This is a perfectly nice hotel. It's not distinguished in any significant way from other three-star sorts of hotels except:
1. it's a half mile from the McCormick Place Convention Center (a cab is $7-8) with free parking and
2. you can get discounted rooms there at a third the price of the Hyatt Regency at McCormick.
It's not huge - five stories but a couple hundred rooms - so I'd try booking as far in advance as you conveniently can. I've stayed there before, chose it again for this trip and will try for it again next year.
1. food in the immediate area is pretty scarce - it's in a 'light industrial and vacant lots' sort of area. It's not at all hard to get to downtown from the hotel (another $8-9 for a cab or a straight shot up Michigan Avenue) so it's not exactly like you're in a gulag.
2. I was not impressed by the service at the in-house restaurant in 2012 and did not try it this year.
3. There's a huge tub but not enough water pressure.
4. The pillows were flat. I sleep on my side, so it took a fair amount of fiddling and fluffing to get the durned things comfortable.
It's not the sort of hotel that you lounge around in but it's a great base for budget-conscious conference goers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chicago South Loop Hotel is the second closest hotel to McCormick Place Convention Center. It is located within the Chicago Museum District, Chinatown and Bronzeville neighborhood. The hotel is located 4 miles south of Chicago's City Center, 9 miles east of Chicago Midway Airport, and 22 miles Southwest of O'Hare International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Chicago South Loop Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.