“Great location, nice facilities, and good service.” 4 of 5 stars

Park and Chill Savings
Ranked #28 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kalamazoo
“Great location, nice facilities, and good service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The River North area of Chicago is very nice and only a few blocks from Michigan Ave and the Magnificent Mile. It's also close to lots of great restaurants. It's even a decent choice if you're in Chicago for a trade show at McCormick Place. (about a $10 cab ride + tip)

I prefer other Hilton properties in downtown Chicago, but I was called in rescue an exhibitor booth the night before the NRA (National Restaurant Association) trade show opened. All Hilton hotels were sold out for the entire event because there are over 60,000 attendees that come to Chicago for the show. Long story short, a room opened up while I was on the phone with the Hilton rep and she booked it for me. She confirmed it was the last Hilton room available so I was thankful for that little miracle.

The hotel location is great and check-in was quick and easy. I was offered my perks as an Hhonors Gold member (I chose 2 bottles of water) and received room 607 which was away from the elevators and looked down on the front of the hotel and Illinois Street.

The room was nice and the wetbar and mini fridge was a nice addition. There weren't any pre-stocked beverages and so there's plenty of room for your own drinks. There's a microwave and a sink as well. Typical flatscreen TV and a king size bed. My wife and I thought the bed was okay but we both thought the other Hilton properties had better beds. We didn't like the smaller pillows so that's something I'd recommend they change.

You need to keep your expectations in check with the hotel property you book with. This was a nice facility with helpful staff and this hotel met our expectations for a Hampton Inn. For $330/night we would have preferred to stay at a higher end Hilton property (and would normally be able to if the NRA show wasn't eating up all the availability) but the hotel did the job for 3 nights and so we can recommend this hotel to others.

One last thing I wanted to mention was the noise from the American Junkie bar that's located about 100ft to the right of the hotel. They have a fully retractable roof and front windows.. and they play music incredibly loud. Expect loud music if it's a nice day out because they will have everything open and you'll be able to hear the music as if it's playing right outside your window. (a lot of it reflects off the building across the street). The hotel does have ear plugs available when you get off the elevator so the hotel is definitely aware of this. I didn't really mind the noise because I was working and used ear plugs from 4:30-7pm. When I was done working I was watching TV and it was a bit distracting though. The music eventually quiets down a bit as it gets later. I wasn't watching the exact time but I think it quiets down around 9'ish. See other reviews to find out more information about this. A higher floor room may help but I doubt it.

Room Tip: Higher floor may help reduce noise from American Junkie bar next door. However it didn't make a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you TheGameCrafter for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I am so happy that the Hilton representative helped you find us. As you statrted, room availablity is low and prices are high during the National Restaurant Association Convention. But I am delighte to hear that you were satisified with the overall experience of your visit here with us.

I do sincerely apologize about the noise level from the neighboring American Junkie bar and restaurant. I am however happy that they were respectful enough to keep the noise down to a level that was not disturbing to you and your wife at a decent time of the evening.

I thank you again for such a great and thorough review of your experience here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. We all look forward to having you and your wife visit us again soon.

E: Janita.Walton@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

First of all the location, which is really convenient. The Magnificent Mile, other shops and restaurants are close by. The Navy Pier at walking distance and the Chicago River in all its glory nearby. The room was large with a small kitchen (with coffeemaker, microwave, small fridge) and bathroom. We did not need the earplugs for the noise outside, we slept great. The breakfast was very good with fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurt, oatmeal, a few hot items, wafflemaker, bagels) and last but not least: the very friendly people who work in the hotel. I do not have anything to complain about.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Aline0412 for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I am so happy to hear that you were satisfied with the location of our property. I hope you had enjoy time to experience and enjoy all that our beautiful city has to offer. I would also like to thank you for mentioning our very friendly & helpful staff. Each and every member of our team always strives to give the service our guests expect and deserve from check in to check out, and beyond.

We look forward to having you & your friends visit us again in the near future.

Vejle, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

After having spent A week at The hotel I feel sure that i couldn't have chosen A better place for A Holiday in Chicago: A Big room and bathroom, very clean and comfortable, complimentary breakfast and wi-fi, A Nice swimmingpool and whirlpool and A small but Well equipped gym. Ón top of that A very service minded and helpful staff. It is not a luxury hotel (3 stars I think but compared to other hotels I've stayed at it should have got 4) the price was very resonable. The only negative thing is that it is situated near The fire department which is A noisy neighbor, but then you Can get free earplugs in reception!

