“Visitor from Ann Arbor” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Visitor from Ann Arbor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very good hotel for a family vacation. Clean, wide rooms, free parking, close to China town and close to the bus stop which can take you directly to downtown on state street. It is not a five star hotel but it is very comfortable, no much noises at night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Glad to hear you found everything comfortable and found the location convient. I hope to see you on your return!

670 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked this hotel on Hotwire at a decent price. We were looking for a hotel close to the city center with free parking- we like to drive up park and roam the city by foot. This hotel made that possible for us. Nice gated parking area, first come first serve, but as we parked and didn't need reentry this was not an issue for us. We were in town for a Bears game and this saved the parking cost at the game plus the crowds on the trains, a bit of a walk for most but fine for us. The hotel itself was a little further from the city center than I would have liked but the train is right there also as an option. Staff was great easy check-in even early. Room and beds were huge, clean, and comfortable. Add in the free wifi, fridge and windows that opened a bit we were really pleased and had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I am really happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable experince with us. I am also happy to hear that you found parking easy and convenient. Hope to see you on your next visit to the city. Bear Down!!
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had a great time, and very relaxing stay.

A big surprise on Monday after we came back to the room to find a card, chocolates, and a balloon on the table for Amy's birthday etc. Then the bottle of Pepsi Next on the nightstand Thursday evening! Both were very above and beyond acts.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy Birthday! I am glad you had a great Birthday expereince and we hope to see you back to the hotel shortly.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. I was almost a little nervous about the cleanliness of this hotel. I was instantly relieved to see that this place was very clean and beautifully decorated. The staff here are polite and very hospitable I will be staying here every time I go to Chicago Definitely!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you so much. Can't wait to see you upon your return!!
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and must say we were pretty happy with our experience.
On the plus side: the room was massive which was great since we were travelling for three weeks with a toddler. The beds were new and so comfortable so we slept really well. Free parking so close to downtown was a bonus and on arrival we didnt have a problem getting a park however did seem like competition for a park stepped up later in the weekend. It was pretty easy to catch the #29 bus to downtown, otherwise its about a half hour walk to the red line train.
On the negative side: the staff werent exactly friendly but did an okay job. The train goes pretty close to the hotel (no stations though) so we did get some noise but not enough to keep us awake. There was only one option for breakfast and it was pretty poor....relatively expensive, not great quality and served by a very disinterested waitress who hadnt bothered to clear dirty dishes off the vacated tables around us. Also couldnt charge breakfast to the room because even though its located in the hotel building it is not associated with the hotel. There didnt seem to be any other food options nearby. The hotel is also some distance from all the action. Even though its easy to catch the bus, the area around the hotel is a bit of an urban wasteland and I wouldnt consider it safe to walk around at night and there are few amenities.

We would stay here again because of the price, the parking, the size of the room and the comfort of the beds.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am happy to hear you had an "okay" experience. Next visit we will ensure an excellent one. Please come see anyone at the desk for some great eating ideas. See you soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I can truly say this has to be the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. The entire room was filthy from the huge stains on the carpet to the dirty drapes. I will admit I am very, very picky about where I stay when out of town. I always check reviews, bed bug registry, etc. however I can truly say the reviews were very misleading. I am really not sure how this hotel is ranked more than a 1 for anything. In addition to the filthy room, we were located right by the train and we heard trains all night. Needless to say I've had very little rest. And to top everything off the noise and the filth, someone who stated that they were an employee called the room at 3:30 am stating that we need to come down and make a payment because it was showing that we should have been checked out. Come on now, that didn't sound right at all. Of course we didn't go and I simply told him that whatever it was it would have to wait until the morning. This is the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, I don't care how inexpensive it is. Remember you get what you pay for. My advice would be if other downtown hotels are too expensive find a nice hotel outside the city. This may require a short drive to the city but at least you can have better accommodations for the price you would be paying for this isolated dump. Please be aware there is nothing in close proximity of the hotels besides industrial buildings.

• Stayed September 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. Please allow me the opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you had while experiencing our hotel. The Chicago South Loop Hotel is committed to providing our guest with excellent customer service and accommodations to match. We apologize if we fell short in any of these areas.
unknown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Chicago is the place to have a great time and meet great people. People from the C are very kind people. And will always return to shop till I drop. Don't forget the nice restaurant's and the cheese cake factory. that you will be guaranteed to walk off.

• Stayed August 2013
Glad to hear you had a great time in the city. On behalf of our entire staff here at The Chicago South Loop Hotel, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the city!

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!