“Great Hotel, HUGE rooms & Baths, MUST STAY” 5 of 5 stars

Chicago South Loop Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   11 West 26th Street, and W 26th St, Chicago, IL 60616   |
Ranked #106 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Greenwood, Indiana
“Great Hotel, HUGE rooms & Baths, MUST STAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I went on a week getaway to Chicago last week. We usually pick our hotels based on reviews and found the price of this one was similar to others in town minus the $30-50 parking charge per day. This hotel is not in a bad area, it is just surrounded by buildings. Older warehouses, apartment buildings, and schools. We rode the bus everyday except the last day both day and night and never felt as if we were ever going to have any issues. A review I found said ask for a room opposite the train so I did, but trains run on both sides. They are not loud as some people mentioned. At first I thought it was the rooms AC unit kicking on and blowing as the train went by. They are subway cars so there is no loud horn or crossing sounds. I think sometimes people are a bit too picky. Our rate was $159 per night which you can find hotels downtown for that price before parking everyday, but i guarantee the rooms are not nearly as large. We had 2 queen beds, a loveseat, two chairs, coffee table, desk and fringe. The closet alone was large enough to sleep in. There are no gas stations or food places close, but a run to grab some snacks and drinks on the way into town is probably easiest until you get your bearings about you. The bus stop is about 20 steps from the front door. We rode it daily. The 29 bus takes you to Roosevelt which is where a L (subway) station is located or you can walk east a couple of blocks to get to Soldier field, Field Museum, and Shedd Aquarium. BRING A BACKPACK! Everyone in Chicago carries them and it makes carrying things around all day much easier. Almost forgot there is a Walgreens at the corner of State St and Roosevelt so you can always grab snacks before you jump on the bus to head back to the hotel too. There are many great food places that deliver. Connie's Pizza has some amazing chicken alfredo and bacon cheese fries. We are planning a trip back to this hotel with the kids in the summer. Great deal!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
It is truely great to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us at the hotel. We can not wait to welcome you back with your children in the summer. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make for a more enjoyable experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our family of five stayed here three nights and loved it. It was significantly cheaper than other downtown hotels, so I was worried about the accommodations, but the room was nice and spacious with two big beds and and lounge chair and loveseat and fridge. And free gated parking! We were in a corner room on the 3rd or 4th floor with a nice view of the downtown skyline, and we didn't have any problems with noise. The staff was particularly sweet and helpful about answering our foolish tourist questions. While it's right on the train line it's not actually close to any train stops, but there's a bus stop just across the street and it was easy enough to take the bus further into town. The restaurant was closed when we were there, and there wasn't much right around the hotel, but there were a few restaurants a few blocks away. Overall an excellent choice that I would gladly go back to!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel! On behalf of our entire staff here at The Chicago South Loop Hotel, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!
Sonoma, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

On one hand, this is the best deal anywhere close to the McCormick Center. On the other, it exudes "low budget" hotel. I don't mind cutting corners to keep the rooms affordable, but their staff was questionable. The rooms were very large, with surprisingly spacey refrigerators (which was great because I was there on extended stay and could keep all my groceries/leftovers to cut down on food costs) but the hotel management was awful. When we went to check out, they tried to scam us hundreds of dollars, swearing that they could do nothing about the increased rates until we pulled out our printed receipt from booking online. Then they suddenly could magically reduce the rate. But it took way longer than anticipated to check out and--by the time they corrected THEIR mistake and called us a taxi to head back to the Midway airport--we almost missed our flight.

Other than that, I'd say it was worth the savings (about 25% cheaper than the Hyatt). But I'd rather stay couchsurf than be confronted with rude management. Take away lesson: ALWAYS print out your online estimate/receipt, no matter where you stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the western side of the building are further from the trains.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your survey. I am happy you enjoyed yourself at the hotel, but would like to apologize for your negative departure. I can assure you that the hotel is never trying to be dishonest in any of its actions and please let us know if you ever find different.

