“Best value in chicago” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Milroy, Indiana, United States
“Best value in chicago”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

If you are tired of small hotel rooms you need to try the Chicago South Loop Hotel. Nice large clean rooms, wonderful staff . only thing I would have liked to have had was a nice coffee shop,and room service. There was a "canateen" where you could get a simple breakfast, and coffee but you either sat on stools at a bar, or took the items back to your room.
There is a nice restaurant and bar in the hotel which I did not use so can not review the food. Gated Parking, secure entry to the hotel and a staff that will go the extra mile for you is reason enough to stay at this hotel.
My only complaint was the rude, and loud neighbors, who came in late and made all kinds of noise in the hallway. when asked to keep it quiet, I was told to shut up and go in my room. This problem was handled by the staff and no further noise was heard the rest of the night.
I had business at McCormick place and was able to park my car for free at the hotel and take a $6.00 cab ride the few blocks to the center and not worry about finding parking. I can not say enough about the staff who allowed me a late check-out which made my experience even better. I will definitely use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for the quiet side of the Hotel. Hotel needs to sound proff the doors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed your experience and found the hotel so accommodating. I apologize for the noisy neighbors, but pleased to hear security was able to resolve the issue.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed February 2013. No problems at all. A very comfortable hotel and another great thing...parking is free! The hotel was clean, rooms are large, refrigerator in the room, staff was very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was great. Easy taxi ride to McCormick Place for a little over $5. You could walk to McCormick if the weather was nice. After reading other reviews, we asked for a room on the quiet side and it was very quiet. We also parked in the gated lot which was right outside the lobby doors. Thanks to reading the other reviews we decided to stay and glad we did!

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the quiet side after reading other reviews...it was very quiet. We parked in...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words. It is true that we are conviently located near McCormick Place. We also just had new beds placed in all the rooms! See you soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I found a fantastic rate on H O T WR. Worth every penny. Less than 2 miles to McCormick Center. Free parking, not a place where you can walk to find things to do. I did not use the business center, it had a 4-5 computers and a printer. I used the fitness center, it was clean and all the equipment was in working order.

• Stayed January 2013
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Great to hear that you really enjoyed our hotel. And you are right; McCormick Place is conviently close to the hotel. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We agree with other reviews about the size of the room, cleanliness, and the location, which were all great. We requested the quieter side and did not hear anything. We also found out they had gated parking, so we moved our car from the regular to the gated parking lot.

Not wanting to drive anymore, we decided to go to the bar to have something to eat and ordered the burger with fries. It was out of this world! A huge portioned burger with delicious fries. We ended up ordering more fries to take back to our room!

Room Tip: Request the quiet side of the hotel, and ask for the gated parking.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the kind words. Glad to hear that you such a positive experience with us. We also agree that the bar and restaurant do a great job. Next time try the grilled chicken sandwich!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Big room. Fridge. Clean. Located right on the bus route, which will take you directly to the Pier in less that 30 mins. Nowhere around there to get a coffee/food except a lackluster canteen on the main floor, but it was so easy to use local transport to get around the City I would go back there. Felt totally safe going in and out of hotel from the bus stop late at night, but I wouldn't recommend wandering around the neighbourhood at that time (but that was just me, not that I know for certain if there are any problems). Had read from previous posters that front desk was not that helpful, but I didn't experience that. They were fine. It is not a luxury hotel but was a good value for your money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you!
Kansas City, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights over the Christmas holiday, based on other reviews we asked for a "quiet room". The Subway/Metra runs close to one side of this hotel, being on the parking lot side however it was very quiet.

Located close to McCormick place, Chinatown, Highway access and of course the Metra.

Very nice lobby, very friendly staff (and guests for that matter)

Not a 4 star property but nice and clean and comfortable with big rooms. Can't beat the prices.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side away from Metra/Subway are very quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hope to see you back soon!
Louisville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

There aren't many places to eat nearby, but Millennium Park is only about 20 minutes by bus and there's a stop right on the corner of State and 26th (be sure to remember that, maybe even write it on your hand).

I've paid more to park downtown than I paid to spend the night at this lovely hotel. And although I feared it might be loud or seedy or unclean, it was perfectly fine on all three counts. The room was clean and truly large, which was only a problem because it made it hard for my aging eyes to see the flat screen tv from bed when I watched a the one basketball game I knew I couldn't miss.

The desk agents were swift and friendly.

Suggestion: Stop at a Walgreen's and purchase 3 or 4 one day travel passes on your way in ($5.75/day). You may not have to use your car again until you leave. Children under 7 don't have to have a pass.

I stayed here with my kids (6 and 11), and it was safe and quite, but we're pretty comfortable with big cities and public transport. It would be a great place for bicycling enthusiasts, because the lake-shore trails are nearby and easily accessed. If the weather's nice, it's an easy walk to the museum campus. We came in winter and were focused on the museums and ice-skating at Millennium Park, but now I hope comparable deals are available in the spring. Great for Obama fans, too, because Hyde Park is about the same distance south as Millennium Park is north.

If you like architecture, Mies van de Rohe and Frank Lloyd Wright are blocks away. If you are literary, then re-read a few chapters from Saul Bellow's "Humboldt's Gift" before you arrive.

This hotel has embraced a great business model. I hope they prosper. My only suggestion would be to rent bikes and sell packed lunches. I'll be back either way. Oh yeah: the room had a refrigerator and a huge bathroom.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Hope to see you on your return to Chicago!