“Odd hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Des Moines, Iowa
“Odd hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Went to Chicago for a short trip. Got this hotel via Hotwire. Thought I got a deal, but it seems like most people get the hotel this way for a similar price, which isn't really all that much lower than their normal price. Normally stay in the downtown area but chose this one due to the lower price. Big mistake. Won't do that again. I don't believe this should be a 3 star hotel. Get better service and amenities at a 2.5 star hotel. Having read many of the other reviews here, I'd say they are almost all spot on - both the good and the bad. The lobby is nice. The elevators are in odd locations and seem like they are in service hallways or are service elevators. The staff was average at best. The rooms were nice, but lacked character. The in room fridge was nice. The beds were extremeley comfortable. Had a great night's sleep. No room service is available, but you can order food from Sarpino's, which is nearby, until 5am. The free parking, which was a major selling point for us, was a joke. Not nearly enough spaces for the number of rooms they have. You're lucky if you get one. Nothing to do or see in the immediate area. Can catch a bus into downtown right on the corner and connect with the L from there. I asked the front desk lady about walking to Roosevelt station. She said "Well, we're on 26th st and Rosevelt is on 12th St." with a tone that I couldn't determine if she was just informing me of the distance or she was implying I should know something about the safety of the neighborhoods between the two. I rephrased and asked if she would walk it. She said yes, she does. So, we did walk the 1-1.5 miles. It was an OK walk and once you get a few blocks from the hotel the area looks nicer and feels safe. But as others have said, I wouldn't do it at night. We took the bus on our way back. A plus was that the Walgreens by Roosevelt station sells 1 day or 3 day CTA passes, which are a good deal. All in all, the hassle factor and amenities are such that I would not consider staying there again no matter what the price. Just not worth it to me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your survey. I am sorry that you did not enjoy yourself more while at the hotel. The Chicago South Loop Hotel is committed to providing our guest with excellent customer service and accommodations to match. We apologize if we fell short in any of these areas.

682 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was my third stay at this hotel since they have opened. Each time I visit Chicago I try and book this hotel. My last stay was through Hotwire andI could only secure it for one day. Upon my arrival around 11:30 a.m. I requested to check in. The front desk clerk informed that there wasn't a room prepared yet but offered to allow us to leave our bags so we could begin our tour which was scheduled 90 minutes later. I explained I wanted to stay an additional night but was told they were sold out. I pleaded that if there were any cancelations to call me. The next day when I was checking out she told me that was unecessary because she found me a room. The location offers FREE parking and is also on the State Street bus line. The rooms were large and clean. This hotel is a gem in Chicago.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
So happy to hear you enjoyed yourself and pleased to hear that we were able to extend your reservation on such a busy few days!
Elkhorn, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Would give this a 3-star rating for mediocrity, but since it was slightly better than I expected, I am going with 4 stars. Parking was very convenient with adjacent free lot, rooms spacious and clean. Request a room away from the train tracks.

Half a block south is not a good area. Had to use caution walking back after the White Sox game - so if you're going to do some sightseeing, go north or take a taxi to downtown.

Nice greeter at the door, and pretty nice lady at the desk as well. One elevator was out of order - inconvenient. Staircases not clearly marked and tucked back, hard to find. Otherwise a decent stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, but wish you had a more enjoyable experience. My apologies regarding the elevator being out of order. I hope to see you back, so we can show you what a hotel experience look like.
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have been to the South Loop Hotel on three differnt occasions. It may seem a bit pricy at first glance, but look again: free parking in a high security gated area surounded by the hotel itself (elsewhere it runs around $30 a night), free wifi (elsewhere it can run $10 a night). Great staff! Josephine at the front desk is a real jewel. She is always upbeat and friendly. She goes out of her way to make you feel at home and get settled quickly. One of the best features of this hotel are the beds. I have never been in a more comfortable bed in my life. I get a better night's sleep at the South Loop Hotel than I get at home!
The hotel is not far from downtown. My wife and I walked to Soldier Field to see Lionel Messi and his friends play soccer over the weekend. It was a great 20 minute walk. Downtown is five minutes away by car.

Room Tip: For a bit more money, get one of the corner rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am pleased to hear that you appreciated the complimentary amenities; those items can add up fast! Thank you and hope to see you soon!
San Marcos, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Excellent stay with view of downtown. Luxurious bathtub, nice bed, great workspace, and comfortable room. Train noise and sirens were comparable to what I experience at home, so it was home away from home. Great cab service, airport shuttle, and CTA bus route for transportation. The hotel has a great business center and excellent staff. It's great if you are staying a week because the hotel provides body wash and shampoo, as well as lotion. Avoid the hassle at the airport. Can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Your experience is my hope with every guest! On behalf of our entire staff here at The Chicago South Loop Hotel, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
Great location for conferences/conventions at mccormick place
Great price on hotwire listed as "Chicago south loop mccormick place"
Free parking
Free wifi
Train station nearby
Excellent service very quick and made sure we had everything we needed
Fitness room
Best shower-with jacuzzi tub and built in soap
Great towels
Soft beds
Big rooms
Flat screen tv
Fridge
Great pillows

Cons:
Bad area in my opinion
Some furniture outdated
Not a modern or luxury looking room
Mirrors on closet doors
Toliet room not separate
Full price is $150
One elevator was out of order at the time

Overall I would stay here again if I got ot on hotwire again, but I wouldn't pay full price for this. Great for business travelers.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your survey. Guest feedback is one of the best ways to gauge our performance and I would like to thank you for your willingness to share.
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at the Chicago South Loop Hotel for a weekend. We got there early, after an 8 hour drive from Toronto. Our room was ready at noon, which was fantastic. The front desk staff were wonderful. The hotel is is nice and clean, the king size room was great, parking and internet were free. The hotel is located close to downtown and near to the lake. Overall we had a great time and would recommend it for a place to stay while in the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much. We can't wait to welcome you back!

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!