“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #96 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Yellow Springs, Ohio
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Stayed at the Avenue Hotel in May. I wouldn't have been able to afford this place if I booked right on the actual hotel website. I went through booking.com and got the room (2 queen sized beds on the 22nd floor) for only $99 bucks a night!

Great location though. We walked everywhere!

Room was clean and the view was pretty awesome. It was great to have The Elephant and Castle (the Pub) right in the lobby of the hotel, they had an excellent beer selection, and super friendly staff. OH and the beds were really comfortable too!

Parking, however, was a nightmare. The parking at the actual hotel was 48 dollars a night... OUCH! We elected to park at the public lot next door (the hospital lot) that was 34 dollars a night.. and for the 50 hours I was in Chicago it cost me $104 for parking. They charge PER DAY opposed to PER HOUR. Watch for this..

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

715 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a short getaway after our wedding as we aren't going to be taking our actual honeymoon until this summer. Overall I thought this hotel was a fantastic value for what we got. We have stayed many places in the downtown Chicago area, from the way overpriced Hyatt Regency on Wacker to much smaller hotels like the Rafaello and Allerton. I decided I will do this review as a pros and cons list.

Pros:
-Great value. We paid $108.00 to stay in a king bed suite - you don't easily find this in the city.
-The room. The bed was fantastically comfortable. We spent many hours just laying in it and staring out the picture window. Also, the sleeper sofa in the living room was nice to pull out and watch a movie from, although not too comfortable.
-Location. Half a block east of Michigan Ave. is great. Also close to the Chicago Red Line stop if you want to go elsewhere in the city.
-The view. We were on the 36th floor in a corner suite looking south. I haven't had a better view of the city from any hotel.

Cons: (some of these are pretty picky details)
-The TV in the bedroom was an old tube TV of about 24 inches. An upgrade would be nice.
-The toilet was *very* loud in the bathroom. Easily enough to wake me up at night. It seemed I could hear it from other rooms as well.
-The heating and AC seemed a little strange. We had it set to 65 to try to cool the room and there was heat coming out. It seemed to stay at a comfortable temp, but not what it was set to.
-Parking. I have seen many people complain about $48.00 for parking. This is common for valet in the city, anywhere from $40-50. Park a block east at the hospital and you'll pay less than $20 per day.

All in all for what is rated as a 3-star hotel this was a fantastic stay. I would definitely go here again, maybe just bring earplugs to sleep with. The staff was great and as a whole it was a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

Our room was very clean, modern, attractive and spacious. Location was great, staff was very friendly and helpful. View was fantastic. Beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

It was a beautiful one-bedroom suite, a little small but for the price a GREAT deal. The bathroom was really too small, however, and I had to call down twice for more clothes hangers. But what really got me was the $48 per day to park my car, which was not disclosed beforehand, and ended up costing as if I stayed an extra night. That said, I would stay there next time if I didn't have a car.....

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Innsbruck
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

Having seen so many places where they rip you off and provide bad service in return, I must say this hotel finally is the exact opposite. The value for money is just great, staff is never arrogant but always helpful and friendly. Beds are great, if you order room service the portions are big and they charge you not more than you would be charged in any restaurant around the corner.
It's good to say that places like this still exist !!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
GMAvenueHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, June 2, 2009
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the Avenue Hotel in Chicago. We truly appreciate the effort to share your experience and your excitement that we indeed exceeded your expectations.

Positive comments such as yours are especially appreciated when they allow us to give credit to our dedicated staff. We are very proud of our entire Avenue team.

Again, thank you, and we look forward to your return soon!

Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

Stayed at Avenue Hotel on the Miracle Mile in Chicago for 1 night recently. The room was great, fabulous king sized bed, lovely furnishings with a full sized desk and flat screen tv. The bathroom was small but adequate and really appreciated the hairdryer and additional magnifying mirror. Parking steep at $48, but found a place on Ontario St about 2 blocks away, around the corner from Trader Joes (another perk) for $32. The bed was really great, we both slept like babies! We had friends staying at the Omni - literally across Michigan Avenue from us and they preferred our room. Believe me, we definitely got the better deal! If you manage to get a great deal - like under $100.00 it's definitely the place to stay! The location was excellent also and you could walk everywhere. The Elephant and Castle adjacent was great for breakfast. The Sky Bar was very nice, but it was a cloudy day when we were there, but we sat by the fire to dry off and it was lovely.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are so pleased you enjoyed the hotel. We are fortunate to have such an excellent and convenient location, comfortable beds, and a terrific team that continues to surpass the guests expectations! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

NW Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

Very nice place one block off of Michigan Avenue. Only a few blocks from Water Tower Place, Gino's East and many other great places to shop and eat. My 3 co-workers and I spent 3 days during a conference. We had no trouble finding good food and entertainment within walking distance. We recommend Jake Melnicks (casual sports bar w/ great food), ESPN Zone, Corner Bakery, and the Elephant and Castle, a great British restaurant and pub right next to the hotel. Get the breakfast with Irish bangers (sausages).
As for the hotel, we had a mix of rooms, mostly great. One was just OK size wise, and 3 were larger suites with wonderful views of downtown and\or Lake Michigan. Make sure to ask reservations staff to get the room size and view that you want. Reservations staff was very accommodating - our non-profit group received a free upgrade (to suites) from their friendly staff - how nice! Rooms were very clean and modern. Beds were very comfortable. There are only eight rooms on each floor so sleeping was easy. It was quiet considering the proximity to Northwestern Memorial and Michigan Avenue. You're not going to get away from the noise in this immediate neighborhood. Wireless internet access was free and worked fine. Parking is valet only. Car was always available within 5 minutes of request and valet staff was great. I would spend the few dollars extra. Self park is one block away and very tempting, but it is a pain to haul your stuff back and forth. Front desk staff was helpful and attentive, except upon arrival. I checked in around 10pm on 4/5 and that registration person was indifferent. Everything else was very good. I would go back again. I think my kids would like a shot at the outdoor pool when the weather gets a bit warmer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Avenue Hotel. I was especially pleased to read of the superb service you received from our staff and was equally pleased to know you found your accommodations clean and comfortable.

Your comments are always welcomed, thank you for taking the time to share them with us. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to Chicago’s Avenue Hotel.

Avenue Hotel Chicago

Been to Crowne Plaza Chicago Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!