“Great property” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Norfolk, Va
“Great property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We've stayed here many times. Spacious rooms. Easy access. Free self-parking. Pleasant staff. No-fee Internet access. Fridge in room. Comfy beds. Yes, there is not a lot within walking distance, but public transit is so easy that it doesn't matter to me. I will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you so much. We try everyday to make guest feel this way. I will be passing this on to the rest of the team and hope to see you on your return!

673 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here for a convention (C2E2) that was being held at McCormick. The hotel itself was very nice. I was surprised at the space in the room! I was there with two friends and there was plenty of space for all our bags and stuff. If you're going to a convention, you know how valuable room space can be. The rooms were clean as well. The tub in the bathroom was huge!

The hotel does offer free parking but if you're there during the weekend, I wouldn't move your car. We went out for dinner Saturday night and when we returned both lots were full and there was no street parking available. A space did free up after driving around the block a few times. The kicker was the car that was parked in the hotel lot wasn't a hotel guest! They had walked from somewhere.

As far as the walk to the convention center, it was fine. It was better than having to pay for parking at an expensive lot or parking garage. If you're looking for a place close to the center without having to shell out a ton of money, be sure to check this place out.

As far as staff goes, everyone I encountered were extremely nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your survey. The hotel rooms we have here are quite large. As far as parking I would like to apologize. It seems that everyone coming in that weekend decided to drive. Can't wait for C2E2 returns so I can see more great costumes!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed here for one night a couple of weeks ago and thought it was quite easy to get to (right on State St.). The location isn't wonderful as far as having a lot to do within an easy walking distance, however, the hotel itself is nice and served its purpose! The rooms are big and clean and the staff was helpful. Price was affordable and even though the location isn't great for walking to attractions (although, we DID walk to Chinatown!), it is easy to get closer to downtown via the 29 bus.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you. You are correct that you do have some easy transportation options to the heart of downtown. I also do enjoy the walk through Chinatown. We hope to see you on your return to the city!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Pros: The rooms were very spacious and the beds were very comfortable. There was free parking - one parking lot had key only access. The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. Very economical. I would definitely return for a weekday only trip.

Cons:
1. Security, as it regards to the club/bar attached to the hotel. I was flagged down by a group of people to open the locked door between the hotel and the club/bar. I ducked my head into the nearby boutique to ask if it was okay (it's locked for a reason...). Somehow the group got in and one of the group said some insulting, yet stupid things because we didn't open the door when first asked. He was very confrontational, and probably had no qualms about getting in a lady's face. I feel that if there was security at that door, I wouldn't, as a guest, have to make a security decision.
2. Cafe. I believe that my group wasn't the only group in the hotel. The cafe wasn't adequately staffed for the amount of people in the hotel. It took a half hour to get an order of hash browns. Other people's simple orders took that long also.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, away from the club.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your survey. I would like to apologize for the experiences you encountered, but can assure that your comments were not unnoticed and will be addressed. Hope to see you back soon!
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

It was an easy check-in as was the rest of the stay. The room was nice and large. Many pillows so did not have to ask for more as is usually the case. The room was clean. Only drawback was no microwave in the room but there is one in the business center. Many PCs in the business center and a nice printer. Forgot to print a few things for work and used the business center to get the items printed. It was so nice that there was no additional cost for printing.

I agree with other reviews about not walking around after dark. I walked to my conference at McCormick place with ease. I did notice on my way out of town that the hotel is close to the White Sox field. Probably within walking distance for a day game.

Would get a 5 if there was a microwave in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and you don't hear anything.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your survey and honest review. You are right that we are right down the street from US Cellular Field; about a 20 minute walk or a 5 minute cab ride. Hope to see you make it back for a game....GO SOX!!
Lansing, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We planned a weekend trip to visit the Navy Pier, Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry. This nice, out of the way hotel was clean, had brand new mattresses : ), lots of morning coffee from the pleasant hotel cleaning staff and fit our family needs perfectly. Our room key admitted us to the gated parking that was FREE, the staff was cheerful, courteous and helpful, and our stay was great. The desk receptionist, noticing we were three adults with a 5 year old in tow, quickly upgraded our room to add a sitting area and provided coloring pages and crayons for the little one's entertainment. She also remembered the 5 yr old and greeted her personally every time we left and returned to the hotel. And best of all, there was a Chicago road crew working in the street outside which provided endless entertainment for the little one watching the big "Scoop" (backhoe). Even with the windows open we could barely hear the "L" train. The lady in the gift shop was kind. This was just a super stay. We will definitely stay here on our next Chicago visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
WOW! I am so happy to hear that you had such a great experience. This is exactly what we are trying to make happen for all our guest. Thank you so much for your kind words and sharing your experience.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I attended a convention at McCormick Center, and didn't want to pay the price of the Hyatt next to McCormick. The Chicago South Loop Hotel proved to be ideal for my needs. First, it has a 24-hour business center and wireless internet in the guest rooms. The rooms themselves are quite clean and roomy (I was in a king bed room), with refrigerator and a coffee machine. And since the hotel is only a 10-minute walk from the McCormick Center and there is Free Parking (!) at this hotel, I could save a lot on parking fees. If you wish to go uptown, the bus stop is right across the street from the hotel.
I thought the area on the southside could be risky, but this part has been gentrified - there are nice residential town houses and a hospital on the way over to McCormick Center, so it has a reasonably safe feel.
I definitely will stay at the Chicago South Loop Hotel on my next visit to Chicago.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate your kind words. Everything you said is true; and free parking is a huge plus in Chicago. I am pleased to hear you had a great experience and hope to see you soon!

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!