“Dont Bother” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Flint, Michigan
“Dont Bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Dont even bother with this hotel. The picture are acurate, but the little things dont show. The front desk staff was new and poorly trained. The sports bar and resturant attached were not impressive and priced too high for the bad quality of food. The room was decent, nothing to brag about. The bed was like sleeping on a rock. The parking lot was nice because it is gated but has the size to fit a couple of hot wheels cars. The thing that bothered me the most was the start and end of my stay. When i booked the room i booked the Shedd Package, which includes 2 VIP tickets (which were described as tickets that allow me to surpass lines anywhere, which is not the case, AT ALL) to the aquarium. Upon arrival i asked about the tickets and was told they are waiting at Will Call. I veririfed that as i walked away and was told "yes, theyll be waiting there for you". I woke up the next morning to go to the aquarium with my girlfriend and was told that i do not get to skip the line and that i had to wait in line for my tickets. We waited an hour to get to the will call desk and got to the desk and was told that there we not tickets waiting for us. I contacted the hotel and was hung up on by the front desk person, at which point i decided it wasnt worth it and we didnt get into the aquarium.

When following up with the hotel the next morning, I spoke with a lady at the desk i wasn't familiar with and was given attitude when i asked for a manager.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
CSLManager, General Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Please accept my apology for the inconveniences that you encountered. We have recently switched computer systems and the team is still getting comfortable. The mishandling of your Shedd Aquarium tickets was completely unacceptable. Please look for my email. I will be contacting you to make things right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

My stay at the Chicago South Loop hotel was a very enjoyable time, the rooms were big amd it wasn't overaly expensive. The service was great, especially the concierge Dave was very helpful with our questions about Chicago and helping us make sure our time was well spent.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I got this hotel on Priceline. I've never had a problem with Priceline when booking hotels. I think they're great. I called in the afternoon before my arrival to confirm my reservation and to inform them that I would be a late check in since my flight was arriving late. When I arrived to the hotel at 1am they didn't have my reservation. I had printed my reservation and receipt and had it with me. The front desk employee told me they were updating their system and it may have been that my reservation was canceled. Sure good thing I had my print out. The employee made a new reservation for me and got me a room about an hour later. He tried calling Priceline for me but was unsuccessful at reaching anyone. So I called them myself, I was on hold for a long time. At 3am, when I was already settled in and ready to go to sleep, I got a call from the front desk asking to come back so that they can get a copy off all my info because it could not wait till the morning. After that I went back to the my room and called Priceline again. It was about 3:30am. I called the front desk while talking to Priceline and the guy at the front desk said they had found my reservation. It was filed in the wrong spot. It was pretty annoying.

As far as the hotel goes, the lobby is really nice. But it's almost like a facade. Once you go the hallway and rooms it goes down one star. The rooms could be updated. Things look old which make it look dirty. But for the most part it's a clean hotel. The rooms are big along with the bathroom.

Also, it's loud. You hear everyone who walks past your door. And we were next to the ice machine room so we got to hear that too.

The good thing is is that the bus to downtown is across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Chgoguy80, Front Office Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We have gone through a system switch-over while you were staying here and I do apologize that you did not feel you recieved the level of customer care we are commited to. My staff is very dedicated and have been working very hard during the switch-over in order to assist our guests. In the future I will make sure they recieve the proper training on how to handle such situations so we can move forward and better serve you. In addition to late check-in we also accommodate early check-in at no additional charge as well as late check-out. Thank you.
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

We are in town for a Trade Show and have a lot of running around to do, setting up, receiving our merchandise etc. The Chicago South Loop Hotel staff has been wonderful. Kevin Rowe, our bellman always greets us with a smile, knows when our boxes come in and is alway ready to deliver our boxes either to our room or car.
Area is business with our bank, FedEx, Home Depot, Staples, Target, great eating places all within a couple of miles. Right down the street from the convention center.

We would come back again.

Iowa City, IA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

I stay regularly for business. The staff remember me and make me feel welcome. Shout out to Kevin R, Ronald, and Jackie at the front desk for always making my stay so pleasant.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

The rooms were large and very clean. a short walk to the McCormick center( 18 minutes with wife walking slow ). Staff was very helpful. Easy bus or taxi ride to downtown. The internet was very slow but it was being worked on. Front desk help was super. The restaurant in the hotel is not operated by the hotel but the food is excellent and the price is average. The only drawback was the breakfast service was very slow. We ate one dinner there and the service and food were great. Very Busy bar with great bar food from the restaurant next door.

Wyoming, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

I recently spent a long weekend in Chicago with my two young adult children, and I was more than satified with our accommodations at the Chicago South Loop Hotel. Our room was very large and clean, and the beds were extremely comfortable. The bathroom was remarkable, with one of the largest hotel bathtubs I have ever seen! The hotel has an amazing jazz feel, mostly due to the beautiful artwork displayed on the main level. It also boasts a resteraunt, lounge, deli, salon, fitness room, business center, and a small gift shop. Parking was plentiful and free - an unusual combination among Chicago hotels. The staff was friendly and helpful, and made us feel very much at home. The only downside was a lack of rerigerator in the room. It would also be nice if the gift shop had "set " hours instead of the sporadic hours it was open. All in all, though, we had a wonderful visit, and I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Chicago South Loop Hotel? Share your experiences!