“The best natural History museum I have ever been to.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Field Museum

The Field Museum
1400 S Lake Shore Dr, Chicago, IL 60605-2496 (South Loop)
312 922 9410
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of America's premier natural history museums, the Field's "Live over Time" exhibit now houses "Sue," the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex ever discovered.
Columbus, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
“The best natural History museum I have ever been to.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I could spend a week here. DC has nothing on Chicago in this case. I could spend a week here. DC has nothing on Chicago in this case. I could spend a week here. DC has nothing on Chicago in this case. I could spend a week here. DC has nothing on Chicago in this case.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
“Excellent Nature Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Although not quite as extensive as the Natural History Museum in NYC, it was very similar in many respects. Docents were numerous and very helpful

Ohio
34 attraction reviews
“Even if you have already seen dino exhibits elsewhere...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

don't miss this museum. The plaques frequently state, quite truthfully, that it is unknown how this or that happened, but that it is guessed that such and such caused this or that. The portrayals are extremely honest. We also enjoyed a special short-term exhibit. We were a few days too early for the special exhibit about the cave paintings in southern France. That hurt! But the exhibit may travel elsewhere, so we hope to catch up to it someday. It was kinda cool that a McDonalds restaurant was on-site. There were multiple hints that this museum cares about making the experience a good one for kids--as well as adults.

Kansas City, Missouri
41 attraction reviews
“Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, oh my! FANTASTIC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Anthropology, Sociology, Ancient History, Cultural, and Natural History all tied int together. There is a lot to see, learn, and read. I especially enjoyed the Evolving Planet where there were dinosaurs, an single-celled organisms. There was also a short film on the theories how dinos became extinct. . Another section I really found fascinating was Ice-age mammoth hunters, how families first settled in villages, empires of the Incas and Aztecs, and many other groups of people I never heard of. Learning about Ancient life was fascinating.
In other sections of the museum one can learn about plants, animals, and beautiful gems. Inside Ancient Egypt was fascinating learning about tombs and mummies.Mammals of Asia taught me about tigers, leopards and bears. The African exhibit was full of valuable information along with the Pacific Northwest. And wait to you see the shoe display! Lots and Lots of shoes, all kinds. North American Indians was fun and the dinosaur Sue is in the museum lobby proud and tall. We ate lunch in the cafeteria which was decently priced and the food was good. There is also a McDonalds in the museum as well. I was disappointed about parking being $22.00. I felt that was a complete rip off. Other than that it was a nice day. We spent about 5 hours at the museum including breaking for lunch. .

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, United States
3 attraction reviews
“All Day Event”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I will admit I made a trip to Illinois from MN just to be able to come here and see Sue. Stayed in a town with my boyfriend's family a few hours away, but we made the trip to Chicago that morning. The museum, if you are interested enough and want to get your money's worth, can be an all day event. You walk in and there are some exhibits off to your side but what really catches your attention is the T rex at the far end of the entry! I made my way straight toward it. They have specialists there walking around to inform you of the story of Sue from the evidence they have based on the conditions of her bones and where she was found--very cool and makes the experience better than having to read off of a plaque for example. When I was there during summer 2012, they also had a Genghis Khan exhibit and others I can't quite remember. The Egyptian exhibit is also pretty neat. The dinosaurs were by far my favorite part. The only downside is they have the world's most expensive McDonald's inside, and there aren't really other places to eat in the building which is unfortunate.

Visited July 2012