“Great hotel with a very helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Chicago South Loop Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   11 West 26th Street, and W 26th St, Chicago, IL 60616   |
Ranked #106 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
“Great hotel with a very helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our band was in Chicago for a concert we played nearby. We flew into O'Hare and did not have a car. We had an early flight and arrived in Chicago in the morning, tired, with our gear and luggage. Getting there from the airport wasn't too bad by train, but it was a little bit of a walk from the Chinatown station. We asked if we could check into at least one of our rooms earlier and it was not a problem - we also got a room upgrade, which was very nice - a few beds, chairs and sofa, so at least our band could relax. Check in went smooth, and they even suggested some great places that delivered food. The staff was again helpful giving us info for the bus, which stops right on the corner by the hotel. The bus is the way to go if you don't have a car and a few stops up you're in the middle of downtown near everything you could want. They directed us to a supermarket to get some supplies we needed. Every question and anything we needed we were helped quickly by the staff. The cafe there was great for breakfast, and the coffee was good. The rooms had wi-fi, and there was also a computer room with a few PCs and even a Mac. Rooms were clean and spacious. Beds very comfortable. There's a shuttle service that was awesome and affordable to the airport from the hotel. We had a terrific stay - you could not beat the value. Exceeded our expectations. The only we would have liked was to have a swimming pool, especially if it were indoor. A few of us went to the bar and the bartender was great. There's not much just outside the door, but it's a quick and easy couple blocks on the bus or drive to be near anything you'd ever need. Just ask the staff, they are very helpful! We've stayed in our share of hotels, and this one might be the best for your money. Can't say enough about the staff. We were treated like royalty. Our weekend rocked at Chicago South Loop Hotel!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I've stayed at this hotel twice in the past 6 months. Once in October 2014 and once in April 2015. Both times I picked this hotel because it was close to McCormick place the site of the convention that had brought me to Chicago. This hotel turned out to be "close enough" to McCormick place. The fall convention did not include this hotel and I walked to and from the convention center every day. Weather could be a bit brisk in late October and mid-April and I was goaded into a pretty good pace on those chilly days. A sport coat and my watch cap sufficed, though. The second convention in April had this hotel on the bus pick-up route and I used the bus once or twice and walked the rest of the time.

The hotel facility is fine. It's not a convention hotel and you have to hit the restaurant at the right times if you want to eat real food, but that's all manageable. The bar during off-hours has some food and when it's quiet, the bartender had just the right attitude and degree of engagement to suit me. The rooms are clean, spacious and utterly lacking in character, but who cares. The bathrooms were sparkling. I used the fitness room to get a sweat and pump some iron--much as I can at my stage of life--I was the only one in it 4-days a week on both stays.

WiFi worked, but wasn't spectacular, on 1-2 days I would have paid more for an upgraded wifi if it had been available. I used the bus and the el a good deal throughout both stays and they were quite convenient. I did not have a car. I took the Blue line from O'Hare to the loop and then the bus on State Street to the hotel. Worked like a charm.

I recommend this hotel as being a comfortable place to stay when convention going on a budget and have suggested it to others who have business at McCormick Place. Unless it's the dead of winter when I wouldn't want to take the 15 minute walk, I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: My room was second floor over the main entrance, still it was very quiet.
Oldham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed here for 5 nights last week, average hotel with average amenities.
The wifi only worked properly in the reception area and not much in the rooms. The restaurant served an amazing jambalya and reasonably priced

Greetings Kevin240959,
We appreciate your taking the time to review our property. I apologize for any inconvenience our wifi caused you. Had we been made aware, we could have connected you with our internet support. I am delighted you enjoyed our restaurant and hope you visit us again, should your travels bring you back to Chicago.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and i had a great time in Chicago. We were a little surprised at the rooms though. Its not that they were dirty but they were very bland. No decor or style to the rooms. It did look like they did update the bathrooms. The room is very spacious. So we looked at it as just a nice clean place to rest our heads. The staff was nice and the beds comfortable. It's relatively close to downtown chicago. About a 15 min cab ride.

Room Tip: the food at the bar downstairs is great
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Greetings Damon C,
Thank you for reviewing our property. I apologize that you found our decor bland. We do offer a traditional design style for our guests. I am glag to hear you enjoyed the spaciousness of our rooms and found our staff friendly. Next time you are in Chicago, we hope you give us another try.
Floydada, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel is a little off the tourist loop being near Cellular Field, but the value more than made up in satisfaction. The hotel was nicely appointed, modern and clean. Our room was very large with more than average floor space, modern amenities including refrigerator & free parking. Bus stop right outside the door and subway 4 blocks away. Great value & definitely recommend!

Stayed April 2015
Greetings Bearspants,
Thank you for the four star review. I am so pleased to read about your positive experience with us. It sounds like everything from our complimentary parking to our spacious rooms were to your liking. That is what we like to hear! Thank you for sharing.
Guayaquil, Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed for easter 2015 and we really had a good time!
The hotel is a bit far from main attractions but it is ok. The zone is not as bad as other recommenders suggested. I mean afterall it is Chicago, so you have to be carefull wherever you go. We had a really good deal for this hotel, and everytime we wanted to go out there was a taxi waiting for us at the entrance of the hotel.
The room was huge and clean. It smells good, I also have to say they have jazz music in the lobby and awesome paints of jazz players. Wondering how much you have to pay for taxis? Around 10 bugs from the hotel and millenium park and viceversa.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
GMCSL, General Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear
Alexis V

Guayaquil, Ecuador

Thank you so much for your gracious and honest review of our property. It brings us great pleasure to see that our hard work and dedication is paying off. The Chicago South Loop is s a lovely hotel, in such a historic, up and coming area. We are located just south of the city, but with the new train station recently opened, 2 main bus lines and the ease of taxis as you mentioned it’s quite easy to get into The Heart of the Downtown area. Please always look at us as your "home away from Home" while traveling in the Chicago area, please remember we also offer free parking which makes us a great value as well!
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor family!
Las Vegas, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed in room 224 and I have bites all over my body. The door lock broke on me. The soap was never restocked. The food in the restaurant was mediocre. There is a little cafe and the lady that runs it is super nice and makes decent breakfast snacks.

Greetings Oni C,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am disappointed to hear of the issues you had during your experience with us. I assure you this is not our norm. Your room was thoroughly checked for pests and no evidence was found. Had we been made aware of this during your visit, we would have gladly changed your room. We would love to be afforded the opportunity to have you again as a guest and show you how we can shine. Thank you for your feedback.

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!