“Hotel - free parking” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Motel   |   11 West 26th Street, and W 26th St, Chicago, IL 60616   |
Ranked #97 of 168 hotels in Chicago
“Hotel - free parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had a hire car and in Chicago for a week. So booked this for the free parking.
Our room was a decent size and we had 2 queen size beds and a seating area. Good size bath and shower above. Good pressure, lots of hot water.
We had read reviews about noise etc so asked for a quiet room on check in. We were on the west side facing car park. Yes there are trains but didn't disturb us at all.
Transport - The "El" had been out of action for 5 months at Cermak. So we were confined to buses. Lots of huffing and puffing from me but in reality the 29 bus is frequent and runs from outside and stops outside, Chicago is on a grid system, and the 1 and 4 buses run down Michicgan which is a 3 minute walk. So depending on where you are in the City, the 1 or 4 might be more convenient.
Didn't do any food or drink in the hotel. But did go to Yolk for breakfast. Went twice...yummy...you'll only need breakfast and can skip lunch.... and dinner

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel. The CTA system can seem a little confusing at first, but with a little explanation I am happy to hear it worked for you. Yolk for breakfast is indeed recommended and will leave you full for sometime! Glad to hear you had a great trip and we will see you next time!

671 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

It's a nice hotel. I just went there last weekend and well-designed, good bathroom and bed. My girlfriend and I went there and enjoyed there. This hotel is not in a bad area, it is just surrounded by buildings.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
I am happy to hear you had a wonderful experience at the hotel. I agree that the hotel is not in a bad area, rather it is an area that is not full of restaurants and shops, so you do not get the desired foot traffic. But I am glad you enjoyed youreself and look forward to greeting you on your return.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The rooms are huge! The hotel is spacious with super-friendly, efficient and helpful staff. Went out of their way to store our bags while we took a side trip. We had read that the train noise from the Loop might be a problem - didn't bother us.
At first we were concerned that it was a bit out of 'town' - as we weren't driving, but then discovered that the No.29 bus, which runs frequently, arrives and departs right outside the door and connects in 10 minutes to Chicago's (rightly) famous Loop rail system. The Loop is cheap and efficient (with a 3-day pass) and connects to absolutely everything.
Would happily recommend the South Loop to anyone.

Room Tip: Away from Loop train side if possible, but no big deal
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RDoyle76, Front Office Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you. I agree that the #29 bus will take you right downtown, is convenient and comes by the hotel regularly. I am glad to hear you had a wonderful visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Aarhus, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I don't think I have ever stayed at a place so hard to review. My travelpurpose was as a tourist for 5 days in Chicago. First of all - it was a good hotel at a decent rate. Good room, nice bed, clean etc. There were some noise from a nearby train, but I got used to that very quickly. Some rooms will probably have more noise. There's a restaurant serving a good breakfast, and then there's a bar for beer and food etc. Some won't like the bar - some will. I found it very nice, and went for "dinner" several times at the bar. But the major problem with the place is location, location, location. When you are in Chicago as a tourist most spots is in downtown, and this place is located so you have to take a bus everytime you go to or from your hotel. That's not convenient for a normal tourist. It's difficult to have a afternoon break at your hotel, and the neighbourhood of the hotel is sleazy, so that evening walk around the area to a local shop is out of the question. For me that was a major disadvantage for this in other ways nice and decent hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your survey. I am pleased to here that you did enjoy the hotel. It is true that we are not in the heart of downtown and it does require a bus or a train ride to get to the busy are of downtown Chicago. I am pleaed that you did find the hotel comfortable and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I went on a week getaway to Chicago last week. We usually pick our hotels based on reviews and found the price of this one was similar to others in town minus the $30-50 parking charge per day. This hotel is not in a bad area, it is just surrounded by buildings. Older warehouses, apartment buildings, and schools. We rode the bus everyday except the last day both day and night and never felt as if we were ever going to have any issues. A review I found said ask for a room opposite the train so I did, but trains run on both sides. They are not loud as some people mentioned. At first I thought it was the rooms AC unit kicking on and blowing as the train went by. They are subway cars so there is no loud horn or crossing sounds. I think sometimes people are a bit too picky. Our rate was $159 per night which you can find hotels downtown for that price before parking everyday, but i guarantee the rooms are not nearly as large. We had 2 queen beds, a loveseat, two chairs, coffee table, desk and fringe. The closet alone was large enough to sleep in. There are no gas stations or food places close, but a run to grab some snacks and drinks on the way into town is probably easiest until you get your bearings about you. The bus stop is about 20 steps from the front door. We rode it daily. The 29 bus takes you to Roosevelt which is where a L (subway) station is located or you can walk east a couple of blocks to get to Soldier field, Field Museum, and Shedd Aquarium. BRING A BACKPACK! Everyone in Chicago carries them and it makes carrying things around all day much easier. Almost forgot there is a Walgreens at the corner of State St and Roosevelt so you can always grab snacks before you jump on the bus to head back to the hotel too. There are many great food places that deliver. Connie's Pizza has some amazing chicken alfredo and bacon cheese fries. We are planning a trip back to this hotel with the kids in the summer. Great deal!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
It is truely great to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us at the hotel. We can not wait to welcome you back with your children in the summer. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make for a more enjoyable experience.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our family of five stayed here three nights and loved it. It was significantly cheaper than other downtown hotels, so I was worried about the accommodations, but the room was nice and spacious with two big beds and and lounge chair and loveseat and fridge. And free gated parking! We were in a corner room on the 3rd or 4th floor with a nice view of the downtown skyline, and we didn't have any problems with noise. The staff was particularly sweet and helpful about answering our foolish tourist questions. While it's right on the train line it's not actually close to any train stops, but there's a bus stop just across the street and it was easy enough to take the bus further into town. The restaurant was closed when we were there, and there wasn't much right around the hotel, but there were a few restaurants a few blocks away. Overall an excellent choice that I would gladly go back to!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel! On behalf of our entire staff here at The Chicago South Loop Hotel, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!
Sonoma, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

On one hand, this is the best deal anywhere close to the McCormick Center. On the other, it exudes "low budget" hotel. I don't mind cutting corners to keep the rooms affordable, but their staff was questionable. The rooms were very large, with surprisingly spacey refrigerators (which was great because I was there on extended stay and could keep all my groceries/leftovers to cut down on food costs) but the hotel management was awful. When we went to check out, they tried to scam us hundreds of dollars, swearing that they could do nothing about the increased rates until we pulled out our printed receipt from booking online. Then they suddenly could magically reduce the rate. But it took way longer than anticipated to check out and--by the time they corrected THEIR mistake and called us a taxi to head back to the Midway airport--we almost missed our flight.

Other than that, I'd say it was worth the savings (about 25% cheaper than the Hyatt). But I'd rather stay couchsurf than be confronted with rude management. Take away lesson: ALWAYS print out your online estimate/receipt, no matter where you stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the western side of the building are further from the trains.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your survey. I am happy you enjoyed yourself at the hotel, but would like to apologize for your negative departure. I can assure you that the hotel is never trying to be dishonest in any of its actions and please let us know if you ever find different.

The Chicago South Loop Hotel is committed to providing our guest with excellent customer service and accommodations to match. We apologize if we fell short in any of these areas.

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!