. An outside garden with coaches next to sauna and pool to relax. Fantastic breakfast with lots of healthy choices, including a number of products for people with special diets: kosher, vegetarian.

Fire station is there, but it looks, like fire trucks do not turn on their sirens at night, and they did not interrupt my sleep though my windows were right on.

The hotel even has a complementary luggage storage room! The conference I attended ended up after the check-out time, but I was able to have lunch, do some work until about 5PM and only then take my suitcases to go to the airport worry free.

A really great place to stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I love to hear about our guests Experiences with us. Its always a joy to read one such as your glowing review! I truly appreciate you taking the time to fill one out.

We take great pride in our property and the service it provides. I love to share guest comments with our staff and I am sure they will be so happy to read yours.

Thank you once again and look forward to seeing you in the future!

I look forward to seeing you in the future!

All the Best,

Ron Justus
Front Office Manager
Ron.Justus@Hilton.com
f:312-830-0333

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown? Share your experiences!