“Loud, very basic and miles away from anywhere!” 1 of 5 stars

Chicago South Loop Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   11 West 26th Street, and W 26th St, Chicago, IL 60616   |
Ranked #96 of 168 hotels in Chicago
London
“Loud, very basic and miles away from anywhere!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Well to start with the positive, the staff were polite enough and the room was clean. However everything else about this stay was horrible. We were in Chicago during marathon weekend so when my other half booked most other places were fully booked and we ended up here as it was one of the most reasonably priced hotels available.

The hotel is a long way from pretty much everything we wanted to see and do; tourist attractions, good nightlife, nice restaurants etc. which meant we ended up spending a lot on cabs during the weekend we were there. The hotel and rooms are very basic and definitely no frills but the main thing that brings this hotel down in my ratings was the terrible "club" downstairs. I don't know if it was a regular event or if it had been hired out but every night of the weekend there was a dubious crowd hanging around by the entrance to it and the music was truly awful, believe me I know because from my 3rd floor room I could hear it as loud as if I was actually in there! Ruined what was already a very average experience. Honestly all I can say is do not stay at this hotel unless your only concern is cost. For me I would rather spend a fortune to stay somewhere nicer and more central if I return to Chicago, and we visited bars in some of the other hotels there so I know there are definitely nicer places!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
I would like to apologize for the negative experience you encountered at our hotel. We strive for a guest experience that is both courteous and comfortable and apologize that we fell short. Please contact me if you would like to discuss your issues further.

Ryan Doyle
t. 312-674-2241 (direct)
t. 312-225-7000 x 1010
f. 312-225-2396
e. rdoyle@fhginc.com

686 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Bluffton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here for 3 days while attending a conference at McCormick Place. My stay was extremely pleasant. Everyone at the hotel, restaurant, and bar were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, comfortable, and well-attended. The coffee shop in the mornings was great for breakfast to go or eat in. The nicest part was the fact that it was one of the most affordable hotels within walking distance to McCormick Place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMCSL, Front Office Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chicago!
Rishton Lancashire England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed here for 3 NIghts in Sept. Reception staff on arrival where very helpful rooms are large and looks like they had just been refurbished nice bathroom flat screen TV air con a bit noisy but as it was Sept did not need to use it. Location of the hotel is not central like they say but there is a good bus stop right at the door but it can take a good 30-40 mins at peak time.As we did not arrived until after 7 pm decided to eat in the Restuarant the food was good but was a bit pricey for what you got wine was expensive compared to everywhere else we went after this, but overall quite good there is nothing near this hotel for you to go to eat so the hotel as a monopoly at night. Loved Chicago but would probably stay somewhere nearer next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your survey. The bus is a convenient way to get downtown and Chinatown is just around the corner for some fantastic food ideas. Hope to see you again!
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were in Chicago for the Chicago Marathon. We initially had a reservation closer to the start but it was over $100 more a night and at least $25 a day for parking. So I changed our reservation to the Chicago South Loop Hotel. We were pleasantly surprised! This hotel is an excellent value for the price. Front desk staff was very friendly. The room was larger than average, clean and quiet. Did I mention that parking was also free?? The only down side is that its 4 miles away from all the action but a cab was very easy to get. Overall a very good experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
RDoyle76, Front Office Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you so much. Glad to see you enjoyed your experience!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was in Chicago in October 2012 to host a seminar. The Chicago South Loop Hotel was presented to me as an up and coming hotel near the south side of Chicago. I was pleased with the guest services as well as the cleanliness and size of the room. Staff members went out of their way to make sure that my stay was pleasant and comfortable. The next time I am in Chicago I plan to host my event at this hotel. SPJ

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
This is great to hear. Can not wait to welcome you back.
Talihina, Oklahoma, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The rooms were very clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and always on hand for any help. It was fairly close to near by attractions.
The only thing they didn't have was a microwave in the room, which would've been easier to heat up left overs and snacks, but all in all it was a great stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words. We have placed a microwave in our business center for guest use. Hope to see you soon.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised on our stay. This hotel is an excellent value for the price. Front desk staff were very friendly. The room was larger than average and had a refrigerator that I didn't expect but appreciated. I'm a light sleeper but the room was quiet and I slept very well. A request for extra pillows was attended to immediately. Parking is free and secure which is unheard of in a Chicago hotel. When we lived in Chicago 20 years ago this would have been a dicey area but it is gentrifying and I felt very safe. Public transit access is excellent and the interstate is easy to get to as well. I can't comment on the other facilities as we didn't use them - too busy!! All in all I was very pleased and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you and we hope to see you soon.

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!