“Perfect location, amazing customer service and clean/modern rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown

Park and Chill Savings
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Perfect location, amazing customer service and clean/modern rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

My fiance and I truly enjoyed our stay at the Hampton Inn in downtown Chicago. We were in town for one night for a concert at the House of Blues and this hotel was incredibly close to the concert venue. This hotel didn't disappoint. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a larger room and the front desk employee recommended a few seafood restaurants within walking distance (my fiance only eats seafood). They recommended a nearby crab house and even made the reservation for us. We felt very taken care of. Upon seeing our room, we were pleasantly surprised - Hampton Inn always has nice rooms, but this looked more like an upscale, modern hotel. Very nice color scheme and a large living space area/kitchen. The bed was comfortable, every employee we ran into was friendly, the complimentary breakfast was superb and we will absolutely stay here again when we return to Chicago.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, April 2, 2011
cookiemonster1908,

I hope that you & fiancé enjoyed the concert at House of Blues. It is very convenient to be just 1.5 blocks away from such an amazing concert venue. Thank you for your response regarding our staff: we try to give exceptional service & I am so glad to hear that our staff did just that by helping you with reservation at Shaw’s Crab House. We look forward to seeing you again when you are back in from Georgia.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
chicago, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

This was the only nice hotel that met my budget for my team meeting. Everything worked out very well. I had no issues whatsoever. Rosebud was great and ther is a Ruths Chris attached also. Great location for sightseeing and bus routes. Kim Miller was a pleasure to coordinate with.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
mkreus01,

I’m so glad that our hotel was able to meet your budget during your business meeting in Chicago. Kim Miller is a great Sales Manager on our team & am so glad that you had such a great experience with her. If you need to book another team meeting, feel free to contact Kim at 312-396-5247 as we would love to host your meeting again in the future!

Saint Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

I was in the hotel business and so I carry with me a "higher standard" and probably the reason I usually stay in Hilton branded hotels i.e. Hilton Garden Inns, Embassy Suites, Hilton, Conrad, The Palmer House, but this time for my birthday and with my spouse and my three boys (ages 14, 12, & 7) we decided to stay at this hotel due to its amenities, pool (of course), its location being only two short blocks from the House of Blues restaurant with live music, and the very fair rate with upgraded I requested and was bestowed upon by the very capable and accommodating General Manager, Mr. Andrew Scarlett. Thank you for everything and more. After the ease of e-check-in prior to arrival around 7 PM, we were very properly greeted by Paul (?). Our double - double suite on the 10th floor was very well appointed, updated, modern, furnished, and contained two NICE surprises....three windows on a corner for two views and two large flat screen LCD TV's, one in each the sleeping room and the parlor. (Two TV's are NOT listed on the Hilton web site room description for this hotel.) After getting settled with the kitchenette including the mid-size refrigerator to chill the spouse's and my beverages, we attended the very clean and well designed indoor swimming pool, large hot tub, and hot sauna located on the second floor. The pool is located very close to the restrooms, business center with four large (working!!) monitors all with free printing capabilities, and the breakfast area / dining room. I then printed the needed dining certificate and menu with ease before preparing ourselves for dinner. And, again, it was a simple, easy, safe, and comfortable walk to the House of Blues, when we passed a number of acclaimed restaurants within just two blocks! (Rosebuds, Sullivan's, Harry Carry's, Mother Hubbards Sports Bar, and, of course, with St. Patricks Day being the next day, a number of quiant Irish Pubs and Cafes. After our short return, we settled into the very comfortable and well-appointed beds. The breakfast on a weekday, Thursday, is open from 6 AM to 10 AM, and offers a full array of hot and cold items with about four (yes, 4) servers / attendants clearing trays, replenishing food and beverages, and geberally keeping all happy. (Our family felt so good and comfortable on the St. Pats Day morning, we started sharing and giving away green beads / necklaces to the servers, guests, children, and adults, to lighten the mood and create an even happier climate.) The staff was already handing out complimentary little green boxes of mints! The staff was very appreciative and thankful for the green beads we gave to all. After another dip in the wonderful pool, walk on the outdoor patio, and walkout in the great fitness center, we packed, checked our bags, and walked just four blocks to the Rock n Roll McDonalds, Portellos, Hard Rock Cafe, and the Rain Forest Cafe!! What a wonderful stay and day in the city we had!! Thank you Andrew and the entire staff at this great and wonderful Hampton Inn for making our one night get-a-way for a birthday, St. Pats, and the opening of Body Worlds at the MSI so memorable!! And my I add, we stay in many Hampton Inns with our travels to members of my rather large family and this is one of the BEST HILTON brand stays we have ever experienced. Thank you as I believe we found a home away from our home which is just west of Chicago one hour in St. Charles, IL. My whole family "tips our hat" to all of you!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
TravJX3,

