“Just one word: GREAT!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #96 of 168 hotels in Chicago
ITALY
“Just one word: GREAT!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I MUST write this review: I travel very often but this is the first time I have found an hotel like this. This is a real gem in Chicago: closed to everything, great rooms, great offers and packages, great bath amenities, gret assistance, everything GREAT!!!
We will recommend this hotel to EVERYONE (business, honeymoon, vacation etc.) because we only have found surprises and precise professional assistance from the check-in, to the valet parking etc.
We booked well in advance and were very lucky to use a special offer (opening package) which was only $99.00!!
Our room was on 37th floor (high floor as requested) and the view was simply gorgeous. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever tried and all the bath amenities were to be tried!
We will definetely stay here again!

• Liked — Assistance, professional staff, cleaning, originality
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GMAvenueHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 26, 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at Avenue Hotel Chicago. I was especially pleased to read of the superb service you received from our staff. I have taken the liberty of sharing your kind comments with our staff, and they were thrilled by your recognition. We take great pride in our service, and it is through comments, such as yours, that we are encouraged to continue in our efforts. We are very proud to have team members who enjoy their job and take pride in helping others.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your comments. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Avenue Hotel Chicago in the near future.

Kind regards,

Mik Mahdavi

714 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

I've been to Chicago eight times in the past seven years, and this hotel ranks #1 for me, tied with the much more expensive InterContinental.

The fact that they upgraded the room to a corner suite for our honeymoon at no extra charge didn't hurt. The view from the 34th floor is great.

The rooftop pool is nice, the Elephant Bar downstairs is lively, and the service desk has been responsive to every request we have happened to make over the past three days.

The location has been great, too. A block from shopping (for the wife), and about a 5 minute walk from the loop.

All in all, I'll be coming back here again.

• Liked — The value you get for the price
  • Disliked — The robes are a bit "loud" (we had to think hard)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GMAvenueHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, September 8, 2008
Dear Guest,

Congratulations! So glad you chose Avenue Hotel Chicago for your honeymoon . We truly appreciate you taking the time to write a review and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Mik Mik Mahdavi
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

I was luckily enough to find a great, pet friendly hotel in Chicago on "Bring Fido.com". I stayed at the Avenue Hotel Chicago and had a terrific experience with my bischon, Mickey.

The rooms were very large so I didn't feel bad leaving Mickey. There was a great walking area right by Lake Michigan, only 2 blocks over. The hotel was convenient to everything and although they accept pets you would never know it. It was very quiet and comfortable. I would highly recommend Avenue Hotel Chicago for anyone looking for a dog friendly hotel in Chicago.

• Liked — large rooms
  • Stayed August 2008
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

My family (myself, husband and two kids) stayed at the Avenue for a weekend getaway. We wanted a great hotel that was right in the heart of Mag Mile and the Avenue did not disappoint! As we pulled up, the valet greeted us immediately and hustled our bags inside. The woman at the registration desk was friendly, quick and efficient. We were up in our room in no time! We had booked a regular guest room with some reservations, as there were four of us and we’ve had bad experiences with cramped downtown hotel rooms, but decided to go ahead as the Avenue claims to have extra-spacious rooms. They did not disappoint us! The room was very large, clean and impressively decorated, with a wonderful king-sized bed, sofa sleeper, desk with chair, large flat-screen television and lots of room to spread out and get comfy. They also had a docking station for my son’s iPod and free wireless Internet access, something my husband appreciated very much. We all enjoyed the rooftop pool and sundeck immensely. The views from the 40th floor were amazing! All of the staff was very friendly and helpful when asked for suggestions for other places to dine. The location could not be beat! It was literally steps to Michigan Avenue and close to many of our favorite places to visit downtown, including American Girl Place. We had a great experience with this hotel and will not hesitate to come back, whether with the kids or for an adults-only weekend.

