“I'll be back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #104 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“I'll be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was the second year in a row that I made this hotel my "stay-cation" spot to getaway for my birthday weekend. Here's what I like best about this property.....they aren't seeking to be the Ritz, the Plaza, or any other high end hotel. They aim to provide a wonderful experience to their guests by providing clean, comfortable rooms at a price that is more than affordable. I should let on that I have several years in the hospitality industry and have worked as a room attendant and as a hotel operator for a major property. There were some obvious changes to the room decor and this was a pleasant surprise. I love the upgrades to the bed and although I had a bit of a challenge finding a happy medium with the room temperature, it did not deter from my comfort and experience. There was an issue with my door lock that threatened to make me late in my preparation to meet a restaurant reservation on time, but the problem was quickly rectified. Parking is a little sketchy being it is on a first come, first served basis. The customers of the restaurant and the bar, should be limited to street parking, if they are not booked guests in the hotel. I am looking forward to the additional amenities that a recent email from the GM promised will be forthcoming, in hopes that it will provide an even better experience for the guests, such as an informational "book" that will give guests more comprehensive information on restaurants, cab service, coffee shops, and other goods and services in the area. Keep up the good work CSLH. You're on the right track!

Room Tip: Elevator can be a little noisy in the still of the night. Request a room away from it.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Greetings LadyJ1702,
Thank you for the five star review. We appreciate your compliments and are delighted you have noticed some of the changes we have made. We will also be installing new carpet and furniture this year and invite you to experience our rooms once completed. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with others.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here while attending a convention at the mccormick center. It is close and easy to get to from the center. It is def not one of the nicer parts of Chicago but we did not personally experience any problems. There was a car jacking a few blocks away the night we stayed though. The hotel is nice, free parking is a major perk. Our room was large and on the side of the hotel away from the train. Noise was not a problem. There was a big bathtub, that was clean so I actually enjoyed a morning soak. There was a huge stain on the floor and chair in the sitting area. Cleaning the carpets would have bumped up my rating.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Greetings Ashley F,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted you found our soaking tubs relaxing and found our location convenient for your needs. It is disappointing to hear about the maintenance issue in your room pertaining to the carpet and chair. This will be discussed with the department and rectified. Thank you for your feedback.
Huntington Woods, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had a wonderful stay that far exceeded my expectations. I booked the hotel as a secret hotel on Expedia for a very good price. After reading the reviews here, I was worried that I had made a mistake. I was therefore very pleased that, even at this low rate, I got a wonderful, spacious modern, quiet room at one of the back corners. I had two queen size beds, a desk to work at, a reasonably fast Internet connection, and a very modern bathroom with a large tub with lots of hot water. It's about a 20 minute walk to the McCormick Convention Center where my convention was being held. The neighborhood around the convention center is much better than it used to be so that I didn't feel unsafe, but perhaps thieves stay home during January blizzards. The staff was amazingly friendly. Chinatown was about a 15 minute walk away. Otherwise, restaurant choices aren't all that great. The hotel is also somewhat far away from public transportation. I didn't have a car and thus didn't benefit from the free parking. I'm not sure if I would book a room here for a tourist visit to Chicago, but it's a great, inexpensive way to avoid the high price hotels if you're attending a convention.

Room Tip: My room in the back was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Greetings Robert H,
Thank you for the five star review! I am delighted you found your first visit with us stellar. We appreciate your positive comments and will share them with the staff. Thank you for the feedback.
Flagstaff, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Really the best benefit of this hotel is that they have free parking. Though the parking gets quite competitive on the weekends as there is a fairly popular bar downstairs whose patrons freely steal hotel guest parking spaces. The hotel rooms are fairly updated and in clean condition. There were new high-end mattresses in the room and the rooms are quiet. Seems to be a well-built/ insulated hotel. The service is not that good. Housekeeping forgot to replenish our towels on the 3rd night and a both a phone call and a personal visit to the desk both promised to bring towels to the room, but it never happened. Drying off with a handtowel after a shower isn't the best. The fitness center is junk. Very old treadmills that slam up and down (especially the one on the right) as you run. They need to be replaced. The free weights are fine and a multipurpose machine should probably also be thrown in the dumpster. The hotel is close to the L Greenline, within about a 15 minute walk. The walk is in a "fair" area as far as crime goes and there is a brand new L station nearby. Illinois Institute of Technology is nearby- maybe 20 minutes or so walking. We ate down at the small breakfast room one of the days. The lady who was running the place is an absolute delight and so friendly. The food is only fair. I would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Greetings landcruiserbob,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Your detailed description of your experience with us shall help our future patrons. I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with our fitness center equipment. Your comments did not go unnoticed and will be addressed. I am glad you found Adrienne from The Food Boutique delightful. She is great! We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Free Parking
Free Wifi
Nice Rooms
Friendly Staff

I have stayed here several times and continue to come back. I do not enjoy staying downtown because it is too much of a hassle. The Chicago South Loop Hotel is on the far south end and makes it very easy to jump on the freeway. If you are looking for a good value and a decent hotel, this is your place

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Greetings Storm S,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate the five stars! I am delighted you have chosen our hotel as your home away from home. Our staff values your patronage.
Central Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Despite the name, this hotel is about 10 blocks South of what is generally considered the "South Loop" neighborhood.
If you were to walk to the actual South Loop of Chicago where there are restaurants and shops, the most dangerous part of the journey would be when you are close to the destination of the hotel.

There are no shops or restaurants nearby because you really should not walk around this area. A quick internet search on this street in Chicago will show weekly reports of violent crimes.

If safety is not a concern, the hotel offers free parking, large rooms, and a friendly staff making it a good value. The hotel is dated and old, but not bad if you can get a room away from the East side of the building where the nightclub resides on the first floor.

• Stayed February 2015
Greetings Riss,
Thank you for reviewing our property. The part of 26th street in Chicago with a high violent crime rate is not near our hotel. That is much further west than our hotel, which is located in a quiet, residential neighbourhood. The South Loop officially stops four blocks north of our property on Cermak Road. So, we are in the South Loop area. Most of our guests have cars and have no problem navigating throughout the city. I am delighted you found our staff friendly and found value in our spacious rooms and complimentary parking. Thank you for sharing your feedback.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference at McCormick Place and the hotel and location couldn't have been a better fit. I found a great deal for the stay and was placed in a room that was very spacious and comfortable. Additionally, there was FREE parking and free wi-fi, which were huge pluses for me. While the hotel isn't located right by any stores, it still has two restaurants inside of it plus a cafe which make it easy to get dinner. It's easy and fairly cheap to get to anywhere around the hotel as well.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Tk K, Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Greetings Katie N,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate the four star review. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us and found value in our property. We invite you to come and visit us again, should you return to Chicago.

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!