“Chicago's Hampton Inn & Suites or not?” 4 of 5 stars

Book Now and Save 15%
Ranked #26 of 168 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bogis-Bossey, Geneve, Switzerland
“Chicago's Hampton Inn & Suites or not?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

A very centrally located hotel, just a few blocks from the Magnificent mile in downtown Chicago, with straightforward amenities is recommended both for a business or leisure stay. The rooms are spacious, containing the connectivity that we are zoo accustomed to, and the bathroom is standard. Complimentary wifi throughout the hotel. The fitness, is very mediocre but its size suffices to perform some rudimentary exercise. The pool, though relatively small (1 push two strokes), is relaxing and clean. This hotel differentiates itself by the friendliness and service-mindedness of its personnel. In particular I compliment the doormen team who have been extremely helpful in a proactive fashion throughout my stay (still on crutches). the complimentary breakfast is of poor quality, but given the abundance of good restaurants around the block easily forgotten.
Nextdoor's fire department tends to be somewhat noisy (do they really need sirens when there is no traffic in the middle of the night), but sleep quality and pricing for my 6 night stay were well balanced.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the West Illinois to avoid the fire departments quest to create noise 24/7
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
THANK YOU so much, Shogu, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

I do regret that you were not satisfied with the pricing & also troubled throughout the night by outside noise during your stay. The great thing about being in a dense urban downtown is the excitement of many people, things to do with a constant a hustle & bustle; however, with that comes noise. As with most hotels in downtown, street noise is something that will be encountered: Downtown Chicago is a dense, bustling city with lots of city noise including emergency vehicles that may be heard throughout all hours of the day. Most guests are not generally disturbed by the noise, but we realize that each person has their own sensitivity to it. For those light sleepers or to those not accustomed to city noise we do offer earplugs at the front desk.

We value our guests, so in the future if you have any concerns or comments, please reach out to any of our staff who is here to assist you in any way possible 24/7.

1,323 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Westchester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Pros: Great staff, terrific location, very good value. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Free breakfast is satisfactory, price is right especially if all you want is a muffin or cereal or a waffle.

Cons: Yes it is right next door to the fire station which was active all night long. I slept through most of it until about 3am then the sirens made it difficult to get back to sleep soundly.

All in for the one night it served its purpose, would stay again but only if I could get a room away from the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room, there aren't any 100% quiet ones but the further away from the street yo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
THANK YOU so much, nymiamiguy, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

I do regret that you did not get much sleep while staying with us due to outside noise. The great thing about being in a dense urban downtown is the excitement of many people, things to do with a constant a hustle & bustle; however, with that comes noise. As with most hotels in downtown, street noise is something that will be encountered: Downtown Chicago is a dense, bustling city with lots of city noise including emergency vehicles that may be heard throughout all hours of the day. Most guests are not generally disturbed by the noise, but we realize that each person has their own sensitivity to it. For those light sleepers or to those not accustomed to city noise we do offer earplugs at the front desk. We also have other room types AWAY from the firestation which are located on the interior side of the hotel.

We value our guests so please remember that if anything is bothering you or you have any concerns, there is someone at the front desk to take care of you 24/7.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here during the holiday season last year, and it was just fine, but it didn't cost me a total of $303 for one night. I really like the River North location, and the people out front and behind the counter go above and beyond the call of duty, but this isn't a full service hotel, and the complimentary breakfast is still a Hampton Inn breakfast.

Even though I decided at the last minute to pay up for an extra night in the city (partly because I'd just used a free night at a different establishment) and it was a perfect stay, I can't say that I got my money's worth. The room was nice and clean and the staff--once again--was great, but I won't return unless I can get a much better deal. Yeah, I'm hooked on Hilton Honors points, but with prices like this, I'm thinking about going back to Hotwire.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
THANK YOU so much, Interested01, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

I do regret that you feel as though you did not get your money's worth this visit due to the increase in the rate. Unfortunately, hotel rates fluctuate depending on events in the city creating demand, how far reservation is booked in advance & the number of rooms left available at the hotel. Hotel rates are very similar to airline fares in this aspect with different passengers paying different rates. Guests booking months in advance secure a great rate while other guests booking only weeks in advance may get a higher rate. Therefore, many guests choose to book far in advance to secure a lower rate. Rates are typically also lower during the holidays due to the lower occupancy levels during those times.

