“Glad we stayed.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Louisville, KY
“Glad we stayed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was a very nice hotel, that I got off Hotwire.com. Came to town to watch the Cubs play, this was a very good price. I noticed many reviews concerned about the "seedy" area of town; we had planned to walk from the train, but the Red Line was under construction and had walk from the Bronzeville/IIT stop instead of Cermak/Chinatown and we walked several blocks to the hotel from our unplanned "L" stop around 10pm and nothing seemed dangerous or seedy, walked past a college and some apartments, all very normal. All the staff was super friendly, especially the bellman the day we checked out. The hotel seemed quite busy for a Tuesday (probably a good thing) and it was late so we got a handicapped room at check in and didn't get to experience a "regular" room, but the one we had was VERY nice. The comfortable beds slept very well. It is a little ways from the stuff downtown, but a cab was just $10 or $12 AND, since there was no Red Line, we taught ourselves to ride the bus! I would recommend it and definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Go Cubs!

679 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Peekskill, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

After traveling seven hours and arriving at the hotel at 2 a.m. on June 12, I was delayed in checking in by the front desk clerk. My company had reserved two rooms but neglected to put my name on one of the rooms. The clerk refused to check me in and insisted that I provide him with a faxed notice from my boss that would authorize my use of one of the rooms, a preposterous condition at that hour of the morning. The clerk was disinterested in helping me resolve this and said there were no other rooms available at the hotel that night. We ended up calling my boss who was staying in the other room at the hotel, waking the executive up from a sound sleep, to clear my check-in. The experience reflected very poorly on the hotel. I won't return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I am so sorry about the negative experience that you encountered upon check-in. Although the agent was following company policy, I do apologize for the inconvenience it caused
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a perfectly nice hotel. It's not distinguished in any significant way from other three-star sorts of hotels except:

1. it's a half mile from the McCormick Place Convention Center (a cab is $7-8) with free parking and
2. you can get discounted rooms there at a third the price of the Hyatt Regency at McCormick.

It's not huge - five stories but a couple hundred rooms - so I'd try booking as far in advance as you conveniently can. I've stayed there before, chose it again for this trip and will try for it again next year.

That said:

1. food in the immediate area is pretty scarce - it's in a 'light industrial and vacant lots' sort of area. It's not at all hard to get to downtown from the hotel (another $8-9 for a cab or a straight shot up Michigan Avenue) so it's not exactly like you're in a gulag.
2. I was not impressed by the service at the in-house restaurant in 2012 and did not try it this year.
3. There's a huge tub but not enough water pressure.
4. The pillows were flat. I sleep on my side, so it took a fair amount of fiddling and fluffing to get the durned things comfortable.

It's not the sort of hotel that you lounge around in but it's a great base for budget-conscious conference goers.

Room Tip: Demand a roof on the far side from the elevated train line. That sucker runs almost all night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your survey. The hotel is conviently located next to McCormick place and just a short trip downtown. I am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and we look forward to seeing you next year.
Long Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I'm in Chicago often and have always stayed well further north, but I had an appointment south so I decided to try this place out. Bad idea. This hotel is in an industrial-type area. There are NO restaruants or amenities within a walk, and if you do venture out on foot, better do it early in the day. Although there is NOT an El train stop near, the train does roar by often, sometimes a minute apart, and it's pretty loud. The room was a bit austere (with a badly stained chair that should be thrown out), but on par with an airport hotel. The lobby was clean enough and the staff pretty friendly, but I would skip this one. If you have business in Chinatown or McCormick Place and need to stay close by, add a circle to the rating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your survey. I am sorry to hear that your experience with us was not a positive one. Your comments and concerns were not unnoticed and will be addressed.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

You get what you pay for at this hotel, however, if your budget allows it and you are attending a convention at McCormick Place, book early and stay at the Hyatt across the street from the convention center.
Pros:
-Very close to McCormick Place, five minutes by Taxi, if you have a problem getting a taxi and don't want to wait too long, you can walk it (however it's not a short walk). I don't recommend it at night.
-Wifi with good signal, throughout the hotel and in room.
-Refrigerator in room
-Comfortable Bed
-Free parking if you have a car with you.
-Good service at front desk.
Cons:
-Discusting stains on carpet, chairs, needs some good cleaning.
-Everything appears to be worn out.
-Towels are very old, they have lost their white color. Had to request more towels to get better ones, still old, but better than previous ones.
-Lights on bed stands on both sides were not working
-My associate who was staying in another room found hair in the bed, so most likely it was not cleaned since the last occupant.
-Very bland rooms with no decor on walls, looks like a cheap motel room. The bed did not even have a bedskirt, the mattress was visible. The drapes were so cheap, you had to be careful not to rip it as you tried closing it.
-It's close to the train, so if you are a light sleeper, you may have an issue with the train passing by every so often.
This hotel was selected by the company I work for, if it was up to me, I would not select this hotel. If this hotel was not near the convention center I don't think it would get that many guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your survey. The Chicago South Loop Hotel is committed to providing our guest with excellent customer service and accommodations to match. We apologize if we fell short in any of these areas.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was ok. I went there on a business trip whilst at a congress at McCormick place. Hotel was reasonably located for congress center (10 minutes on shuttle bus so fine if the congress center is running a shuttle). This hotel is not near downtown Chicago though, and there are very few shops and restaurants nearby. A cab to downtown cost around $20.

The room was average- quite large but dated, with poor lighting. My shower tray didn't have sides so water ran all over the bathroom when I used the shower. I think this problem was unique to my room though, as my colleagues said theirs were fine.

Of major concern is that the housekeeping staff left my door open one day, meaning anyone could push it and go in my room! Nothing was stolen, and the front desk staff assured me the issue would be addressed with the housekeeping manager.

On the positive side, this hotel had good free wifi throughout and the front desk staff were friendly. Rooms were large and beds comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking your time to fill out a survey. I would like to apologize for the negative experiences you encountered with the hotel. I am glad it was handled appropriately by the front desk, but apologize for the inconvenience.
Shakopee, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We booked using hotwire, so we didn't know the name of the hotel until after we paid. We were from out of town and didn't know much about the area but were really happy that we ended up here. What appealed most to us was the free parking in the HUGE lot, and free wifi. The entire hotel looks really modern and clean. The rooms are very spacious and immaculate, and we were in a room where the only noise we heard was an occasional train coming by. The hotel is very near bus stops and train stops which help a lot. Other than that, there's not really much to see or do in the neighborhood surrounding the hotel. It's about a 15 minute walk to Chinatown through some shady spots, and lots of abandoned buildings, about a 10 minute bus ride (#29 or #4) for $2.25 to the hot part of State Street and Michigan Ave. Being off the beaten path has its pros and cons.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your survey. I agree that this hotel has a lot to offer and is not hard to get anywhere using the CTA.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!