“Good for the little ones.” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Observatories/ Planetariums, Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Adler has a prime location on the lake, but keeps its eyes on the stars.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Barrie, Canada
13 attraction reviews
“Good for the little ones.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

We visited the Planetarium as part of the Chicago City Pass. It was good, but we expected more. The exibits were small, you could zoom through the place very fast. You had a choice of two movies 3D and the dome (which was awsome). My husband fell asleep during the 30min 3D movie. You are able to choose two features from a list of 10 or more movies to see. We enjoyed the whole planetarium experience as our children have never been to one, but noone was overly excited about it or the exibits. I would recommend it for families with small kids to play around on the "play moon", but for adults it was rather boring...unless you are interested in that kind of stuff.

Westerville, OH
45 attraction reviews
“Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I had a great time here! We saw two star shows and we walked around and saw the exhibits. We were very pleased with what we saw and what we learned. We did this as part of the City Pass. That was a bargain and we definitely enjoyed ourselves.

Southern Ontario, Canada
43 attraction reviews
“Good shows and exhibits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

The Night Sky and Journey to the Stars shows are very well done. There are also good exhibits on space and our solar system. The cafeteria has good offerings. In addition, the original planetarium building is quite beautiful. Not to mention the excellent skyline views

Sulphur Springs, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“STAY AWAY!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I am a father of two, ages 14/11. The family and I were in Chicago for a weeks vacation. We got the City Pass and this was one of the stops that came with the package deal. So we got up one morning and take a taxi from downtown to this museum. Will I have been to several musuem with may children and this one is the worst I have of every seen, Has far as entertaining and teaching them about space travel and astronomy this Museum did not do this. Yeh they had some displays, and some rooms with pictures, and some historical items and models but that was about it. For $70 for the four of us I ws hoping for a lot more. This museum was boring, dark and no teaching classes for people. While I was walking around I notice that the were trying to raising money. I guess to keep this place open or to remodel. Their goals was 40 million dollar , I hope it is for remodeling because it need it. The musuem was clean and it is a pretty good place to see the skyline and the lake but that is it. Now for the parents that have very young children and you just have to get out of the house if you know what I mean. This is the place for you. It is that boring and your kids will fall asleep instantly. So enjoy your trip and have a nice day.

new york
“Regret going”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

I went to the Adler Planetarium and sat through the planetarium star show. I felt like I was back at school in an astronomy class. Not what I expected. Rather than a lecture, I was expecting a bit more of a show, similar to the Planetarium in the History Museum in New York. This one seemed a bit dated and was boring.