If you would like to express your experience during this stay a bit further, please do not hestitate to contact me via email or phone at the information listed below. I would love to possibly rectify this situation & make your stay worth while after all.

Norman, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The location in River North is great for getting out and exploring the Magnificent Mile, the Chicago River, and the Loop. Transportation options are great, and we had a short walk to the Blue line for easy access to O'Hare. The fire station can be noisy, but it is an urban envionment, after all! Views from the 12th floor were good, but lower floors probably not so much. For the price, a great place to have a comfortable bed and get out to see the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
THANK YOU so much, Stephen W, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago from Oklahoma.

Ft. Pierre, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Our first time to Chicago and we really lucked out with this hotel. Some reviewers had complained about the noise from the fire station nearby, but our room was directly across from the station and the noise didn't bother us a bit. We had a nice room, very comfortable bed. It was a little small but was fine for the price. Being our first time in Chicago, the staff was wonderful in helping us find places, get cabs, suggesting eating places. Will stay there again when we go back!

Room Tip: We were on fifth floor - a little higher would have given a better view of the city.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
THANK YOU so much, fragilmystic, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites & your 1st ever visit to Chicago. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in a king bed suite. Nice room with separate living area 2 TV's and then sep bath also small kitchenette with microwave wet bar and a small eating area. Wonderfully comfortable bed with pristine white sheets and duvet . The staff were so helpful and each one that you came across said good morning etc and smiled . Breakfast was much more than a normal Hampton inn breakfast with 2 hot dishes each morning and then the normal waffle fruit toasts muffins etc. all in all a wonderful stay and will definitely stay here again- also tons of restaurants in walking distance and short walk to Michigan ave - I will mention the fire station we only heard the sirens up to about 10.30 pm and never after that time so that was not a problem at all

Room Tip: Pay a little extra than the normal room to get the suite much more room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
THANK YOU so much, Jettsetter, for sharing the experience of your recent 3 night stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago from North Carolina.

P.S. We can't help but to LOVE the Tar Heels since Michael Jordan played there 1st! :-)

Londonderry, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a very nice Hampton Inn, in a great Chicago neighborhood. The staff, especially Ken at the Front Desk, is attentive and friendly. Service is really terrific.

I was upgraded to a very nice suite and it was really great to be able to spread out to do my work. The only issue I had with the room (612) is that the elevator runs directly behind the wall where the bed is located. One has to wonder what sadistic hotel designer thought this was a good idea. If they had simply reversed the set up, this would not be a problem. As it was, it felt like a freight train was running behind my head until most people were in for the night at around 10 pm. Unfortunately, I got an unwelcome wake up call at about 6:30 when the business travelers started leaving their rooms and it all started again. People have mentioned city noise as an issue here but I heard nothing from inside. My situation was all internal. I am sure the hotel would have moved me had I asked, however, by the time I realized the extent of the problem, I settled in for the night.

On the plus side, as always, bedding at Hampton is excellent - far nicer than other hotel brands in this same class. Good wifi, good TV, good everything except quiet...

Room Tip: Away from elevators!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
THANK YOU so much, AllisonNNH, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

I would also like to extend my sincere apology for the lack of sleep you experienced during your stay due to your room being near the service elevator. I am glad that I got the chance to speak with you regarding this matter prior to your departure. I love the suggestion that you gave me & I will be passing that information along to our General Manager. You will also be receive a package in the mail within 30 days to express how deeply sorry we are of the inconvenience.

Again, We appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago.

E: Janita.Walton@hilton.com

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown? Share your experiences!