Room Tip: I'm sure all The rooms are good but maybe A room to The back Would be more Quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Lavritsen for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I ampleased to hear that you were satisfied with the service that our team provided to you during your time with us, as well as the accomadations and amenities of the hotel. Each and every member of our team always strives to give the service our guests expect and deserve from check in to check out, and beyond.

We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago.

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I did a lot of research before booking this hotel, and for the large part it was because of the amazing reviews it was getting on here. Well it didn't disappoint! Check in was so fast, friendly, and very efficient.

The room itself was great, we had a deluxe king suite which was basically a really big room with a wet bar, fridge, coffee maker, huge TV, etc. I've read a few reviews complaining about the bathroom being 'dated', not entirely sure what they were on about because it was perfectly fine.

The bed was enormous, and was soooo comfortable! I slept like a baby, even with the Chicago Fire Department sirens in the background. Yes you hear them from time to time, but I slept through them mostly, and it really wasn't a problem.

Location wise you simply can't get better. It was surrounded by a massive selection of great restaurants, was a block from the Red line station at Grand and State (6 stops to the Cubs, 7 stops to the White Sox, perfect!) It was a short walk to Michigan Avenue and the Magnificent Mile, and was easily walkable down to the Navy Pier and the lakefront. Buses were brilliant too, you could get anywhere from anywhere.

I really can't say enough good things about this hotel, it really was an ideal location, at a very good price. Having breakfast included was a massive bonus, despite there being some brilliant places for breakfast right nearby (you have to try Eggsperience on the corner of W Ontario and N Dearborn Pkwy, it's brilliant!)

Also, anyone who stays at this hotel just HAS to go and see Janita! Even if you don't need anything she is the sweetest most friendly person you could hope to meet, nothing is too much trouble, and she will help you with anything you need!

All in all we had a fantastic time here, and I really look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: If you're worried about the fire station ask for a room away from North Dearborn Parkway, they w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you hertsbaseball48 for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I am more than greateful for this awesome review and so personally pleased that I was able to help create that TRUE Chicago experience for you guys. I am glad that you were able to enjoy some Chicago baseball while you were here and all I can say is...GO SOX!!!

My team & I truly look forward to you visiting us again really soon!

Until the next time we meet,

Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The hotel is fine, the breakfast is very good, and the location is pretty useful as a tourist. But the floor tiles look really dirty (I'm told they are clean, just stained), still not good for walking around in bare feet. It's right beside a fire station, so we heard sirens frequently. They offer ear plugs at the reception which is nice, but if you don't like wearing them and are a light sleeper, this is probably not for you. Some of the guest room doors on our floor were very squeaky. I will be shopping around for my next trip to Chicago. If I got a good deal, I would consider this again, but otherwise I would probably give it a miss.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you DancingQueenGermany for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I am saddened to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your experience here. I would love to hear some additional feedback as to what we could have done to make your experience more enjoyable.

I would also like to thank you for your honest feedback about the condition of the bathroom tiles in our guest rooms. Unfortanately, we did not choose the best grout for the tiles when we renonvated 2 and a half years ago. Our General Manager and our Engineering team is currently working to find a solution to this problem.

We do wish to have to visit us again, so if there is anything that I can do please do not hesitate to contact me personally. I look forward to hearing you again soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My partner and I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown Chicago for a much needed vacation and let me tell you it was all wonderful. The minute we arrived we were greeted by smiles from valet, bell service and front desk and the smiles continued my entire stay. Our room was bright and very clean and breakfast was good with different choices every day. Every employee was friendly and was always ready to assist with my needs. The hotel is across the street from a fire station so expect noise plus you're in Chicago a city that has a lot going on all the time. I don't have kids but the pool and terrace looked perfect for families.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the fire station if you want less noise
Green Features: re-use your towels if you don't need a fresh one every day
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Hey Mark S. Thank you so much for the response. I am happy to hear that you & your partner had a "Funky Good Time" here in Chicago. We love having you guys here so please keep us in mind he next time you are vacationing from STL. Not sure if you are a baseball fan but the Cubs-Cardinals rivalry is 1 of the best ever! Maybe you guys can come for a game.

Hope to see you guys again soon.

San Diego, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a great location in the city. Lots of options within walking distance for shopping and eating. The staff was great, good free breakfast, and quality rooms. Also good for business meetings, the room we used was great for our team.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you Darla A for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I am delighted to hear that our meeting space was accomadating for you and your group. I am also happy to here that you were satified with the service of our team and that our location was suitable for you.

We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago from San Diego.

E: Janita.Walton@hilton.com

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown? Share your experiences!