“One of the worst” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“One of the worst”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I do not care much about the looks of a hotel. I just ask for a clean bed and bathroom and I am happy. This hotel did not even deliver that. The front desk personnel was unfriendly, pillows and sheets were dirty and smelly, the sofa had several stains, the little table had something yellow and sticky that I don't want to know what it was. It is just a bad hotel. It reminds me about a $20 room I got in Mexico. Of course this costs $150. Lesson learned.

Dear Manuel_gg2000,
Thank you so much for offering feedback regarding your experience. I apologize for the inconvenience you had with our housekeeping. This is definitely not our norm. Your comments were not unnoticed and will be addressed.

678 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I visited a few friends in Chicago and found this hotel on Hotwire. It is not the most luxurious hotel but more than met my needs of a good place to sleep and shower. The front desk and staff were excellent and pleasant. Location were very good especially if you are seeing soldier field, etc.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Tk K, Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Greetings Tom P,
We appreciate your patronage and providing feedback regarding your experience with us. I am delighted you found our staff exemplary and our location desirable. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

If you have are seeking good value and have a car and expect to use it, while visiting Chicago, this hotel is a very good choice. Keeping in mind that this is not a hotel aimed at the high-end consumers, the property hits the right marks for a value-oriented traveler: free parking, comfortable accommodations, cleanliness, and safety. Some spots on the carpet and a general appearance that shows the property's age keep me from giving this a five-star rating, but overall, the place delivered well on the factors that were important to me.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor. Though I did not hear anything, the noise level seems to be a comm...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Greetings Dan W,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you found value in our location, complimentary parking, safety and clean accommodations. Hopefully, you will return soon! Thank you for your business.
Cortland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Booked through hot wire and got a good price. Front desk personnel were friendly and helpful. Room was spacious but in need of a better cleaning of the bathroom and some new paint. We felt comfortable walking around the neighborhood during the day. It is a haul from downtown, Northerly Island, etc .... Free parking made it worth it.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Greetings Bill B,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our property. I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary parking, spacious rooms and friendly staff. I apologize for the issues you had with the cleanliness of your bathroom. I assure you your comments will be addressed.
Aptos, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Booked on Hotwire, but was priced well on kayak. Was looking for low cost, including parking.
This hotel is literally on State street, which makes bus at front door. Less than 25 minutes to get to your day trip for family... Millennium park, short walk from state to Shedd Aquarium, 35 minutes directly to Navy Pier!

We drove, but could have walked a few blocks to Reggie's Music Joint, what a great place. Out door dining on street, but don't miss the roof top deck. Good mix of bar foods, fun, and ambiance.

Room was spacious, bathroom clean. Fridge in room. We came here after a night at a 4 star hotel to the north, and my children were much more comfortable at this place because it was relaxed. Parking in town can cost you 40 plus (closer to 60 at the other hotel). So this was a great value.

Pizza can be ordered to room, and actually, several nearby State street restaurants will deliver
Chicago's Chinatown is a few blocks away, not as charming as DC, SF, NYC. Lots of dim sum places that are on recommended restaurant list.

Room Tip: Parking, wifi, price, and public transportation
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Coast2coastMD,
I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your experience at our hotel. From our complimentary parking to our spacious rooms, it sounds like we covered your needs. We look forward to having you visit again soon. Thank you for your patronage.
Jackson, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Came into town July 25-27. Convenient to stay to be near the McCormick Center, not convenient if you plan on the Miracle Mile or Navy Pier if you don't plan on driving yourself or taking public transportation. Hotel lobby was nice, rooms were decent. The only complaints I have is the coffee is horrible in the hotel restaurant & little coffee shop within the hotel. Ended up finding a Starbucks on the last day down by the Illinois State Tech Univ. The elevator was out of service for a bit on Saturday, they didn't have signs posted on each floor. The bar was ok. One bartender was a bit rude. The L26 Restaurant for dinner was good, breakfast buffet was "eh". nothing special. Bacon a bit hard, and powdered eggs. Liked the free parking. I think this hotel could be a hit or miss. We happened to hit it on a good weekend. I think we lucked out that we didn't have people on either side of us, so it was quiet. Bottom line: Decent and reasonable priced if you don't want to spend all your money in town on a hotel. Stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Dawni50,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Though I am glad you enjoyed our value we offer guests, I am disappointed to learn of your unpleasant experience with our coffee. Our food outlets are independently operated. However, we will let the proprietors know about your comments.
Okemos, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The staff at the counter were very rude and it was easier to have my husband deal with them then to be talked down to ( I just wanted to check in!) The hotel was a bit outdated but our room was very clean. Although our room was on the second floor over the bar and the music kept us up till about 3am. :(
The hotel was about two miles from Soldier Stadium and about a 10 dollar cab ride to downtown. I would definitely pay for the cab. Walking back from soldier field my husband and I saw some shady deals going down.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room by the bar or resturant.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Tk K, Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for reviewing our property. I am disturbed to hear of your experience with our front desk staff and can assure you that is not our norm. The noise pollution from the bar will be discussed with its proprietor. I apologize for the inconvenience these occurrences caused you during your visit with us and would love to invite you to visit our property again. We would love to show you how we really shine!

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!