Stayed July 2008
st. louis, mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

This hotel is in a great location and they follow that up with an outstanding stay. Good size to the rooms for having 2 queen beds in them - extremely comfortable! Nice amenities such as a one cup coffee maker and flat screen television. Elephant Bar in the hotel is great for late night fare as well as a good choice for breakfast. Close to lake, shopping and nightlife - all for the cheapest rate (at least right now) on Michigan Ave!

• Liked — Price and comfort of room
  • Disliked — No store close by or food / water in room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

we have stayed at this hotel several times but this is the first time since it has been renamed the Avenue. The room was updated and bed was comfortable. The location of this hotel is excellent.....right on the Mile for shopping and walking. We will definitely be staying here again.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Vernon Hills, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

I stayed here for a 3 day conference and had nothing but problems from the moment I checked in. Twice on the first day my room key got deactivated - and it was never near a credit card or cell phone! It wasnt only me either, people in line next to me were having the same problem and the hotel staff claimed to not know of anyone else experiencing the same issue. Then it turns out the a/c wasnt working correctly in my room and all that came out was humid air. When I got back to my room it was fixed but the smoke detector was taken off the wall and was hanging down with the wires out. That night I discovered a huge swarm of bugs above the bed! The hotel staff immediately assumed I had opened the windows (which I didnt because my view was of construction) but reassigned me to another room - at 1 am. Then I bought internet service for my room with the wireless keyboard that was provided, but not a single website worked.

The a/c units are also terribly noisy (no matter what temp air is coming out of them). It is so inconvinient to get to the business center and fitness center because you have to take 2 sets of elevators. I found out it used to be a radisson so maybe it explains some of it - but dont waste your time or money here!

• Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GMAvenueHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 14, 2008
Dear Guest:

I am so sorry that your experience at our hotel was not acceptable to you. The issues you mention are certainly of concern to us and we appreciate you bringing them to our attention. We have a high approval rating from the majority of our guests so when we hear of a stay such as yours we are surprised and very concerned.

Please know that we realize how inconvenient and frustrating it can be to have a key deactivate and I am sorry you had that experience. We had an issue with our key card machine not processing correctly and have worked through the problem with the supplier. We strive to create a safe environment for our guests and an electronic key card is an excellent way to provide a secure guest room.

It is unfortunate that you had difficulties with your air conditioner. We have an excellent engineering department who is quick to respond to any problems (which was noted in your case). I do apologize that the smoke detector was left hanging. We have addressed this with the team and it is has been added to their check list, which they complete when servicing a room. All of the air-conditioning units are in the process of being replaced which will cut down on any noise. We began the process of replacing the units at the beginning of the year and this will be complete in the next few weeks.

We have a terrific location with the lake just a short walk away. Chicago is obviously hot and humid in the summer and this naturally attracts tiny lake bugs. We do everything possible to keep these pests out, including noting it in a letter in each room asking guests to keep the windows closed. Unfortunately even if you didn’t open your window, the person next to you may have and that is how the pests got inside your room. We are currently looking into other options such as sealing the windows. I guess having these pests for a few months out of the year is the price we pay for a location with spectacular views of Lake Michigan.

I am sorry you found the fitness center and business center location inconvenient. After researching what guests want in a hotel workout area, view was one of the top requests. That is why we placed it on the 7th floor, with a great view of Chicago. The complimentary, 24- hour, business center is also placed on the 7th floor to serve both the hotel guests and the guests attending meetings on our lower floors.

It is no secret that we used to be Radisson Hotel and Suites Chicago. In fact that is one of the draws of the hotel. We have over 150 1-bedroom and junior suites and 200 spacious guest rooms (over 300 sq. ft. each). We have also undergone a multi-million dollar renovation to create a new, upscale, boutique hotel.

Once again I apologize for the problems you encountered while staying with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope you will reconsider and try us again sometime. If so, please contact me directly and I am happy to personally assist you with your reservation and follow up to your stay.

Mik Mahdavi
Avenue Hotel Chicago

Been to Crowne Plaza Chicago Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!