The Chicago South Loop Hotel is committed to providing our guest with excellent customer service and accommodations to match. We apologize if we fell short in any of these areas.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

So.. I have learned recently I have become quite picky with hotel selections and received this hotel due to work related business.
It earns one extra star for being local to McCormick Place. The extra star includes that there always seem to be a taxi at this hotel always ready to pick you up to go anywhere in Chicago at anytime day or night.

It was very convenient for me work wise at McCormick Place. It is pretty basic otherwise. Average hotel.
Free Internet
Free Parking
Breakfast Buffet was roughly $16.99 but it was a decent breakfast. Can not complain.
The room size was good. Bed was comfy no issues. Bathroom was big enough.
Yes there was the train near by so you can hear the noise (some folks complained) but for me-- I could care less. I was tired and when I went to sleep I heard nothing. Another plus was they have a salon there and fitness center. The staff was pretty nice.

The only true negatives for this hotel was-- apparently every single taxi driver on my way from the airport to hotel - to each ride I took everyday to/from McCormick, whether in town or whatever ALL told me the same thing. DO NOT WALK ANYWHERE over here at night. So first time ever I took their advise and took a cab everywhere. China town nearby but so is South Side of Chicago and sadly its pretty rough over there. I walked no where. So if the locals say it so many times-- just listen to them.

Also-- NOTHING in site of this place in walking distance. No other coffee shops, restaurants (besides one at hotel) , no CVS, no nothing sooooooo you have no choice but to take a cab everywhere unless you drove.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your survey. I am glad to hear you had no issues with the hotel. I find the hotel area to be safe, but can understand how people can find it intimidating. However, I have learned that cab drivers do tell people this area is unsafe so that you will use more of their cab services.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Trip was based around Lollapalooza. Friend picked out hotel based on location and price. We assumed we would be taking the L into downtown for the show daily however upon arriving we realized that the closest stop to the hotel was under construction. Thankfully there was a bus stop right outside the hotel. No stores or anything near the hotel for snacks besides the store in the lobby which had the strangest hours and was insanely overpriced. That being said it was a decent place to rest my head at night and to shower off the shows grime.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your survey. I am glad to hear that you had an adequate stay with us, but hope on the return to make it exceptional. Thanks!
London, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel could be better rated if located in a better area There's no corner stores or coffee shops near by to walk to, you'll need to drive a bit for your needs. Nor do you want to walk around in the area this hotel's located, it's a bit dangerous I felt - no offence but the location of this hotel could be the reason why majority of this hotel staff are black. Oh the trains, this hotel is located between 2 different train lines that are operated 24/7 - if you need a good night sleep, well you're not getting it in this hotel. The older black receptionist/service lady will give you an attitude if you ask for something/anything, I don't think she's suited for customer service jobs. Oh well. Thanks for the really horrible coffee South Loop Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can't hear the trains.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I am sorry to hear you had a negative experience at the hotel. We thank you for your opinion and hope to see you on your return to the city.
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We really appreciated the reasonable price which included parking. The breakfast buffet was overpriced and there weren't other options since there's nothing much around the hotel. The area is a bit sketchy but we didn't have any issues during our stay. We used the nearby bus to travel downtown and also walked to and from Chinatown, once in the evening with a group and once during the day. After we checked out, we were able to keep our car in the free lot til 4 o'clock and were also allowed to use the microwave in the business center to reheat our leftovers before we got on the road. Much appreciated! I think if we return in another year or two, the area will have changed much for the better. I downgraded the room based on numerous carpet stains and curtains that didn't draw properly but the king room we had was HUGE and the bathroom very nice. I liked the "green" body wash and shampoo dispensers in the shower vs. the usual throw-away small soaps and shampoos.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you. The complimentary parking in Chicago is a big deal and I also agree that the transportation downtown is convenient. Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you on your return to the city.

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!