“Only the Basics” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Elkton, Maryland
“Only the Basics”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

This is a basic hotel: 3 computers in the Business Center, 6 machines in the Fitness Room, unsecured/complimentary parking,no "family friendly" resturants, but it is clean and appears to be fairly new. It is not within walking distance of any Chicago destination and it is in an area that is being redeveloped, so be prepared. If all you need is a a place to sleep,don't need to keep children/family occupied, and are willing to pay for parking at your destinations or ride the Chicago transit system, you will be fine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
CSLManager, Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Chicago South Loop Hotel. We strive to meet everyone’s needs and expectations. I will share your comments with our three food and beverage outlets. We are minutes away from downtown on the number 29 State Street Bus. You can connect to almost anywhere via the Chicago Transit system. Thanks for the nice comments about our cleanliness. The hotel was built of new construction two years ago.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I had read the prior reviews so I had high hopes. When we checked in the lines were long as they had 2 people at the front desk. I waited, no problem. When they finally checked us in & gave us the key we went up to the room and walked in on a shirtless guy sitting there smoking a cigarette! He was really nice & said hello & everything, of course we apologized & got out of there. As we were hightailing it back down to the front desk I said to my husband "I thought this was a no smoking hotel?" Bizarre. When we got to the front desk there was still a long line but we stood to the side & got the persons attention who checked us in. Jackie was really nice & apologized profusely. She figured out that the guest renewed his stay but that the computer system didn't update the info. So she thought the room was unoccupied. She was really nice & offered us a complimentary meal in the hotel restaurant. We thanked her & told her it wasn't her fault. She said the wait for another room would be 15-20 minutes as the maid had to clean it. Keep in mind the room was already paid for with the prior reservations I had made. So again we waited. She finally told us our room was ready & when I went to grab my bags my husband said he overheard Todd the general manager telling Jackie she needed to take our room back. I guess he needed it for someone else that had an issue as well & had been waiting. My husband said he gave him a look that could kill. Jackie told Todd that she couldn't take our room back because we were on our way up to it. Can you believe a general manager would say that though? We finally made it to our room after a long line waiting for the elevator. That was a major problem. It seemed like there was only 1 working elevator for the entire hotel, we tried to use another one we found but it wasn't working. Our room was decent, we were glad to finally be in it. The room was spacious, nice bathroom with a huge bathtub. There were brown crumbs or something underneath the sheet on the bed that I had to remove with a handful of Kleenex. We went out to dinner for our anniversary and when we came back the free parking lot was full. We finally found a spot on the street, luckily. The next day upon checkout we went looking for the hotel restaurant so we could use our meal vouchers Jackie gave us the day before, (to make up for the occupied room incident). We smelled the food but couldn't find the restaurant, there was no menu in our room for it by the way. After several passes thru the hotel & several people giving us directions we finally found it. The "restaurant" was really like a convenience store/ coffee shop the size of a newspaper stand with 4 stools in it. No wonder we couldn't find it. They were cooking on a hot plate. When we walked up we waited 10 minutes while no one acknowlegded us or said hello. When we finally placed our order & waited for our food, my husband & I couldn't wait to eat & get out of there. They told us there was an empty banquet room across the hall where we could wait for our food & they would bring it over to us. The waitress that brought our food was nice & cordial the food was ok. We hurriedly ate & left. Overall, we thought the hotel wasn't equipped to handle the volume of people that were there. The professionalism wasn't there for the most part. Jackie was professional & extremely nice but mostly everyone else was not. Starting at the top with Todd the general manager, perhaps that's the problem. I was disappointed by the whole experience. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. That was our first & last time staying there. Unfortunately Jackie's sweet personality can't carry the entire hotel. If you decide to stay there after this review you can't say you weren't warned.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
CSLManager, General Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
My name is Travis Bowman. I am the General Manager of the Chicago South Loop Hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback. I wanted you to know that I do monitor guest comments and follow-up. More importantly, I would like to apologize for your initial experience at the hotel. There is nothing worse than having a guest checked into an occupied room. I will contact you to make things right.