Thank you so much for your in-depth review of the hotel. I can tell you are a savvy traveler, so your comments are especially valuable to our team. We hope you enjoyed your St Pat’s day & got a chance to see the “Greening” of the Chicago River! If not, you have another reason to come back next year: we’re only 3 blocks from the Chicago River…

Galesburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We love staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Chicago. The hotel has been completely renovated in the past six months, and the rooms are tasteful and comfortable. The complimentary breakfast offers a good variety of offerings. The staff, however, is what makes this hotel truly exceptional. They are very professional, yet warm and welcoming. They went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Frau55,

Thank you so much for the comment on our service. Our time strives to provide exceptional service to our guests. I will pass on your comments to our entire team so that know people appreciate their hard work.

Elmendorf, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

this very good hotel very nice rooms it very nice place has nice indoor pool the fridge and micowave was very good added fetrure in the room. the only advice i would say is hope you can sleep hard or bring some ear plugs this hotel is right by a very busy fire station. the hotel does give you ear plugs if you need them.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Freedumusa

Thank you so much for your photos from your stay with us. We hope you come see us again the future when you visit from Texas!

Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Went for a bachelorette party with a few girlfriends. The staff was very friendly and funny. They made us feel very comfortable. After arriving back at the hotel the concierge Mohamed was so accommodating. He new we had probably drank too much and gave the few of us that stayed up a free pizza and bottled water. After making us feel so welcome and at home, he moved our check out time to 2p.m. instead of 11 so the bride-to-be didn't have to wake so early. Great staff, very comfortable beds, clean and the BEST continental breakfast I've ever had.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your comments on your stay with us. I am so glad that Mohamed was able to provide you with such great service after your fun night in Chicago. We hope you & the new bride have an opportunity to come see us again the future!

Muncie, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Wife and I booked this hotel in connection with the "American Beauty Show" being held at McCormick Place. We received a good rate at $99 and it appeared to be located in a very convenient location to other activities in the city. My wife has a very serious food allergy and requires an in-room micro and fridge to prepare all meals. When I called to book this room I was connected to reservations and was told this room would have these amenities (leading me to believe that all rooms there had the same as a standard item). Since this was such a necessary item for our stay I called a second time, a day before the reservation, to confirm and once again was told there would definitely be a micro/fridge located in our room. (No need for a specialrequest) After driving four hours to arrive, we checked in and discovered no micro / no fridge. We called the desk and was told there were none available (even at a charge). We were offered an option to possibly work out a solution the following day ...but this was no help as we had to prepare and store meals beginning that evening. In their defense the offered to store her food in a fridge at the desk but her allergy is so severe that it is risky not to isolate her items. Initially they had mentioned a suite option (which had micro/fridge) but was told this would come at the increased price. I told them I would accept this solution but after checking was told it would not be available for my length of stay.
After an hour conversation with someone from Hampton Inn guest services (1-800) we were left with no alternative but to check out and return home. There were no other alternatives offered by the Hampton Inn personnel. We had to make the four hour return home that night, missing the 3 day conference (pre-paid). My wife also lost pay for the 3 day conference which she was to receive. Guess that $99 special rate at Hampton Inn was not so good afer all. My main complaint here is that first of all ..when booking or checking a reservation at this location you are transferred to a general reservations person that apparently has erroneous information about this property since I spoke to different personnel each time I called and was given the same information. Also, I was never offered an alternative hotel, something I later thought about and wondered why this was never offered. Although not familiar with downtown Chicago they could have offered to help relocate us ..I would have thought anyway.
A complaint has been filed in my behalf with Hampton/Hilton but as of yet no comment from their manangement staff. If this is an example of Hampton/Hilton customer service, I will most definitely look elsewhere in the future.

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, April 17, 2011
Mao007,

I am so sorry to hear that you weren’t able to enjoy your stay at our hotel. I apologize about the miscommunication regarding fridges & microwaves in our rooms. We will make sure to that you receive a fridge & microwave for your next stay with us. Once you make your reservation, please call the hotel & as for the front desk: the front desk will make sure to notate on your reservation that you require a fridge & microwave. The front desk will then ensure that the room your reserved have these amenities.

We look forward to making this right on your next stay with us.

Graciously,

Assistant General Manager

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown? Share your experiences!