“Near McCormick Place and on great CTA route!” 4 of 5 stars

Chicago South Loop Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   11 West 26th Street, and W 26th St, Chicago, IL 60616   |
Ranked #98 of 168 hotels in Chicago
San Marcos, Texas
“Near McCormick Place and on great CTA route!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Excellent stay with view of downtown. Luxurious bathtub, nice bed, great workspace, and comfortable room. Train noise and sirens were comparable to what I experience at home, so it was home away from home. Great cab service, airport shuttle, and CTA bus route for transportation. The hotel has a great business center and excellent staff. It's great if you are staying a week because the hotel provides body wash and shampoo, as well as lotion. Avoid the hassle at the airport. Can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Your experience is my hope with every guest! On behalf of our entire staff here at The Chicago South Loop Hotel, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area.

672 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
Great location for conferences/conventions at mccormick place
Great price on hotwire listed as "Chicago south loop mccormick place"
Free parking
Free wifi
Train station nearby
Excellent service very quick and made sure we had everything we needed
Fitness room
Best shower-with jacuzzi tub and built in soap
Great towels
Soft beds
Big rooms
Flat screen tv
Fridge
Great pillows

Cons:
Bad area in my opinion
Some furniture outdated
Not a modern or luxury looking room
Mirrors on closet doors
Toliet room not separate
Full price is $150
One elevator was out of order at the time

Overall I would stay here again if I got ot on hotwire again, but I wouldn't pay full price for this. Great for business travelers.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your survey. Guest feedback is one of the best ways to gauge our performance and I would like to thank you for your willingness to share.
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at the Chicago South Loop Hotel for a weekend. We got there early, after an 8 hour drive from Toronto. Our room was ready at noon, which was fantastic. The front desk staff were wonderful. The hotel is is nice and clean, the king size room was great, parking and internet were free. The hotel is located close to downtown and near to the lake. Overall we had a great time and would recommend it for a place to stay while in the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much. We can't wait to welcome you back!
Whangarei, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

For me this hotel would not be a preference again for a few reasons but my number one issue was location. To be honest I obtained this booking from one of the mystery until we have your credit card locked in sites. The area is supposed to be the McCormick Place but that is a bit of a stretch. I planned on using mass transit as I always do in Chicago. There are no metro stops near the hotel. It is somewhat isolated and is obviously an area that becomes unsafe after dark. Taxis would be the only answer after dark.
Buffet breakfast was pricey for overcooked food with limited choices.The lady who served as hostess/waitress for my late weekday buffet breakfast was soft spoken professional and attentive. She was profoundly customer care oriented which was a surprise given the actions of some of the other staff.
A chair in room began as a light color so was quite dirty and stained causing me to look closer at the room cleanliness. The room cleanliness is more along the Motel 6 rather than a normal mid priced Chicago hotel.
My door key would work for approximately one day after which I would find myself fatigued at the end of the day trapped outside of my room and nervous about the male guess lolling about the hallway. One desk clerk admitted the keys were a problem. On one occasion I asked an older female morning staff member if they had considered checking out the door sensors she sadly displayed an unpleasant stereo type personality. Her take on the situation is that it is the guests fault due to where we were placing out keys in wallets or purses. Rather than meeting her in her bad mood I quietly related a story of the same issue occurring only once before (I travel quite a bit.)at a Hyatt Regency in Sarasota where they promptly checked the door sensor. The staff member then admitted that sometimes it is an issue with the battery on the door. Why why why would any staff member blame a guest for something that could easily be a hotel problem?
My credit card was requested when I arrived and no bill was placed under my door in the early morning on checkout day. Naturally upon leaving I made an attempt to checkout. Again yet another older lady who I can only imagine had so far had a bad day informed me that I did not need a checkout (I had pre-paid via the booking site) since Im had prepaid. She reluctantly handed me a copy after I again asked her for a copy because I wanted to make sure the balance to my credit card would be zero. I personally won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Away from the main street is reported to be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your survey and comments. I would like to apologize about the negative experience you encountered and can assure you your comments will not be unnoticed.
York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was recently in Chicago for a convention at McCormick Place. I chose this hotel because of the close proximity and fairly reasonable cost. It was about a third of the price of other hotels in Chicago.

The hotel location is off the beaten path. There are no stores or restaurants close by. I wouldn't classify the area as unsafe, just not a lot of people around.

There is not close L service but the 29 bus does stop at the corner of the hotel which will take you to downtown Chicago and Navy Pier. The bus between downtown and the hotel is local residents. I didn't feel unsafe but didn't feel exactly like I fit in. If you really stick out like a tourist, you may want to avoid the bus.

The walk to McCormick place is about 20 minutes but McCormick place is huge so it depends exactly where you are going. I am not sure I would make the walk at night. Again, I didn't feel unsafe, but the area only has locals and is off the beaten path of the typical tourist. There is a McDonald's near McCormick Place which is the closest restaurant I saw.

Overall the hotel itself was really nice and average. It is typical of what you would see with a Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express. My room was huge! The bed and pillows were really comfortable. The bathtub was large and as a larger man was actually able to take a bath. There was a in room refrigerator. There was a microwave for resident use in the business center. The only downside to the room was there was a spot on the rug.

The only dining I did at the restaurant was at the bar which was OK, nothing spectacular.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again in the future. The downside of not having a lot of nearby may be changing if the area becomes more developed. There are some cons but for the price, you umay be able to overlook these.

Room Tip: You do hear the L trains so request a room as far away from State Street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. On your return we will turn that nice stay into a fantastic experience. Hope to see you soon!
Park Ridge, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel is clean but sparse and gives off a "not finished" vibe. The most important thing to know is that right now the closest L station is closed and the hotel is far from everything. A cab ride downtown was $12.00.

Cream for in room coffee was not available. There were no tea bags in the rooms. The staff was friendly and polite in any interactions so far. The bed was comfy and the air conditioning worked perfectly. Better in room amenities and a coffee shop that stays open late would be huge improvements. There are no pharmacies, markets, or convenience stores in walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room with the most comfortable bed.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your survey. We are committed to providing our guest with excellent customer service and accommodations to match. I am sorry you did not enjoy yourself more at our hotel.
Crystal Lake, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I attended a three-day convention at McCormick Place, and was looking for a good value nearby, ideally within 15-minute walking distance. This hotel sufficed, and I would stay there again. The room proved to be clean and quiet, the bed was comfortable, and the air conditioner did its job—all the important things. On top of that, the hotel staff were pleasant and helpful, and the lobby and building exterior had a welcoming feel. That having been said, those websites that are scoring this as a three-star hotel may be stretching it a bit. I'd score the exterior 3-star, the lobby 2.5-star, and the room 1.5- to 2-star with a 3-star bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your survey. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, but look forward to changing your perception of the hotel for adequate to excellent.

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!