We were unusually busy while you were with us. It is our goal to monitor our occupancy so everyone gets the special attention they deserve. There were a lot of activities planned at and around the hotel. We are a non-smoking hotel and charge a penalty for those who abuse this policy. The hotel has three food and beverage outlets to accommodate all price ranges. The number 29 State Street Bus is immediately outside our front door. You can connect to practically anywhere through Chicago’s transit system.

I appreciate all your feedback. Please look for my follow-up.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

The hotel is about a $14 (and 10 min.) cab ride from the theater district and N. Michigan Ave. (with heavy traffic), but we booked it at the last minute for a last minute trip to the city. It has no pool and no microwave or frig in the room. The rooms are mostly double queens and are very large. Rooms are very clean. Elevators are slow and we often had to take stairs. We were on the top floor, which is the 5th. There are no "do not disturb" signs, which was annoying. We saw no luggage carts, though the front desk said they had them. Parking is free. You need to call to the desk to request that a cab be called 10 mins before you want to leave because no cabs wait at the taxi stand. It is in the middle of an industrial area. There is an onsite restaurant, but we did not visit it. There is nothing to walk to nearby. Free wireless internet was very poor from room. I did not try it elsewhere. (I connected at 56 Mbps, but had no connectivity to the Internet). Other reviewers talked about noisy train. We had rooms on both sides of the hotel and heard nothing. We got a very good rate on Hotwire. It was very clean and the staff was polite. It was close by car or taxi to tourist destinations in CHI. I would stay there again since all we did was sleep there, though hubby (who is more finicky than I) would not if there were other options because of noisy lobby and slow elevators. There were 4 family reunions at the hotel and the people all seemed to congregate in the lobby.

Lombard, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I was thoroughly pleased with the service and the quality of room that I got from staying at this hotel. Being from the south side of Chicago originally, I would have easily passed this hotel up because of the vacinity. The vacinity has changed for the best and this hotel gets my vote for cleanliness, friendly staff, value and the closenessof the location to the McCormick place was immeasurable. I am not one who would instantly agree to walk, but the distance to McCormick Place was silly to waist a cab ride or try to ride the CTA to get to it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Union City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

This hotel was in good condition and the rooms were nice and clean and we were fortunate enough to get a high-floor room with a nice panoramic view of the City. The staff was quite helpful and motivated to provide good customer service. My only (minor) complaints would be the hotel's relative isolation and lack of walking-distance amenities (restaurants, cafes, shopping, etc). In exchange for this isolation, you have easy access to the #29 bus which goes up State Street, through downtown and conveniently ends at the Navy Pier. We bought a 3-day CTA pass for $14 and it was a great value for seeing Chicago and getting to/from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I had a need to stay at a hotel for an extended period of time during the months of May and June, 2010. While the circumstances surrounding my need to stay were difficult, the staff at the Chicago South Loop Hotel made my living experience an appreciated pleasure. The management (Travis and Todd) were warm and personable while remaining professional. The reservation/desk staff took the true meaning of customer service to a level I've not experienced often in this new age where speed trumps the old-fashioned model of extending one's self to provide the best of customer care. Thanks to Jacqueline, Tommy, Andrew, Shakara, and the others whose names I don't remember. The housekeeping staff were efficient and very careful, not disturbing my personal belongings while cleaning and tidying the living space. My room was the best in the hotel with a balcony door that opened to access the most gorgeous view of the Chicago skyline one could experience from a hotel room. Thanks Chicago South Loop Hotel for making my life comfortable and for putting a smile in my spirit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Columbus, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

The hotel was easy to find, in a clean area. It was immaculate and beautifully decorated. We had a double queen room and the room and bathroom were very big. The staff was very friendly and helpful and remembered us each time they saw us. They also were helpful when we called for directions to get there, and then when we called from various place around the city to find out about the public transportation system. The business center was nice to use and free. Jacqueline, Tommy, and Travis were excellent staff at the front desk, and the service staff was always friendly as well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!