“Avoid this Hotel!” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Motel   |   11 West 26th Street, and W 26th St, Chicago, IL 60616   |
Ranked #108 of 179 Hotels in Chicago
“Avoid this Hotel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I booked this hotel, advertised as a 3-star hotel in the south loop of Chicago. Perhaps it was technically in the south loop, but it was a terrible area, with vacant or vandalized lots surrounding it. Upon check-in, there was a guest attempting to get an unconcerned management to address the issue of finding dirty and stained pillows and pillow cases in his room. They have advertised that the hotel is recently renovated, but there were no renovations I could see. The room appeared cheap, old and dirty. The bed had been made with the sheet ON TOP of the comforter. When we approached management with any of our concerns, they were disinterested at best, rude at worst. We chose to check out after being there 12 hours, leaving at 6:45am, even though we would be forfeiting the money paid for the remaining 4 days. Management was unavailable when we tried to check out, so I waited and finally knocked on the desk several times. A hotel staff member came out and stared at me, not asking what I needed. When I said we wanted to check out several days early, he did not ask why or attempt to address anything. He said "ok, you're done." The staff in the restaurant/bar was pleasant, but all other staff were completely disinterested. Very disappointed. .

Room Tip: Ask for the most recently renovated room if you have to stay there
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in the end of may. We booked the hotel because of the parking space. We were pleasantly surprised that there was so much parking space, and that it was fenced off. We are frequent travellers and taking publich transport to downtown chicago is very easy. Busstop is a few steps away and metra lines are 500 mtrs away.
Restaurants are on site, but we had a very good Thai meal in Opath Thai which was about half a mile or 1km away on the same street. According to Yelp there is also a great Burger Point, but that was closed for Memorial Day. For me it is important that you can have a nice run from the hotel. And Soldier Field and Lake Shore are only 1,5 mile away so that was very very easy and a huge bonus. Running Lake Shore is so much fun with the specially designed trail.

The rooms were enormous. We had 2 queen sizes, minifridge coffeemaker and a large bathroom. This hotel exceeded our expectations for a (nearby) downtown Chicago hotel by far. It is a perfect place to spend your time in Chicago, especially when you have a car with you. I can recommend this hotel for sure

Room Tip: Ask for cornerview
Greetings Rob V,
Thank you for your stellar review! We appreciate your sharing with the Trip Advisor community about your experience with us. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself while in Chicago. It sounds like you had fun navigating around the city on public transit and your limbs! We welcome you to visit us again next time you are in Chicago.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Ideal location not too far from shopping!!! Hotel room was spacious and clean. The shower was incredible and the staff were very friendly. Definitely will recommend for great pricing. Only con was the neighborhood at night looked sketchy

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Greetings Scarpatrick,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is refreshing to hear you enjoyed our location and found our staff friendly and showers incredible! I apologize for your feeling our neighbourhood is sketchy. It is just quiet at night, being in a residential neighbourhood. Thank you for sharing.
Dewey, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It was easy to find off the interstate. Rooms were clean and adequate. Area seemed safe. Free parking was a real asset. Breakfast was not included but there was a small restaurant where breakfast could be purchased that was very tasty.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Greetings terthebear,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your taking the time to share your view with others. Your experience with us seems to have been pleasant and we hope to see you again soon!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The front reception is a bit rude--not friendly to be sure. For the price, the rooms are solid, everything is clean and we had no problems. However, the location is not a place you really want to be. For the price, if you are willing to take a taxi ride--anywhere from $7 to $15, you can get anywhere, so in that sense the proximity to downtown is good, but if you are looking for a place to walk from--keep looking. There are a lot of scary reviews on one of the other sites that concerned us, so we took extra precautions. This hotel should have safes in the rooms, but does not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the hotel away from the train/mass transit.
Greetings Stxjunkie,
Thank you for reviewing our property. I am disappointed to hear you felt our front desk staff was rude. This is definitely not our norm, as our other Trip Advisor reviews will state. Many of our guests give glowing reviews about our front desk staff. I apologize if you did not receive the exemplary service we strive for. Your comments will not go unnoticed and will be addressed. We appreciate your bringing this to our attention.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked accommodation through Hotwire and was really happy once we arrived and saw the hotel and room. And it came with free parking!

We drove to Chicago and getting to the hotel from the freeway was a breeze. Check-in was easy, staff were lovely. Our room was huge! Can't remember the number sorry, but on the fourth floor and at the end. It was a corner room with two large windows from two directions. The bathroom is also really large. The bed and mattresses were new and really, really comfy. Wi-fi was fine, not a problem at all with access and speed.

The hotel is a bit further out of town. There are a couple of bus stops only a couple of blocks over though. For $2.25 the bus goes into the city. For the price we got the room you can't go wrong staying here :)

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Greetings 2014_KatieK,
Thank you for your four star review! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It seems that everything from our friendly staff to our spacious rooms satisfied you. Should your travels bring you back to Chicago, we would love to have you again!
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When we pulled up to this hotel I was very impressed (especially considering the cost). the lobby was great, and the staff are all personable and fun to talk to. The bar is fairly inexpensive, and Cee Cee (bartender there) was a joy to talk to.

Once I got to my room however, I was a bit less impressed. The Carpets, while I'm sure are clean in the sense that they are regularly cleaned, felt and looked dirty. Again, I'm sure the staff do what they can but you can tell this carpet has been worn in. The beds themselves were clean, I did notice red stains, which I suspected might be bed bugs, but they said it was wax stains. Bedding was promptly replaced and everything was fine.

Washroom was clean, and the bath tubs were HUGE! I've been so many hotels with decent sized tubs, but these ones were definitely Jacuzzi-sized almost.

Noise levels both in the hotel and outside were fine, I didn't have any problems sleeping.

Wi-Fi was terrible. I couldn't maintain a signal in my room on the east side of the building. They need to find a way to boost Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, it's simply unacceptable that one side of a hotel be without Wi-Fi. For someone on a business trip, this is quite a drawback.

Honestly I am conflicted about this hotel. Part of me loves the staff, decor of the lobby, and the bar; however I still can't get over the room itself. I feel like if they renovated the rooms they would easily have a 4...4.5 star hotel. For me however, it comes down to the room, as nice as everything else is, the room is what's most important.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Tk K, Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Greetings Kurtis S,
Thank you for reviewing our property. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our staff, lobby, soaking tub and CeeCee from the bar. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with our housekeeping and wifi. Had we been made aware of any difficulties you had with your wifi, we could have directed you to our internet provider for further assistance. Thank you for your feedback. Your comments will not go unnoticed and will be addressed.

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!