“I feel the need to warn you.” 1 of 5 stars

Chicago South Loop Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   11 West 26th Street, and W 26th St, Chicago, IL 60616   |
Ranked #106 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
New York
“I feel the need to warn you.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

First of all, let me mention that I travel often for business and this is the first time I've ever felt strongly enough about a hotel to actually take the time to review it. This place is not what they advertise it to be. They call themselves a "boutique hotel." It's not. The rooms and service are the equivalent of any crappy two-star hotel. But that is not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is the location. In short, it is not safe. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Chinatown L stop. The area around Chinatown is bustling and colorful and definitely worth exploring. BUT, the hotel is not in Chinatown. As soon as you walk one block from the L towards the hotel, you are in a run-down, ghetto. And it doesn't just look unsafe. It IS unsafe. A man followed me as I walked from the L to the hotel around the corner of State and 23rd St. When I let him pass in front of me, he waited at a bus stop until I passed and then continued to follow me. When I turned to face him to acknowledge that he was following me, he insisted on "walking with me." I got on my cell phone with my boyfriend but that did not deter him. I started to get nervous as we were getting further away from any other people. That's when I hailed a cab to the hotel. There are a lot of people just "hanging out" on that corner (which is a bunch of boarded up store fronts and an empty lot) and once you turn on to State, you have a 10 minute walk down a pretty empty street until you get to the hotel. It's a perfect situation for someone to get raped or mugged.

That's the worst of it, but that's only the beginning...I'll try to sum up the rest. Service is not exactly rude...more like sedated...It took the guy at the counter over 10 minutes to check me in while a line formed behind me b/c he couldn't find my reservation and although there were other people hanging out behind the counter, they were not helping him...or anyone else. There is no restaurant at (or near) the hotel and also no refrigerators in the room, so dining in is challenging. I brought some food back from Chinatown but had to fill a bucket with ice to keep it cold. The vending machines on several floors had no water left in them...to get drinking water I had to go to the water cooler in their "state-of-the-art" fitness room (it's not state-of-the-art).

In short, this place is ghetto trying to sell itself as chic. From the disgruntled looks I noticed on the faces of other guests, I assume I'm not the only one that was deceived by the website and expected something completely different for the price.

The one positive thing I can say is that the bathtub in my room was huge, which was a nice way to decompress after an unpleasant evening spent here at Chicago South Loop Hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

We attended a Conferance at the Mc Cormick's place, the hotel's location was good for the Visit. It was clean the staff was friendly the Bellboys were always in the loby, avalible to assist with information, cabs ect. The front desk allways ready to help even the handy man we saw. The house keeper was horrible and either missed cleaning our room or did so inadequately . The smal personal cafe as well as the bar as a good touch. The hotel is about a 1/2 mile's walk from China Town and the 'L' the elivated train, the buss a few blocks away can take you down town, the Metra at c Cormick's Place as well. Overall we would certainly stay there again.

ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

would reccomened this hotel staff very helpful and friendly.bus right outside the door to bring you to the centre of town and buses run on a regular service.the hotel is suitated in a quite area would come back here and would reccomened it to anybody looking for a place in chicago to stay!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I booked a trip with my 2 sisters for a week in Chicago. Having stayed at the South Loop Hotel for the Chicago Marathon I decided to stay again. The large rooms and with a good sized bath were part of the reason. This hotel offers free parking, and is close to city transportation. Very clean and quite with friendly staff, a great deli and new restaurant on site.
My sisters and my self enjoyed our stay and plan to return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

I had a nice room and everything was going fine until 11:00pm when a couple a man and a woman. Her husand must have been drunk and they was fighting and slamming doors i call the front desk and securtiy came stay stop for a while and stay startrd up again and she came out of her room asking for help.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Chgoguy80, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. Safety and security is very important at the Chicago South Loop Hotel. Like most new hotels within the city, we offer electronic door locks, cameras that monitor public areas, staff that is trained on public safety, and on-site security. We have a strict policy about noise. If we have to address a noise issue more than once with a specific guest they will b asked to leave. We want every guest to have a pleasant stay.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

I chose this hotel because of the price, proximity to the McCormick place were I was attending a conference, and generally favorable ratings. Not familiar with Chicago, I was concerned about the location's safety. The hotel was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and I slept very well all 4 nights I was there. It's an easy walk to the Convention Center, and I had no safety concerns (as a woman traveling alone). My only complaint is the same as others ... no in-room coffee! There is a very small family style cafe onsite for breakfast and lunch items, but no adjacent restaurants or coffee shops. The price was great -- I would stay here if I attend another conference in Chicago!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Chicago South Loop Hotel. I'm very glad that your experience with us was mostly favorable. We are now serving complimentary coffee in our business center and our restaurant should be opening this week. We would love to have you come back to stay with us again.
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

This place is pretty gross. When you first walk into the hotel, things look ok, but don't look too close...it's a dirty little mess. There is no doorman, no security and nobody to welcome you when you come in. the front desk staff were not rude but they certaintly were not friendly! They were just ...'there' and at times seemed annoyed to be there. The neighborhood is not safe at all, which normally wouldn't be bad, but this hotel has no security and nobody who stands up front! The doors are left unlock in the front and sometimes the side so people can wander in and out from the streets if they wanted too. The rooms are ok but they just have that lipstick on a pig feel. Nothing high quality. there is no place to eat there either, no room service, and no resturant. There is a bar that has bad food but good service! The workers in the bar were the friendliness. In the hotels defense, they DO have a nice lobby! But if your not planning on sleeping in it.....I would skip this hotel .

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your comments about our team. The hotel was built of new construction and furnishings 2 years ago. We are four miles from Chicago's city center. Transportation is readily available. The state street bus stop is right outside our doors. Chicago's transit system is an inexpensive means to travel throughout the city. The hotel works with Royal Carriage as it's taxi partner. Their taxi hub for the city is only 1 1/2 blocks from the hotel. We will address your issues with our sport's lounge. The hotel does allow Awake with Pearl to use the adjacent meeting room as overflow seating whenever possible. The hotel's full service restaurant will be opening the weekend of July 4th.

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!